UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Best Guitar for Me (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1588162)

deks 02-14-2013 05:15 AM

Best Guitar for Me

Hi guys I need some help to recommend me the best electric guitar for me!

It would need to have:

-humbucker with split coil
-fit for solos (low action/thin neck)
-not too dark sound
-no tremolos at all (hate them)
-price around 1.500 dollars

Thanks!!!

dannyalcatraz 02-14-2013 12:52 PM

Lots of options in that price range...tell us more about:

- Preferred musical style and favorite genres & bands
- body styles you hate or love
- where you are located, and is that US dollars or someone else's

Bazz22 02-14-2013 12:54 PM

Also, how long have you been playing?

Good god, I wish I had your budget.

narinderkapur 02-14-2013 01:30 PM

Straight up choice, the PRS SE Paul Allender. It has everything you want, plus it does a wide variety of styles, REALLY well. It does have a tremolo system, but that can be dealt with, I suppose.

deks 02-14-2013 01:37 PM

I really play everything from jazz to metal, so it should be versatile as much as it's possible. I was kinda thinking about Ibanez....?
Shape is not that important, provided it's solid body.
About budget, I don't know if you've heard old saying - "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things". Believe me every word is true ;)
I live in Europe.

dannyalcatraz 02-14-2013 01:54 PM

Well, my go-to suggestion in that price range is to check out brands that do custom work and luthiers.

I currently buy from a handful of luthiers, especially Jon Kammerer guitars. I currently own 5 JKGs: an acoustic, a solidbody, a semihollow and 2 hollowbodies.

He can be found on Facebook, and after a time, his website is on the verge of being re-launched after a malware crash. (The new site is still skeletal, but you might get an inkling...)

http://jonkammererguitars.com/

His standard guitars all feature:

24 frets
25.5" scale
have pickups from Golden Age, Seymour Duncan or a couple other brands
Blind fret slots

Options include things like exact pickup configuration, coil splitting, tremolo, colors, etc.*

Body styles include Strat-like guitars, single, double & no cuts an even a couple of headless models.

Prices start at $1000 for standard models, $2000 for full custom.

I do not know about his international shipping policies.

* of my 5 JKGs, one has a trem, 2 have coil splitting.

Tom 1.0 02-14-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deks
I really play everything from jazz to metal, so it should be versatile as much as it's possible. I was kinda thinking about Ibanez....?
Shape is not that important, provided it's solid body.
About budget, I don't know if you've heard old saying - "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things". Believe me every word is true ;)
I live in Europe.

Where abouts in Europe?

J_W 02-14-2013 02:10 PM

Thin necks and low action, Ibanez is pretty hard to beat. Their neck profiles are really thin and flat which is great for low action. I'd look around and see if you can find a nice used prestige or a j craft.

dannyalcatraz 02-14-2013 02:11 PM

In the NON-custom world, I suggest looking at a brands like:

Reverend
Godin
G&L
Fernandes
Fret-King
Malden

All have quality guitars in your price range. In the interests of full disclosure, of those brands, I curently own a Reverend and a Fernandes, have a Malden on lay-away, and am actively looking at the others. (GAS is a horrible taskmaster! :D)

Of those brands, I'm thinking Godins and Fernandes have the "fastest" necks. The only Maldens I think you'd like would be the Karma or its "heavier" limited edition cousin, the Bad Karma.

g1jammer 02-14-2013 03:38 PM

Second hand PRS CE24...comes/options included a fat thin neck. Has a trem but doesn't get in the way. HFS and Vintage pickups make it fairly versatile http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...e_24/index.html

dannyalcatraz 02-14-2013 03:59 PM

PRS makes great guitars. I know they have models without trems, though, so why not one of those?

g1jammer 02-14-2013 04:15 PM

Try a second hand PRS SC245 then ;) The CE24 is very versatile though so worth putting on the list.

progdude93 02-14-2013 06:11 PM

Suhr. Or Suhr. And as a third choice, also Suhr. You can easily find a used Suhr in great condish in your price range. DO IT! A friend of mine had one, but he moved away before I could steal it :(

RyanStorm13 02-14-2013 06:28 PM

You can't go wrong with Fender, Gibson or PRS. But when I read the first post, I was thinking Ibanez, but maybe an ESP.

$1500 or Euros is in the real guitar range. I tend to go towards price/performance so I might end up getting something cheap and putting money into an amp, I mean were talking MIA Fender's, Gibson Standard area, ESP Eclipse 2, or Ibanez Prestige areas. But you could get a 2012 Gibson Studio, and put your leftovers into a amp or a bass.

You have plenty of options, and they are all good.

deks 02-15-2013 04:40 AM

Thanks guys for good suggestions. Some of those guitars I have never heard about but I'm checkin' them ;)

Tom 1.0 02-15-2013 04:53 AM

Again.... Where in Europe are you and what's for budget in Euros?

dannyalcatraz 02-15-2013 05:06 AM

That's about 1130.

g1jammer 02-15-2013 01:42 PM

Don't go the Ibanez Prestige way!

redandwhite12 02-15-2013 03:33 PM

The new Les Paul studios have coil taps, thin 60's necks, a fixed bridge, and cost a little less than your original budget. It's what I would get anyways.

JAHellraiser 02-15-2013 04:40 PM

"fit for solos" is really up to you. you can get a low action from a setup, but low and thin (neck) are subjective. low and thin to me could be different from yours. so you'll need to try out some guitars to find what you like.