UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Metal (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Avenged Sevenfold: Metal or Rock? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1638926)

Zumizumoi 03-29-2014 10:45 PM

Avenged Sevenfold: Metal or Rock?

I'm not sure what genre people classify A7X

severed-metal 03-29-2014 10:53 PM

From my understanding, hip hop. But I don't have a formal education on the stylings of Da Revrund \m/

Ziggy V 03-30-2014 12:06 AM

Transgenre.

Emenius Sleepus 03-30-2014 12:15 AM

LGBTcore

fagelamusgtr 03-30-2014 01:18 AM

Honestly, I've had enough of this debate. Does it really matter? Does it matter if they are rock, or hard rock, or metal, or metal core, or whatever people want to label them as? They play music with loud guitars, in your face vocals, and pounding drums. And no matter what you want to label it, it doesn't change how it sounds. I just wish everyone could just accept it as music and get over the stupid classification of it. rant over.

sweathog14 03-30-2014 01:22 AM

Of course it's Metal. Stop being a smart-ass.

Sir Stoney 03-30-2014 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagelamusgtr
Honestly, I've had enough of this debate. Does it really matter? Does it matter if they are rock, or hard rock, or metal, or metal core, or whatever people want to label them as? They play music with loud guitars, in your face vocals, and pounding drums. And no matter what you want to label it, it doesn't change how it sounds. I just wish everyone could just accept it as music and get over the stupid classification of it. rant over.

That's the thing, it doesn't matter. Some of there stuff would clearly fall under the metal category. Then I could see how songs like "Gunslinger" or "Seize The Day" would fall under the rock category.

There is no sense in labeling anything. For example, I used to be one of those kids who thought that Trivium was shitty, or wasn't "trv metal." Simply because of what other people said about them and labeled them. Then I actually gave them a listen and their "Shogun" album turned out to be one of my favorite albums. Now I could care less what people call them, or any band for that matter, I'll listen to them with an open mind and base my opinion like that.
My rant, over :p:

TimTheWizard 03-30-2014 03:06 AM

pretty sure it's glam metal, or hair metal, whatever name you fancy

The Wildchild 03-30-2014 03:37 AM

harsh noise

rg_metal 03-30-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

But thats the thing... its not actually music anyways.

progbass 03-30-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emenius Sleepus
LGBTcore

Best answer

theogonia777 03-30-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emenius Sleepus
LGBTcore

I'll have you know that we LGBT people hate them just as much as straight people do.

Penisaur 03-30-2014 03:02 PM

\m/ rip dime \m/

Kytokinesis 03-30-2014 03:58 PM

/m\

praise the (|)etal

crazysam23_Atax 03-30-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stoney
That's the thing, it doesn't matter. Some of there stuff would clearly fall under the metal category. Then I could see how songs like "Gunslinger" or "Seize The Day" would fall under the rock category.

There is no sense in labeling anything. For example, I used to be one of those kids who thought that Trivium was shitty, or wasn't "trv metal." Simply because of what other people said about them and labeled them. Then I actually gave them a listen and their "Shogun" album turned out to be one of my favorite albums. Now I could care less what people call them, or any band for that matter, I'll listen to them with an open mind and base my opinion like that.
My rant, over :p:

OH, HEY! LET'S FORGET ABOUT NAMING THINGS PROPERLY AND JUST DANCE AROUND WITH FLOWERS IN OUR HAIR AND WEED BONGS IN OUR HANDS! Damn hippy attitudes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_metal
But thats the thing... its not actually music anyways.

And this attitude is what we call "extreme elitism". It's characterized by referring to atonal music as NOT MUSIC and music that isn't complex enough as NOT MUSIC. Among other things.

OT:
Yes, Avenged Sevenfold is metal. It fits the basic qualifications. It's just not particularly interesting or good metal. In other words, A7X is BORING.

Sir Stoney 03-30-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
OH, HEY! LET'S FORGET ABOUT NAMING THINGS PROPERLY AND JUST DANCE AROUND WITH FLOWERS IN OUR HAIR AND WEED BONGS IN OUR HANDS! Damn hippy attitudes...

And this attitude is what we call "extreme elitism". It's characterized by referring to atonal music as NOT MUSIC and music that isn't complex enough as NOT MUSIC. Among other things.

OT:
Yes, Avenged Sevenfold is metal. It fits the basic qualifications. It's just not particularly interesting or good metal. In other words, A7X is BORING.

Did I say anything about not naming things properly? Assumptions don't get you anywhere.

The point of what I said was that, due to these excessive labels, we have divided music. Now people ONLY listen to certain sub genres just because of what some dick head said in a forum about a style of metal.

I'm not saying we shouldn't name things properly, I'm just saying you shouldn't get butthurt about it when someone doesn't dick ride the sub genre train. I certainly don't care. I'm not gonna go around calling Madonna metal or anything like that, but Jesus Christ. Even if I did, who the **** cares? Obviously the usual neckbearded guy behind a keyboard does. :D

By the way, what's wrong with me smoking pot? Does it affect you? No it doesn't. Sounds like to me you need to relax a bit, buddy ol' pal.

technicolour 03-30-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

so true :haha:

severed-metal 03-30-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stoney
The point of what I said was that, due to these excessive labels, we have divided music.

You're right. You're completely right and there's no problem with that. Not at all. Not even a little bit. People looking for metal don't want to listen to blues right now, they want metal. We label to divide so we can consume efficiently.

Quote:
Now people ONLY listen to certain sub genres just because of what some dick head said in a forum about a style of metal.

Not a real thing.

Quote:
I'm not saying we shouldn't name things properly, I'm just saying you shouldn't get butthurt about it when someone doesn't dick ride the sub genre train.

You are saying that because you've been arguing against labels in your last two posts.

Quote:
I certainly don't care.

Well your rant and this portion of text dictates otherwise.

Quote:
I'm not gonna go around calling Madonna metal or anything like that, but Jesus Christ. Even if I did, who the **** cares? Obviously the usual neckbearded guy behind a keyboard does. :D

Everybody who doesn't think Madonna is metal has a problem with that because it's wrong. Stop insulting stereotypes you typical "420 smoke em up" goon.

Quote:
By the way, what's wrong with me smoking pot? Does it affect you?

Yes. Nobody likes you when you do drugs because you post online.

fanapathy 03-30-2014 07:52 PM

I personally thought of them as a rock band. Then I heard a conversation where someone asked "What sort of music do you like?" the guy said "Metal" then got asked "What's your favorite metal band?" and he said "Avenged Sevenfold" - which surprised me!
I thought their melodies sound much"nicer" than typical metal and combined with mostly cleanish vocals I figured rock, kind of like the 90s Green Day of the 2010s with better songwriting. I'll say their drums have the metal thing going on most. But whatever, if you like the music who cares what it is.

The Wildchild 03-30-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax

ha ha nice story FAG