UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   How to make walls of noise? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1599628)

Gene-Ocide 04-29-2013 07:42 PM

How to make walls of noise?

I'm wondering how to make huge walls of noise like Wata from Boris. My only guess would be lots of feedback + wah pedal, but I'm not entirely sure.

Example (Skip to 6:17):

Remnest 04-29-2013 08:04 PM

Walls of noise usually call for fuzz pedals but i have no idea wth is going on in that particular part lol. Certainly sounds like feedback but not sure what else...

T7E 04-29-2013 11:51 PM

When I think "Wall of noise" I think Shoegazey kind of stuff. As for thaat aprticualr clip I dunno whats up but I good starting place for Wall of noise stuff is fuzz+Reverb+Delay+Phaser. Multiple reverbs and delays even.
I dunno if that helps you but whatever

godgrinder 04-30-2013 12:08 AM

Delay/echo + filter/wah I think. She and Michio Kurihara both use Roland tape echo units.

cheeekens 04-30-2013 01:55 AM

The Boss/Roland SpaceEcho tape echo pedal has a feature that accelerates the delay time so the pedal whirls to a highpitched sound; I imagine that plus some fuzz, and a filter/wah would get you that sound.

trashedlostfdup 04-30-2013 02:49 AM

i imagine that this: could do a good job http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...r-effects-pedal .

i havn't ever hooked up mine to a computer or anything, but you could create a noise track and get a delay and time sync them and add another layer or two.

they are a bitch to get used to though. and can be very frustrating. its really only good for backing tracks or noise tracks, but it does both well.

i was looking at a different one and it was a call in deal day and i got it for like $150 or some stupid cheap price and went to that. just a thought.

but by far the best feature is syncing delay to timing with the delay portion.

pinheadslts75 04-30-2013 03:24 AM

The way wata does it is:

Les Paul Tuned to Bb Standard->Wah->Big Muff->Really Loud Boost->Reverb->Really Loud Tube Amp

Gene-Ocide 04-30-2013 11:11 AM

I know that Wata uses the oscillation on her RE-201 to get some of her crazy noises, but I'm wondering if the Boss RE-20 might be able to get similar sounds?

At around 22:00 it looks like she's using the space echo oscillation + feedback. I'll try oscillating my Malekko 616 with a lot of fuzz and see what happens:

Guitarbaddie 04-30-2013 12:49 PM

A wall of 6505+ combos should do the trick.

LaidBack 04-30-2013 01:22 PM

Cause a delay to self-oscillate with a shit ton of gain and reverb on top.

Gene-Ocide 04-30-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarbaddie
A wall of 6505+ combos should do the trick.

Gene-Ocide 04-30-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
Cause a delay to self-oscillate with a shit ton of gain and reverb on top.

Okay. I'll try it with my 616 and RV-3 and see how that goes.

LaidBack 04-30-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene-Ocide
Okay. I'll try it with my 616 and RV-3 and see how that goes.

I do that with my Deluxe Memory Man and RV-3 and Verbzilla....and Pharaoh and/or Musket Fuzz.

cheeekens 04-30-2013 03:07 PM

Gene-Ocide, I have the SpaceEcho (Boss RE-20) and last night (around 1am, I'm sure my neighbors appreciate that) I attempted to reproduce the Wata sound:

Set up:
strat - wah - big muff - RE-20 - Cathedral reverb - Fender Blues deluxe

Using the RE-20, I used the tap pedal (just step on the pedal so the delay time and feedback max out and it whirls to a high-pitch sound; it is a type of self-oscillation but I think it's a little more complex than your typical "max feedback" self-oscillation - I could be wrong though) and the result was close enough to the wall of sound from the Wata video.

At 1am, the volume spiked so much I couldn't experiment the way I wanted to, but I think it is possible to get the Wata sound with the RE20, especially if you line up more delay/reverb after the RE20. There are probably various ways to achieve this sound, but I do think it is possible with the gear you described above. The advantage of the RE20 is that you can control/max out the self-oscillation by stomping on the tap pedal rather than having to adjust the feedback knob with your hand/foot. Happy experimenting!

cheeekens 04-30-2013 04:41 PM

A little off-topic, but this is my first introduction to Boris (and the shoegaze/noise rock/whatever genre Boris is categorized into) and I really like the sound; any other Boris songs (or similar bands/songs within the same genre) for a newbie to the shoegaze/noise rock genre? I'll do some searching and experimenting on my own, but a little direction helps :)

Gene-Ocide 04-30-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeekens
A little off-topic, but this is my first introduction to Boris (and the shoegaze/noise rock/whatever genre Boris is categorized into) and I really like the sound; any other Boris songs (or similar bands/songs within the same genre) for a newbie to the shoegaze/noise rock genre? I'll do some searching and experimenting on my own, but a little direction helps :)

For Boris's stoner metal material listen to Heavy Rocks (Orange), Akuma no Uta, and Pink. For their more experimental/ambient stuff listen to Feedbacker and Flood. For more abrasive sludgy music get Amplifier Worship (you can try Absolutego but I'm not that big of a fan).

Other shoegaze bands are the obvious rec's like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, and Catherine Wheel. You should also check out Tokyo Shoegazer, Alison's Halo, The Angelic Process, and Have a Nice Life.

Gene-Ocide 04-30-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeekens
Gene-Ocide, I have the SpaceEcho (Boss RE-20) and last night (around 1am, I'm sure my neighbors appreciate that) I attempted to reproduce the Wata sound:

Set up:
strat - wah - big muff - RE-20 - Cathedral reverb - Fender Blues deluxe

Using the RE-20, I used the tap pedal (just step on the pedal so the delay time and feedback max out and it whirls to a high-pitch sound; it is a type of self-oscillation but I think it's a little more complex than your typical "max feedback" self-oscillation - I could be wrong though) and the result was close enough to the wall of sound from the Wata video.

At 1am, the volume spiked so much I couldn't experiment the way I wanted to, but I think it is possible to get the Wata sound with the RE20, especially if you line up more delay/reverb after the RE20. There are probably various ways to achieve this sound, but I do think it is possible with the gear you described above. The advantage of the RE20 is that you can control/max out the self-oscillation by stomping on the tap pedal rather than having to adjust the feedback knob with your hand/foot. Happy experimenting!

Thanks! I've started looking at the RE-20, and it might replace my DD-3 for my digital delay.

cheeekens 04-30-2013 10:54 PM

Thanks for getting me into a new genre Gene-ocide!

Yeah, I've had my RE-20 for about 3 years now and I've never thought about replacing it (I love it!). I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a RE-201 though... if I could afford it lol