UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Metal (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   An Opinion Of Subjective Listeners (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1647308)

Exhume2Consume 06-16-2014 04:59 PM

An Opinion Of Subjective Listeners

Hey all,

I am posting here to grab an opinion from actual listeners rather than a far more broad group, of which are sometimes intolerant to metal and all the various sub-genres.

I have been playing for some time, different styles but have always found myself going back to ol' reliable! I have recorded several demo's and EP's with bands and I have always been dissatisfied by the feel of the final mixes (From a players point of view). So I took some time during College holidays to learn some of the ins and outs of producing Metal.

I have come across dozens of local bands that just can't get their content out, in a way it deserves. This, I think can cripple how a genre spreads. I aim to throw a bone to bands with shallow pockets at some stage in the future, just a kick starter.
How do you find the general feel of this sample compared to, say, big budget productions and low budget demos, EP's etc?

Sample

Please note: The actual composed content is the lesser aspect on demonstration :)

progbass 06-18-2014 07:04 AM

The beauty of metal and other similar genre (hardcore punk) is that the quality of the composition takes precedent over production quality. As for the posted recording, everything is heard clearly (which isn't positive or negative).

NathanBForrest 06-20-2014 12:37 PM

Sounds good to me, good work.

BL1NDSIDE-J 06-23-2014 03:02 AM

I think super polished high cost sterile sounding production is in direct opposition to what metal represents and the way it should sound for most sub-genres at least.

ctfod 06-23-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progbass
The beauty of metal and other similar genre (hardcore punk) is that the quality of the composition takes precedent over production quality. As for the posted recording, everything is heard clearly (which isn't positive or negative).

In black metal especially, production quality is far more important than you make it seem. It gives a band or album an identity and forms half of the atmosphere, along with the composition. Transilvanian Hunger would lose its mystique without the muddled, suffocation production, etc.

So production is important - but sounding clean isn't.

schwinginbatman 06-23-2014 02:31 PM

In that clip, the kick needs more punch. But outside of that, it sounded pretty good. Fix that, and I would definitely enjoy a recording with that production.

As for what you say, it sounds pretty cool. While a lot of these guys are right, keep in mind that there are a LOT of bands who have shit sounding demos and self-released EPs not because it's their intention, but because it's all they can get. Many bands would have real good sounding recordings if they could obtain them. Offering something like that could definitely help a lot of bands get the recording they have in mind. However, a lot of bands you will deal with will be god-awful, clueless as to what a low-budget but good sound studio must do, and be incredibly difficult to make sound decent. Good luck.

The Wildchild 06-23-2014 02:32 PM

Gorguts' Obscura manages to maintain the listener's interest while sounding clean

NathanBForrest 06-23-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfod
In black metal especially, production quality is far more important than you make it seem. It gives a band or album an identity and forms half of the atmosphere, along with the composition. Transilvanian Hunger would lose its mystique without the muddled, suffocation production, etc.

Black metal sounds like shit on purpose. I never got that. I hate that devil crap with a passion but satyricon upped their sound quality and actually sounded good.

NABEF9 06-23-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBForrest
Black metal sounds like shit on purpose. I never got that. I hate that devil crap with a passion but satyricon upped their sound quality and actually sounded good.

ctfod 06-24-2014 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wildchild
Gorguts' Obscura manages to maintain the listener's interest while sounding clean

Obscura still has an identifiable production style

progbass 06-24-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

I can agree that

severed-metal 06-24-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

I came in here to say something like this, but I didn't and you did instead so good for you, watch your back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBForrest

finally something I can agree with on this website.

ctfod 06-24-2014 07:38 PM

Fight me maplenacker

severed-metal 06-24-2014 08:02 PM

I don't want to get a rotting tooth stuck in my fist, crumpet stuffer