UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Future Of A Guitarist??? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1599270)

eddieguitarist6 04-27-2013 02:52 AM

Future Of A Guitarist???

is there any/? these days hard to get a record deal,,,does anyone dream of being dave mustaine,mark tremonti, Id like to know.. I you do so,whats your plan, Please mention in vast details...since this thread is gonna help all of us who are started out with the hope of becoming a rockstar,,,and now the real life situation..THIS DISCUSSION IS OPEN FOR ALL

In other words , what does the future holds for a NEW guitarist Today//...

British_Steal 04-27-2013 03:34 AM

What does the future hold for new guitarists today? Years of enjoyment playing music on an instrument you love. That's all anyone could ever promise you.

DoubleBassCrash 04-27-2013 05:37 AM

I think there is a future for guitarists, but obviously it depends on a lot of different factors, you need to be competent with the instrument, to be able to construct something that's going to catch & hold attention, you'll need to bring something fresh & innovative to the table that people have never heard before, you'll also need to find the right group of musicians that have the chemistry to make things work.

Personally I believe it boils down to luck & who you know at the end, plenty of people have the skills & creativity, there's a lot of people out there that have all of the above, they create great music & gig their ass off but they never hit it big, you can chalk it up to whatever you like, be it the way the industry is today or the kind of music people are listening to now, you could gig your whole life in a great band & nothing could come of it, but that's life, man... sometimes dreams don't come true. If you put in the work I think something could definitely happen, but like anything else there are no guarantees & you have to keep at it, down the road you may find it may not be what you want or what you thought it'd be.

The real question is this: What kind of person are you when you're told "No"? Do you give up or do you continue to fight for what you want?

TheNameOfNoone 04-27-2013 05:42 AM

There is no future for guitarists, there are only guitarists for future.

jumpaside 04-27-2013 07:45 AM

I'd rather make a good living going DIY then getting signed and my album not coming out and my band breaking up.

AlanHB 04-27-2013 08:04 AM

Im hoping to practice random solos in my bedroom until I get discovered.

fistofTHEAXIS 04-27-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Im hoping to practice random solos in my bedroom until I get discovered.

That and countless opening riffs.

ChucklesMginty 04-27-2013 08:27 AM

Also I'm going to be really original and arrange popular songs so they sound metal. Because nobody has done that before.

Hail 04-27-2013 08:42 AM

dave mustaine and mark tremonti suck and rock stars don't exist

and guitar is a dead art and should be ridiculed

AlanHB 04-27-2013 09:14 AM

I think I might take up hating popular music. Even if I liked it when it wasn't popular. Just because lots of people like it.

Hail 04-27-2013 09:46 AM

i'm glad you're coming to see my side of things, alan

listen to some real music TS

TheNameOfNoone 04-27-2013 10:03 AM

And also, this:

Hail 04-27-2013 10:21 AM

class, i learned to growl on that track and twilight of the thunder god by AA back in HS

Bikewer 04-27-2013 10:36 AM

Musical styles change. I recall during the disco era many guitarists complaining they couldn't get studio work and were worried about continuing...
Things got better.
Likewise with the popularity of the rap/hip-hop thing.... But there are still an awful lot of guitars being sold and a lot of music being made.
Most of the working musicians I know do whatever they can. We know two musicians who are in the local symphony orchestra. They also do gigs as a jazz-pop group, do arranging and such for other musicians, do studio gigs... Whatever comes up.
You need to either be flexible or get into a genre that has a steady audience.

There's always going to be gigs of sort for the solo "singer-songwriter" guy with a guitar.

TravisWright 04-27-2013 08:36 PM

Almost Famous is a great flick on this subject.

Having a future as a guitarist and being a guitar hero or rockstar are two different things. There's futures in both I'm sure.

Scythe5 04-27-2013 09:13 PM

Heh, I don't think anyone dreams of being Dave Mustain LOL. Well, maybe Dave does, but.....
I digress.

There will always be need for guitarist, but I understand your concern....a lot of things are sampled in modern music. Having said that, competition is tough and likely to get tougher.

AlanHB 04-27-2013 09:23 PM

A lot of guitarists say "there's no sessions for guitarists anymore", but if Taylor Swift asked them to be her guitarist they would say no.

Perhaps those guitarists should work elsewhere, perhaps in an office or the like.

skilly1 04-28-2013 05:25 AM

Future for guitarists I would say is whatever you want it to be, there's so many great songs out there to learn and play that you would never get bored with it, as for getting a record deal, if you were good enough, I don't think you'd have a problem

LaughingWater2 04-28-2013 07:45 AM

There's a future for any guitarist that can play good. Just not the one you probably want or are expecting. There's a lot of different paths you can go down as a guitarist, Session guitarist, Touring guitarist, Songwriter and although these probably aren't things you want to do for a living it can provide a great back up plan, in case your band never end up making it. Just start thinking about that really, what would you do if your band never makes it? I'm personally planning to go into becoming a producer just in case my own music fails and if i fail as a producer, i'm planning to go into being a music studio engineer.

As for a future as a rockstar that really revolves around how lucky and willing you are to keep going no matter how much you screw up and talking to as many people as you can that have jobs in the industry. Try getting to know the gig promoters in the area then gig as much as you can. Gig until your fingers bleed then try to get your demos sent to a record company. Be creative and original though so that when people hear your music they remember it.
If none of that works then still don't give up. Release your own music and try to build your own fan base without a record company, who really needs a record deal these days? when you can record and release music so easily. If none of that works then fall back on your back up plan and earn a income so that you can fund your music then keep trying whenever you get the time to gig and record.
Rock music is still popular and theres always going to be a place for guitarists so don't think for a second that there isn't a future for a guitarist.

eddieguitarist6 04-28-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleBassCrash

The real question is this: What kind of person are you when you're told "No"? Do you give up or do you continue to fight for what you want?

Man you're a tough guy for sure and a dedicated mother****er ,,.
Thumbs up dude ..wish you well with your dream