UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Buskers (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1590406)

naedauuf 02-28-2013 03:51 AM

Buskers

How do you deal with/treat them?

I usually give them around 5 bucks if they're genuinely entertaining. Not necessarily talented, but entertaining. I also usually give them around 5 minutes of time to wow me first though. I don't want to give someone money just because they're out there with an instrument. Anyone can do that.

byob_soad2 02-28-2013 03:55 AM

I've barely ever seen any. Though I'm not exactly in a populated area.

One time, I was playing my bass (unplugged) outside while waiting for my mom to pick me up, and some girl throws a quarter to/at me and made some stuck up comment. I kept that quarter though :o

progdude93 02-28-2013 03:58 AM

I walk right by them, because whenever I'm in a place where they happen to be, I'm actually doing something, or on my way to do something.

Joshua Garcia 02-28-2013 04:02 AM

I never see any on the street. Which is odd because I live pretty darn close to downtown. But I don't walk anywhere anyways.

Now, if it's a band in a public area like a small restaurant or some market center then yeah. About $5. Sometimes less if somebody else in my party does it.

slash_GNR666 02-28-2013 04:04 AM

I give them a dirty look and tell them to go and get a job

Obsceneairwaves 02-28-2013 04:05 AM

Man, I busk(used to a lot) around the clubs in perth.

Drunk people are so nice to buskers :D

I generally don't give them anything unless they impress me, entertain me, or are cool to talk to :shrug:

snipelfritz 02-28-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsceneairwaves
Man, I busk(used to a lot) around the clubs in perth.

Drunk people are so nice to buskers :D

I generally don't give them anything unless they impress me, blow me, or are cool to talk to :shrug:

huh...

:shrug:

Obsceneairwaves 02-28-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
huh...

:shrug:

Yeah it's a bit weird I know, but buskers are generally pretty poor and will do anything for money :o

cheaper than prostitutes as well :o

naedauuf 02-28-2013 04:12 AM

Keep in mind busking doesn't necessarily mean performing with instruments. I think a well done robot man is entertaining as **** :haha:

Harlot Hero 02-28-2013 04:20 AM

If I had spare money to give out, I would. Only to those who are entertaining and/or talented though.

leony03 02-28-2013 05:11 AM

Theres a few in our town centre. Theres one accordion guy whos great (given him a few quid), a guy playing things like Eric Clapton (also gave him a few quid and hes a pretty nice guy) and this guy who plays acoustic songs who is boring as shit. Normally just walk straight past him :haha:

Jacques-Henri 02-28-2013 06:14 AM

When I was in London I saw a guy doing some crazy stuff on a Chapman stick and I gave 5 quid. He was freakin' crazy.

Basically like this dude.

metacarpi 02-28-2013 06:17 AM

Don't see many, but unless they're something special I don't give them anything.

There used to be a dude in Nottingham who's right arm had been removed below the elbow. He had a strap attached to it to hold his pick and played guitar like that.

That dude got my change.

These kids hanging around in a group of 5 playing Wonderwall on infinite repeat? They get nothing but scorn and fist shaking.

naedauuf 02-28-2013 06:25 AM

Can't forget the fist shaking!

Powersurge213 02-28-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques-Henri
When I was in London I saw a guy doing some crazy stuff on a Chapman stick and I gave 5 quid. He was freakin' crazy.

There are a few guys who play stick around London- met one once at a stick conference, lovely chaps and insanely talented

edit; Was it Bucky? I remembered his name :D
http://www.muttel.com/

rocknroll93 02-28-2013 07:38 AM

funny enough, my main source of income at the moment is busking.
I don't care if people throw small amounts of coin, it all adds up.
what I really dont like is when people stand there for a song or two, really get into the music, and then walk off without throwing ANYTHING. that's what pisses me off, I mean, im out there trying to make a living, and then I get that crap, day in day out.
though today I made like $25 off another busker leaving the country, it was all in 5c, 10c and 20c pieces (AUD) and also, the weather dictates what you're going to get. I have to travel by train 1 hour to get into melbourne to busk, and then on days like today (windy and gray) you won't make anything. on a good day, ill make anywhere from $70-$120, but today, I made $30. ive had worse days though.

metacarpi 02-28-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naedauuf
Can't forget the fist shaking!

DempseyPunk 02-28-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll93
funny enough, my main source of income at the moment is busking.
I don't care if people throw small amounts of coin, it all adds up.
what I really dont like is when people stand there for a song or two, really get into the music, and then walk off without throwing ANYTHING. that's what pisses me off, I mean, im out there trying to make a living, and then I get that crap, day in day out.
though today I made like $25 off another busker leaving the country, it was all in 5c, 10c and 20c pieces (AUD) and also, the weather dictates what you're going to get. I have to travel by train 1 hour to get into melbourne to busk, and then on days like today (windy and gray) you won't make anything. on a good day, ill make anywhere from $70-$120, but today, I made $30. ive had worse days though.

Yup. shits tough sometimes. Busking is my "part time" job. I make enough at my normal job for rent and insurance, so busking feeds me. I usually play in a duo or group, but alone is better for actual profit.

Whenever I see buskers though, I give them cash if they actually entertain me, or are clearly homeless/squatters/whatever, trying to make a legit buck or two. Ill buy them coffee a lot as well

rocknroll93 02-28-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DempseyPunk
Yup. shits tough sometimes. Busking is my "part time" job. I make enough at my normal job for rent and insurance, so busking feeds me. I usually play in a duo or group, but alone is better for actual profit.

Whenever I see buskers though, I give them cash if they actually entertain me, or are clearly homeless/squatters/whatever, trying to make a legit buck or two. Ill buy them coffee a lot as well

Same. im friends with most of Melbournes good buskers, and ill throw them a few coins here and there, and same for the homeless, but the homeless have a better chance of a cup of coffee or water from me.
busking alone is where it's at, better profit, and you learn alot more about your skillset.

donender 02-28-2013 08:10 AM

If the are good, i give them a quid or something, but if i'm short on change, i just smile and nod if we make eye contact.