UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   How to identify genuine Schaller floyd rose springs? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1588169)

e32lover 02-14-2013 06:56 AM

How to identify genuine Schaller floyd rose springs?
 
Hi,

I bought some schaller trem springs, to replace the cheap chinese ones in my Floyd Rose 1000. How to tell if they are genuine or not?

Robbgnarly 02-14-2013 07:27 AM

I dont think it matters with springs, they are all just springs

Ibbod0 02-14-2013 09:34 AM

yeah, i've never heard anybody worry about the springs. I know ESP japan makes their "tremolo tone springs" which are meant to improve the transfer of vibrations to the body of the guitar. I'm a little curious but not enough to actually buy some.. lol

edit:
if you want the real deal, buy them from here: http://www.musiciansarsenal.com/flo...pringset-3.aspx

Floyd rose sells their parts direct through this site.

T00DEEPBLUE 02-14-2013 04:55 PM

Springs are just springs.

e32lover 02-14-2013 07:55 PM

Hmm, the springs are actually one of the most important parts of the trem, the spring properties are vital to the performance of the trem.

After some research I am pretty sure that the ones I bought are genuine. They have some kind of coating over them that the original chinese ones dont. I guess to stop unwanted vibration.

I do find that the springs in the floyd rose 1000 do sag a bit more than the gotoh ones in my Ibanez.

Looking forward to testing out the new ones.

A car is a car, hyundai or ferrari their all the same

T00DEEPBLUE 02-14-2013 07:57 PM

Springs are an important part of the trem, but there isn't really such a thing as 'better' springs for your trem. It's like saying that a mouse is important for your computer, but a better mouse won't make your PC any faster.

And i have never heard of a 'coating' that absorbs vibration. How does that even work without impeding their springiness?

4FunandProphet 02-15-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
And i have never heard of a 'coating' that absorbs vibration. How does that even work without impeding their springiness?


It's just an elastic coating to help absorb the odd harmonics and resonance that trem springs will pick up and amplify. Strat and FR guys have used foam under the springs or pieces of drinking straws inside the springs for years to do the same thing.

Arby911 02-15-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e32lover
Hmm, the springs are actually one of the most important parts of the trem, the spring properties are vital to the performance of the trem.

After some research I am pretty sure that the ones I bought are genuine. They have some kind of coating over them that the original chinese ones dont. I guess to stop unwanted vibration.

I do find that the springs in the floyd rose 1000 do sag a bit more than the gotoh ones in my Ibanez.

Looking forward to testing out the new ones.

A car is a car, hyundai or ferrari their all the same


Yes, springs will have different properties, but that doesn't make one 'better' or 'worse'.

To check if the springs are original, the originals have the manufacturers code laser engraved on the spring wire, the code you're looking for is rufkm.

T00DEEPBLUE 02-15-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4FunandProphet
It's just an elastic coating to help absorb the odd harmonics and resonance that trem springs will pick up and amplify. Strat and FR guys have used foam under the springs or pieces of drinking straws inside the springs for years to do the same thing.

The latter is what i would do. Why come up with a solution to a problem that no longer exists?

4FunandProphet 02-16-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
The latter is what i would do. Why come up with a solution to a problem that no longer exists?


They wouldn't be good businessmen if they couldn't sell people things that they don't need, now would they?

trashedlostfdup 02-16-2013 02:05 AM

i paid like $4 for a five pack of allpart springs. i just buy them because i need the extra tension for my tuning (mostly 11's sometimes 12's in E std).

if you don't have any more room to increase tension and already have five in there, there are high tension springs i have seen somewhere.

i am sure the way the bridge is set up, and the quality sustain block, knife edges, and saddles, etc are done right, make a bigger difference than special springs.

e32lover 02-16-2013 11:40 PM

If the springs are not extremely well engineered I imagine it will have some clear consequences, firstly and most obviously the springs would not always return exactly to where they were before, also over time they would definately sag. Like with car suspension.

e32lover 02-20-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Yes, springs will have different properties, but that doesn't make one 'better' or 'worse'.

To check if the springs are original, the originals have the manufacturers code laser engraved on the spring wire, the code you're looking for is rufkm.



This is actually not true. A recent email to Schaller confirmed that the original springs do not have any markings.

WholeLottaIzzy 02-20-2013 09:10 AM

I love how anal guitarists are :haha:

TuningGamer 02-20-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeLottaIzzy
I love how anal guitarists are :haha:


Yeah, but really, tube springs really get you that sound that solid-state springs just don't have...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.