UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Where to look while playing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602316)

kentrock1 05-19-2013 03:18 PM

Where to look while playing

Hello. I'm brand new to guitar. When trying to play tablature where should I look? I'm sure you guys have both the strings and fret locations memorized. Would it be better for me to memorize the strings and watch the frets or vice versa?

Thanks,
Ken

Zaphod_Beeblebr 05-19-2013 03:51 PM

Generally if you're watching something you should be watching your fretting hand, that will be doing more things that need watching like position shifts and such.

That said, you generally want to be able to play without looking most of the time, unless you're doing something that involves large or fast position shifts you shouldn't have to look at either of your hands.

cocacolabottle 05-20-2013 09:27 AM

Start by looking at the tablature and then look at your hands while you're playing the frets. After a few times, you should start to memorize the positions automatically. If not, it helps to just say the frets out loud (5 - 7 - 8 - 7 or something). As you practice more and more, the movements will start to make sense and you will no longer need to know the numbers of the frets you are playing.

Also, as said above, it's highly recommended to learn to play without looking at your guitar. It's a good way of getting familiar with your instrument and it will definitely help if you are planning to start a band and play live. Of course, if there are very large gaps between frets (like 3 - 9), I still look to be sure.

vayne92 05-20-2013 11:26 AM

I generally look at whatever hand requires more effort i guess... So mostly my fretting hand in that case. I guess the times i look at my strumming hand are when I'm playing intricate arpeggio's / tapping licks or some kind of intricate galloping. 95% of the time though I'm not really conscious of where i should be looking.

frusciante.ve 05-20-2013 01:41 PM

My advice is NEVER look at your picking hand, just "feel" the strings youre plucking, notice with your ears if youre hitting more/less strings than you should.

kentrock1 05-20-2013 10:51 PM

Thanks all; I'm already incorporating some of this into my practice.

Fallenoath 05-21-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frusciante.ve
My advice is NEVER look at your picking hand, just "feel" the strings youre plucking, notice with your ears if youre hitting more/less strings than you should.

I have to agree with never looking at your picking hand. Unless.... maybe you are actually looking to see how you are picking haha. If I'm playing my pick hand just does its thang while I'm concentrating on where I'm taking the trip.

But when learning tab or sheet music Id always focus where my hand is on the fretboard.