UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   trouble with barre chords (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1595014)

MetalTapper 03-28-2013 03:47 PM

trouble with barre chords

Hey guys, I've been having trouble playing barre chords and tried playing 4 string F major and...its painful.

How much time does it take to learn this? And what is the right way of playing. Thanks!

TheNameOfNoone 03-28-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalTapper
How much time does it take to learn this?

Depends on how much you practice. After I picked up a guitar for the first time, it took me about a year to get my barre straight, although I haven't spent too much time practicing it particularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalTapper
And what is the right way of playing.

Use index finger to cover all the strings on one fret and all the other fingers to press everything else.

Bad Kharmel 03-28-2013 04:32 PM

it also depends on what kind of guitar you play, bare chords are much easier to learn on an electric guitar, also, if you've been playing power chords for any substantial amount of time it makes learning barre chords much easier

derek8520 03-28-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Kharmel
it also depends on what kind of guitar you play, bare chords are much easier to learn on an electric guitar, also, if you've been playing power chords for any substantial amount of time it makes learning barre chords much easier

Which is exactly why you should learn them on an acoustic first.

Bad Kharmel 03-28-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8520
Which is exactly why you should learn them on an acoustic first.

I would disagree, I learned them on electric first and never found them to be a problem, even when switching to an acoustic guitar

xonty 03-28-2013 05:19 PM

What type of guitar is this on, because they're much more difficult on a steel-strung acoustic than nylon-strung or electric. If you're trying this on a steel-strung, I'd suggest practicing it on one of the other guitars. Try tilting your index finger to the left a little, so you don't have to press as hard, or maybe try using your thumb for the low E string at the 1st fret and using the appropriate fingers for the others. If neither of these methods work, don't play the low note to begin (x33211) and your fingers will get better at barring in time. Hope this helps :)

KG6_Steven 03-28-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:
I would disagree, I learned them on electric first and never found them to be a problem, even when switching to an acoustic guitar

It depends on the person. I was the opposite - learning them on electric first, then moving to acoustic and finding them hard to play. I currently have an acoustic with 13s on it and have absolutely no problem. Again, it depends on the individual.

TS - How long does it take to be able to play them? There is no one answer that fits everyone. It takes as long as it takes. Practice daily and eventually it will come.

derek8520 03-28-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Fair enough, you're allowed to disagree. I just think that learning something like bar chords on an acoustic will strengthen your fingers massively, making those chords a breeze on any electric guitar.

Nero Galon 03-28-2013 06:14 PM

Could do it Jimi-style where you use your thumb to cover the bass note?

I prefer the index finger personally though as my hands are really small.

I can't even really remember the transition from struggling to comfy. I only played acoustic back then...

What I suggest is take basic open chord progressions and use the barred versions instead. That way you'll be learning the theory along with the technique.

bigfyt 03-28-2013 06:14 PM

hand strength baby.

freepower has a video on "guitar hand posture" have a search for that, perhaps you are not getting your thumb in to the best position to barr?

I don't have an issue with them, although after alot of beers my f sounds like crap for some reason?

Also depending on what your major issue is ie

strength or finger positioning/ fingers slouching

you might want to do some different things to rectify the problem

when i was learning them i would hold the chord and "arpegiate the notes to see if any were muted and even when you think you are nailing them you can still find this happeneing, not sure if that helps to much just a way to check yourself.

good luck

j.jameson474 04-09-2013 08:19 PM

Thanks guys! I think it's still mainly an issue of hand strength, rather than my guitar. I'll follow the advice here and keep at it!