UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Pedal Suggestion Help?! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1605768)

i'mposthardcore 06-15-2013 12:57 PM

Pedal Suggestion Help?!

I do not have any guitar pedal experience. I recently bought a B-52 AT-100 (don't judge) I'm going to change the stock tunes but it needs something else tone wise. I need more gain, tighter sound and clarity! I am in a death metal band an would like to know what guitar pedal would help me out? Tube screamer? Boss SD-1? Also what about mods? I've heard some pedal can be improved. I want something good but my budget is under $100. some tones I would like include Periphery, Sylosis, Cycroptic, Gojira, Impending doom. Can anyone help me?

Dave_Mc 06-15-2013 03:40 PM

yeah either an sd1 or tubescreamer (or one of the many clones) should work.

digitech bad monkey is pretty good on the cheap.

i'mposthardcore 06-16-2013 08:48 PM

Thanks. Any mod suggestions on the SD-1 that would give me the best of both worlds?

Cathbard 06-16-2013 10:08 PM

The Bad Monkey is the versatile one. It basically tubescreamer with a knob to dial in the most common tubescreamer mod (bass response) - and they're cheap.

Offworld92 06-17-2013 03:04 AM

There are a couple routes you can go.

Do you want a smoother, tighter, big bass cut boost, or a harsher, grinding, less bass cut boost?

The former calls for a Tubescreamer, and the latter calls for an SD-1. Both the Tubescreamer and the SD-1 are basic archetypes, there are lots and lots of pedals out there that do the job better than the originals (not as many with the SD-1, but still).

i'mposthardcore 06-17-2013 10:42 AM

I am looking for a pedal to improve my gain. I'm in a death metal band so I need heavy distortion but I don't want it to be muddy. I need something to add to my gain channel to give me tight distorted chugs. I like the heavy mids like in djent but I think most if that is a compressor( and a tube screamer)but I haven't found a video that shows the tubescreamer help produce a brutal metal tone. Here is a video of someone that has an amp just like mine and try are using a Boss SD-1. I am digging there tone so I might get one of those. any ideas on mods for those?
m.youtube.com/?piggyback=2#/watch?v=6HZgl34L-10&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6HZgl34L-10

i'mposthardcore 06-17-2013 10:44 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qWvhsxBNds&sns=em

Dave_Mc 06-17-2013 01:56 PM

^ as offworld says, the main difference between the sd1 and the tubescreamer is that the tubescreamer is smoother, while the sd1 is edgier/grainier/fizzier. The sd1 possibly has slightly less mid hump and bass cut, but i'd still say it qualifies as having a mid hump and bass cut. the sd1 has less treble cut and is capable of both more and less gain/distortion on the drive control (i.e. with the drive control set to 0 it's a cleaner boost, and with it set to full it's almost a light distortion).

They're both in the same ballpark, and both will (more or less) do what you want. It just depends on which you prefer.

that fizz you can sorta hear in the vid you posted is characteristic of the sd1, i think (unless he's also using g12t75 speakers, in which case it's characteristic of the speakers, too :haha EDIT: ah it seems like he's running straight into the recorder, so no speakers ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
The Bad Monkey is the versatile one. It basically tubescreamer with a knob to dial in the most common tubescreamer mod (bass response) - and they're cheap.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'mposthardcore
Thanks. Any mod suggestions on the SD-1 that would give me the best of both worlds?

yeah if you put a switch in it to go between symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping you'd have an sd1 and (more or less) a tubescreamer as well.