UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Jazz Chord - harmonizing? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1588776)

Alphaform 02-18-2013 03:54 AM

Jazz Chord - harmonizing?

So what I need to do, is find some chords that seem relatively jazzy (so minor 7ths, major 7ths, 7ths etc etc) to play over some chords that the piano is playing.

We are doing
"Isn't she lovely" by Stevie wonder. The piano is playing these chords:

C#m, F#maj, Bm, Emaj, Amaj, G#maj, Bmaj

So could you help me find chords that I can play over each one that would fit in.

Thanks a bunch.

jrcsgtpeppers 02-18-2013 05:11 AM

Pick a few lead notes. Like play A a few times and then G# I guess and mess around with that lead melody. Then play those chords with that melody over it. Use 13's 9's 7's and sharps and flats for variation.

bondmorkret 02-18-2013 10:04 AM

Ok here's a suggestion:

C#m9 / F#7b9 / Bm6 / E9 / A7#11 / Gmaj7 / B6/9 / B7#11

There was only 7 chords so I assumed that the last B maj is held for 2 bars.

Here's a quick explanation:
The first three chords are a minor ii-V-i in Bm, so you'd play C# dorian, F# altered and B dorian/melodic minor.
The second three I'm harmonizing so that the A maj is a tritone substitution of G#maj, so A lydian dominant on the A, G# lydian/ionian on the G#. The B major is a bit unexpected, so I've harmonized it as an unresolving dominant, so B lydian dominant over both B chords, which will lead back to the beginning.

There's lots of ways to analyse this chord scheme, but that's my take on it :)

cdgraves 02-18-2013 10:50 AM

Use your chord inversions to voice lead.

mdc 02-18-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaform
So what I need to do, is find some chords that seem relatively jazzy (so minor 7ths, major 7ths, 7ths etc etc) to play over some chords that the piano is playing.

We are doing
"Isn't she lovely" by Stevie wonder. The piano is playing these chords:

C#m, F#maj, Bm, Emaj, Amaj, G#maj, Bmaj

So could you help me find chords that I can play over each one that would fit in.

Thanks a bunch.

C#m7 - F#7 - A/B - Emaj7
Amaj7 - G#7#5 - C#m9 - F#7 - A/B

Code:
-------4--------- -5-2-2-4-5-5-4-2-5 -4-3-2-4-6-5-4-3-6 -6-2-2---6-4-2-2-7 -4---2-------4--- ---2---0-5-4---2-7

There you go buddy

mdc 02-18-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondmorkret
Ok here's a suggestion:

C#m9 / F#7b9 / Bm6 / E9 / A7#11 / Gmaj7 / B6/9 / B7#11

There was only 7 chords so I assumed that the last B maj is held for 2 bars.

Here's a quick explanation:
The first three chords are a minor ii-V-i in Bm, so you'd play C# dorian, F# altered and B dorian/melodic minor.
The second three I'm harmonizing so that the A maj is a tritone substitution of G#maj, so A lydian dominant on the A, G# lydian/ionian on the G#. The B major is a bit unexpected, so I've harmonized it as an unresolving dominant, so B lydian dominant over both B chords, which will lead back to the beginning.

There's lots of ways to analyse this chord scheme, but that's my take on it :)

Listen to the song buddy. Those chords sound awful.