UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Peavy Vyper 75 power sponge question (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1634262)

St John 999 02-16-2014 07:20 PM

Peavy Vyper 75 power sponge question

Just got a Peavy Vyper 75
great deal end of old series shop keen to get rid.
Now I already have VIP3 and like this so I have some idea about the Peavey.

My question
The power sponge does not seem to do very much.
It has a minimal affect on the timbre of the tone. But does not affect the volume at all.
Its not really a biggy as I just turn down the post gain, but still you want your stuff to work properly and knobs to do real stuff. Not just spin aimlessly

The firmware is 1.58. I do not have any handy midi cables for firmware upgrade and besides midi scares the pants off me. I just like string, fret, pickup, amp, and bleeding ears.

Cheers to anyone who can shed light on this.

St John

classicrocker01 02-16-2014 07:22 PM

I have the same amp. The power soak thing is a gimmick, and nothing more. It changes the sound a very very very tiny bit, but really it's just another knob that's just kinda there.

Cathbard 02-16-2014 07:48 PM

What the **** is the point of an attenuator on a SS amp? I mean seriously, what's all that about?

St John 999 02-16-2014 10:40 PM

Cheers Dylan,

I wish I could map the sponge knob to do something useful!

Hi Cathbard
The sponge things is handy in a practice setting allowing some of the more distorted tones to be played with a better feeling for the dynamics of the tone. I use it a lot on the VIP3.

Also without a functioning power sponge the master volume is only just on at half to one and is loud.
And the master volume goes all the way to '13' !

To anyone else
Am I losing anything by using the post gain to control volume?

Cheers St John

barnesybaby 02-17-2014 12:53 PM

I bought the Vypyr 75 initially because I thought the power soak could help me set the tone I wanted then just attenuate it for night time use. As a few others have said the dial really does bugger all. Minor change in tone and no noticeable change in volume. I bought the smaller Vypyr in the end...

@StJohn999: Using the post gain to control master volume will affect your sound but whether you are 'losing' anything is up to you. I like to set my volumes pretty high and then roll back the master volume because this keep the tonal integrity in tact; at least in my opinion :)

Offworld92 02-17-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St John 999
Cheers Dylan,

I wish I could map the sponge knob to do something useful!

Hi Cathbard
The sponge things is handy in a practice setting allowing some of the more distorted tones to be played with a better feeling for the dynamics of the tone. I use it a lot on the VIP3.

Also without a functioning power sponge the master volume is only just on at half to one and is loud.
And the master volume goes all the way to '13' !

To anyone else
Am I losing anything by using the post gain to control volume?

Cheers St John

It's worth noting that the VIP-3 is just a much more dynamic amp in general, regardless of the sponge.

Use the post gain to set your channel tone and relative loudness where you want it. Use the master volume to control the volume.

St John 999 02-17-2014 07:51 PM

Thank you all for the feedback
Also I have found a use for the sponge knob.
During sound-check when you reckon your level is good
Whoever is doing the sound check: 'Can you turn down the guitar a bit...'
Me, 'Sure mate..'
reach down move post gain down a minuscule fraction, then make a show of dialling back the power sponge knob
How's that mate?
Uh yup okay I suppose...

Awesome a genuine (bullshit) use for the power sponge on the vyper75

Cheers everyone
St John

Cathbard 02-17-2014 08:01 PM

You're cranking a SS Vyper into power amp distortion? Are you out of your mind?

St John 999 02-17-2014 08:13 PM

Cheers Cathbard.

The Vyper 75 seems to be the easiest way to get from fret to nose/ear bleed for low dollar outlay.

;-)