UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Blackstar HT-1 with tubescreamer or HT-1 Metal? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1639666)

musicandthewave 04-05-2014 05:51 PM

Blackstar HT-1 with tubescreamer or HT-1 Metal?

The HT-1 costs 270, while the HT-1 metal costs 320. Would it be better to get a used Ibanez tube screamer for around 50 bucks and used with the HT-1 whenever I need more gain or should I just go with the HT-1 Metal alone?

Heaviest I will play would be megadeth, metallica, slayer, basically trash or alternative rock bands that use dual recs, like foo fighters and incubus. I play blues, classic rock, hair metal, as well.

Fisheth24 04-05-2014 05:53 PM

They're not brilliant. Tried one and it was very flat, unresponsive and meh sounding.

If you like them awesome, but I'd save for something like a Vypr tube.

Spambot_2 04-05-2014 05:57 PM

^ + 1.

The HT-1 and HT-5 aren't really regarded as good sounding amps, and the features that make them convenient and/or cool wither aren't true or suck.
For example it isn't true that they're all tube amps, and the emulated line output sucks.

Vypyr tube, jet city...

Dave_Mc 04-05-2014 06:12 PM

yeah i'd probably get a tubescreamer (or similar like a bad monkey) or an sd1

add the cost of the ht1 and the ht metal pedal together and you could've just got a better amp. even if you get a better amp the ts or sd1 will likely still be useful.

Lozhaze 04-07-2014 08:08 PM

The 5 is ok but the 1 combo is not much more than a toy and I've owned both. Buy a POD or something.

lxar 04-07-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
^ + 1.

The HT-1 and HT-5 aren't really regarded as good sounding amps, and the features that make them convenient and/or cool wither aren't true or suck.
For example it isn't true that they're all tube amps, and the emulated line output sucks.

Vypyr tube, jet city...

I personally find it very convenient for studying.. and that's true. :p: For everything else, i use my Laney Ironheart, but for practicing, i find it more than acceptable.

TS, it really comes down to what you need. If you need it for anything else other than practicing, I agree that the other amps suggested here are what you are looking for.

-Ed- 04-11-2014 03:07 AM

What's an IRT cost in the US?

bluestratplayer 04-11-2014 03:16 AM

This is what you really want: http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedge...ty&distance=100

Jet City 2112 combo for $200

Offworld92 04-11-2014 03:50 AM

I've read that the first stage in the HT is a SS one, not a tube one.

So I'm not sure how effective a Tubescreamer would really be...

Linkerman 04-11-2014 05:32 AM

Last weekend I was supplied an HT-5C for a small gig, and I hated the amp.

I spent a good part of the soundcheck trying to get an acceptable tone out of it, but without success. The EQ response is weird, because the tone is always flat. I couldn't find the sweet spot on the EQ knobs' sweep even if my life depended on it -- because they don't have one.
It gets too harsh and unpleasant to the ear way too easily, the clean channel is lifeless, the overdrive channel is only a bit better than the overdrive channel on a Fender Frontman.

And the ISF feature is a joke. It doesn't change the amp's character and voice from British to American at all. No matter the setting on the ISF knob, it never sounds British nor American. It just sounds dull.

MaaZeus 04-11-2014 05:52 AM

If you want a good lunchbox head or small wattage combo check out Jet City JCA22h or JCA2212 combo. That plus some tubescreamer clone should get you covered for long, long time.

Dave_Mc 04-11-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

the first bunch of stages are SS. Looking at the schematic there are 3 op-amp and 3 FET stages before the preamp tube gain stages (though it may well use different ones of those for the two different channels, that's not to say there are definitely 6 op-amp stages before the preamp tubes).

that's not to say a TS definitely won't work- I boost ss distortion pedals with a ts all the time and it works fine. But I wouldn't want to be sure it'd work with the HT5, either. (not all tube amps necessarily take a boost that well either, it must be said)

MaaZeus 04-11-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

HT is a hybrid but it does take boost well enough. Here Ola toys around HT5, with Maxon on and off.

mugzy384 04-11-2014 10:37 PM

I agree that the ht5 is a dull amp, especially the combo, those blackbird speakers are terrible. However I run my ht5rh into the 4x8 ht metal cab (which is a surprisingly better sounding cab imo) and boost it with a ts-9 and im extremely happy with the sounds im getting. Stay away from the ht metal amps, they sounded aweful to me, the regular ht amps boosted have as much gain as you will ever need for this amps potential applications.

philwhite 04-12-2014 12:06 AM

I had to do a doubletake when I saw all of the negative blackstar comments. I bought a 5C when it first came out and after checking blackstar's website it looks like they completely changed it. Apparently for the worse. I have the old version with a celestion and its a pretty good amp. Everyone on UG was raving about it then.

Dave_Mc 04-12-2014 03:38 PM

nah we weren't

Fisheth24 04-12-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
HT is a hybrid but it does take boost well enough. Here Ola toys around HT5, with Maxon on and off.

Ola can make a potato sound good, so I would take his video's with a pinch of salt.

trashedlostfdup 04-14-2014 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
They're not brilliant. Tried one and it was very flat, unresponsive and meh sounding.

If you like them awesome, but I'd save for something like a Vypr tube.

+2 probably even more solid state shit jammed in the amp to aid the 'metal'

Fisheth24 04-14-2014 08:46 AM

I'd use the HT-5 as like an amp to use every once in a while for a rehersal if I couldn't bring my main amp though, but apart from that.

Nope.

MaaZeus 04-14-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
Ola can make a potato sound good, so I would take his video's with a pinch of salt.

That is one of his playthrough videos so no multitracking. I'm not sure if there is even highpass (or was it lowpass... which one was the filter used for cutting treble again) filter applied. No recording is good when it comes to judging how an amp sounds like in real life though.