UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Practicing with a metronome (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1594650)

stiklyman 03-26-2013 06:16 AM

Practicing with a metronome

So I have a very serious question about my metronome practice. Let's say I find a very challenging new lick. I want to practice this lick for 30 minutes today. Should I set the metronome slow and work my way up in speed for 30 minutes? Or should I keep the metronome at a single tempo and practice it for the 30 minutes at that one tempo and increase the speed over the course of a few days?

bondmorkret 03-26-2013 07:48 AM

Definitely start slow, then work your way up in 5bpm increments! Start at a pace that you can play it consistently correct :)

Zaphod_Beeblebr 03-26-2013 07:50 AM

Never force yourself to go up in speed, that is entirely counterproductive. Only speed up when you feel 100% comfortable at the tempo you're at and don't have to think about what you're doing at all.

innovine 03-27-2013 11:58 AM

Play it slow until you can not just play it, but play it well. Then go up 5bpm and start again. Dont worry about what speeds you are at, or when. When you really nail it at slow speeds you are learning to play it. Learning to play faster is much easier, and creeps in over a looong time, months and years. Ive been doing exactly this on drums for a long time, i spend a long while getting it nailed at a low speed, then every year it gets easier to accelerate up to high tempos. When going fast, dont go fa;ter than what you can cleanly play cos you are only learning how to play poorly. An occasional sprint is nice at max speed but the real gains come from practice at just where you start to tense up a bit.

innovine 03-27-2013 12:02 PM

The tempo where you start feeling tense at is entirely dependant on the piece you play, so dont pay much attention to numbers, just your tension level and how clean it sounds

Chokenhold 03-27-2013 02:37 PM

Playing with a metronome is the best when you want to get faster. If there are lot of notes I usually start at half the tempo to really nail it. And when I'm 100% sure of it and play without any problem I increase the speed by 10%.

robertwilliam9 03-27-2013 02:53 PM

I'd say start slow and work your way up. That's always the better strategy.

StuartBahn 04-02-2013 05:25 AM

Although for the most part gradually increasing the speed is probably best, I have found that there are some situations where good results are produced by cranking the metronome up beyond what you are capable of and striving to match it. I have found with many students that this saves them a lot of time as the pressure of the high speed forces efficiency into their playing. This is generally for very short and simple exercises though. Try both.

allanperry 04-02-2013 08:17 AM

I dont usually leave comments on sites....but this article is about my favorite Musician in the entire world....i know people frequently say poor things or dissaprove of different life choices,these Artists might make...but one thing is for certain that the Musicall skills and the Songs they make are top notch......

Zaphod_Beeblebr 04-02-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanperry
I dont usually leave comments on sites....but this article is about my favorite Musician in the entire world....i know people frequently say poor things or dissaprove of different life choices,these Artists might make...but one thing is for certain that the Musicall skills and the Songs they make are top notch......

*reported*