UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   80s Rock, Shred & Progressive (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   The official dream theater thread. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167484)

Asomodai 01-08-2005 10:46 PM

The official dream theater thread.

Ok starting this thread from apparant high demand, Put all the DT questions and things here, Do not post anything about dt anywhere else but here :)

This is just a trial run to see how popular this turns out to be.

Rob

Spynal 01-08-2005 10:47 PM

But ........ without seperate threads, what will the shredders have to post about????

:D

I want that guy to post those sped up DT versions here, those things were HILARIOUS

reef_d 01-09-2005 12:13 AM

hehe without dream theater threads there'll be less of shred and more 80s rock. anyway good chance there'll be some progressive rock threads

Resiliance 01-09-2005 06:26 AM

Rah!

Dreadnought 01-09-2005 07:01 PM

Best song is In The Name Of God.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

(followed closely by A Change Of Seasons)

SilentDeftone 01-09-2005 07:28 PM

I disagree, their best is Learning To Live along with Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper. I don't like LaBrie's vocals at 6:07. Also at 9:00 Petrucci's soloing gets a little out of hand with the chromatics, I know it's there to build tension but IMO it just sounds nasty. The ensuing key solo is nothing too great either. Don't get me wrong, it's a good song, I enjoy all the other parts to it. It's one of the better tracks on ToT, but definitely not the best song DT has done.

reef_d 01-09-2005 11:24 PM

yeah i like in the name of god from the latest album but my all time favourite is fatal tragedy

big crouton 01-10-2005 04:04 PM

A Change Of Seasons, followed by the 'A Mind Beside Itself' suite, particularly Voices, then Learning to Live, are my picks.

Glass prison is up there too.

those change daily though.

Voices I love because of the solo. By far my favorite Petrucci solo.

AsIAm 01-10-2005 04:04 PM

My 3 faves of what ive heard are Pull Me Under, As I Am and Fatal Tradgedy

Metalology 01-10-2005 07:14 PM

What brand of bass does John Myung use? I'm doing a project on my musicial influences and he's in there.

Edit: Nevermind I found it, he uses Yamaha.

Dont ask me how he does it.

bangoodcharlote 01-10-2005 08:15 PM

^How many strings are on that thing?

SilentDeftone 01-10-2005 10:26 PM

I believe it's got 14, and my friend says there's a specific name for it, not just 'bass'.

Inimical 01-10-2005 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentDeftone
I believe it's got 14, and my friend says there's a specific name for it, not just 'bass'.
A friend of mine e-mailed me a clip of a guy playing one...

It's got guitar strings and bass strings on it, sort of like playing a piano if it's the one I'm thinking of.

If I get it from her again, I'll post it. In the mean time, I'll do a search.

big crouton 01-11-2005 12:13 PM

It's called a 'chapman stick', and it's played entirely with hammer-ons and pulloffs. It's super sensitive to the hammerons, so you can play it like a piano. There's a really thick string in the middle, and descending thicknesses of strings on either side, (as far as I can tell.) One hand usually plays a bass line while the other hand can be used to play lead stuff. It can be used in various other ways though.

And that's not what he usually plays. He usually breaks that out for new millenium, and maybe some other songs off of Falling into Infinity. He usually plays a Yamaha RBX something or other guitar. It has 6 strings.

big crouton 01-11-2005 12:15 PM

oh, and for more info on the chapman stick, and some cool videos, check out www.chapmanstick.com

Resiliance 01-11-2005 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by big crouton
It's called a 'chapman stick', and it's played entirely with hammer-ons and pulloffs. It's super sensitive to the hammerons, so you can play it like a piano. There's a really thick string in the middle, and descending thicknesses of strings on either side, (as far as I can tell.) One hand usually plays a bass line while the other hand can be used to play lead stuff. It can be used in various other ways though.

And that's not what he usually plays. He usually breaks that out for new millenium, and maybe some other songs off of Falling into Infinity. He usually plays a Yamaha RBX something or other guitar. It has 6 strings.

Indeed.

My fav song would have to be dance of eternity

big crouton 01-11-2005 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Resiliance
Indeed.

My fav song would have to be dance of eternity
'tis a great song indeed. Not a huge fan of the cd version though. I'm all about the live one.

Then again, that could be because I got LSFNY before I got SFAM.

SilentDeftone 01-11-2005 04:41 PM

^ Do you mean the solo off the studio version or the live version (guessing that they are different)? I have the studio version tab if you'd like it.

hardrock3 01-11-2005 05:30 PM

what's their best album?

SilentDeftone 01-11-2005 05:59 PM

Images & Words. However, Scenes From A Memory and Awake are also outstanding albums, VERY close 2nds.