UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tab Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   **Tab Talk FAQ** + Tab, Guitar Pro & Powertab basics (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188974)

Andrewbiles 03-14-2005 04:50 PM

**Tab Talk FAQ** + Tab, Guitar Pro & Powertab basics

Tab Talk FAQ

It is Mandatory that you should read this thread before you post. Thank you.

DO NOT BUMP THREADS! We try our best to find tabs for every request, but there isn't a tab for every song on the net and I (personally) do not have every song in the world. If people are willing to help they will. Bump your thread and your post will be deleted, the thread might end up closed, and if you're persistant enough, you will be warned.

If someone is trying to help you but needs a little more info or hasn't got it completely correct, don't be an ass about it as they won't help you out again - I'm getting annoyed with people trying to tell me what to do, just show a little courtesy!

Don't reply to a thread by saying, "Look on google" or, "use a search engine", actually try and be helpful!

If you aren't able to use powertab or guitarpro for whatever reason (you own a mac, etc,) just post and someone will export the tab to an HTML file for you.

Has your tab submission declined?
Argue about it HERE

Added by sonixon:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Types of Tabs:

If you know any other sites that carry any of these tabs give me a PM and I'll add them.

Keyboard/Piano Tabs

http://www.911tabs.com/piano_tabs/

Drum Tabs

http://www.911tabs.com/drum_tabs/

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Announcements

Guitar & Bass basics announcements (lots of helpful stuff!)

Tuning questions? Thanks to Matt for this one
More tuning help

Want to edit a tab you've submitted?

Download Powertab - Powertab Help thread

Guitar Pro & Powertab FAQ (thanks to Seth Shadows)

How to code tabs on this forum

If you've tried posting tabs in a thread you may've found that they come out slightly odd, like.....

|-------3-3-3-------5--
|-------3-3-3-------6--
|-------4-4-4-------7--
|-------5-5-5-7-7-7-7--
|-------5-5-5-5-5-5-5--
|-3-3-3-3-3-3----------

.. when really it should look like....

Code:
|-------3-3-3-------5-- |-------3-3-3-------6-- |-------4-4-4-------7-- |-------5-5-5-7-7-7-7-- |-------5-5-5-5-5-5-5-- |-3-3-3-3-3-3----------

What you need to do to your tab is to code it. To do this, firstly write your tab in something like notepad, or Courier New font in Microsoft word (these are fonts that use the same width for each character) and then simply cut and paste, and place [ code] infront of the tab and [/ code] at the end of the tab (take away the spaces in the box for it to work) and your tab will be shown lined up.

I feel this is pretty important, especially for beginners at guitar. There's probably a lesson on it somewhere, but I thought I'd type out a tab key.
If I've missed out any, or explained them badly then say, but I just thought it might be helpful to people as I've seen a lot of questions asked about simple tab notations.

strings - Unless stated on a tab that the song is in a different tuning, this is what the strings represent (standard tuning)

Code:
e|---- B|---- G|---- D|---- A|---- E|----

'E' being the fattest/deepest string, 'e' being the thinnest/highest

The strings are also called 'staff's when written out in tab form.
Tabs for left handed players are the same as the tabs for right handed players. And bass tabs just don't have the e and B strings (so you're left with E, A, D, G).

Notation symbols -

3h5 - 'h' is the symbol for a hammer-on. In the examples case, you would strike fret 3, then with another finger play fret 5 by hammering on your other finger having only picked the string once.

5p3 - 'p' stands for a pull-off. Basically the opposite of a hammer-on, where you would play fret 5, then pull off your finger to create the tone of fret 3 having only picked the string once.

3/5 or 5\3 - The slash symbols mean (slide) that you play the first note, then with the same finger, move across the fret board to the next noted fret position having only picked the string once.
A slide with no number before it (eg. -/7-) indicates that it's more of a grace note slide and that you should quickly slide into the note (in the example's case, fret 7) from two or three frets away. You'll have to listen for whether the slide sounds as though it's going down (lower) or up (higher) in notes though.

x - an 'x' on any of the strings means mute. This is created by lightly resting your fretting finger(s) on the string(s), it shouldn't produce the sound of any note.

~ - Let ring. Basically hold the note/chord to let the sound continue on.

4^ - bend. Usually 1/4, 1/2 or full tone bends, meaning you bend the string (example) at fret 4, up or down, whichever you find easier.
A 1/4 tone at fret 4 should produce a sound of between frets 4 & 5.
A 1/2 tone at fret 4 should produce a sound of fret 5.
A full tone at fret 4 should produce a sound of fret 6.

^4 - pre-bend. Basically have the string already bent up and then resolve it so that the string is not now bent.

b - also meaning bend
r - meaning resolve bend, you will most likely only ever see this symbol alongside the 'b' symbol.

Harmonics - most common ways of playing them are either....
Natural - Lightly rest your fingers above the frets (works best at frets 5, 7, 12), pluck, and it should produce a sound that will stay even without your finger on the string.
Pinch harmonics are played (more often like this in solos), by puttong your finger on the fret board at any position, then pick at the string around the pick-up closest to the neck (works better) and lightly let your thumb catch the string as well. You will know when you've got it right, takes a bit of practice though.
Tapped harmonics I've never seen on a net tab, so I don't know how they're shown, but what you do to play them is fret a note, and tap the string quickly say twelve frets above and it should ring.

(t)12p7p4 - The 't' symbol is usually shown underneath the tab staff lines, but it means tap. This is used in long pull-off stretches using your picking hand, literally tapping your finger onto the highest fret position. There is also two finger tapping which is more complicated and you should know normal tapping before attempting.

v - Vibrato. It's a fast amount of small bends on a string (note) to make the note resound for longer periods on time. On electric guitars bend rapidly up & down, on acoustic, left to right (you don't have to, but they're the better options for the types of guitar)

PM.... - Palm muting, meaning you mute the strings around the pick-up area of your guitar with your picking hand. Quite common on punk-rock songs in chord verses.

(8) - Ghost note. Basically it's an optional note. It may be that the note should be there in a run of notes and was accidently missed out in the recording or it may be that it is the natural note to go to in a sequence. Else, it may be played very quietly or on a different instrument and the tabber is giving you the option to play it.

Gliss - This is a sharp slide up, or down, the fret board.

Pick slide - basically scratching your pick along the strings, comes off best with a bit of distortion through your amp.

Coda - This is more often written in tab books to save space, however some tabs have it, and it means that you have to go back to a certain part of a song, basically an easy way to explain the order.

Trill - rapidly alternating between the notes indicated using hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Bar Dive - Use whammy bar on guitar to drop the note to a certain pitch.

Tremolo - Pick as fast as you can (up and down) on the notes indicated.

Rake - Dragging the pick across the strings noted, not quite as fast as playing a chord.

Arpeggio - Basically picking out notes from specific chords.

If you see a X in a tab, thats means mute the note. By muting a note that means you dont play it. for example 3x5, you play the 3 and the 5 and mute the second string with your finger.

If you see letters above a tab they are to do with timing. When you see people tapping they're foot along to a song they're tapping along to the tempo and each time the foot hits the ground it represents a new beat, so with that in mind...

W - Whole beat
H - Half
Q - Quarter
E - Eigth
S - Sixteenth

a 16th would mean that you can fit 16 into one bar. (four beats per bar, four 16ths per beat)

Hopefully that helps some of you with your questions dealing with how to play tabs.

Guitar tabs for beginners
Bass tabs for beginners

AND SEARCH GOOGLE AND UG BEFORE YOU REQUEST A TAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have anymore questions dealing with Tabs or How to play them, please PM me or make a thread and I or someone else will help you.

FatKidsOnMopeds</3 06-29-2007 03:44 PM

How to edit your previously added tabs:

On the main UG page after you're logged in click on My Profile on the top right of the page.
On the left side under my ug stuff click My Contributions.
On the left side under My Contributions click My Tabs.
Then it will show a list of all tabs you have added.
On the right side of the tab click the u! to edit your tab then submit.

To add a tab to the UG click here http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/submit/tabs.php

Andrewbiles 02-26-2008 08:28 AM

=================================================
-------------------------------------------------
---------- Guitar Pro + Powertab FAQ ----------
-------------------------------------------------
=================================================
By: Seth Shadows

Guitar Pro FAQ:
Guitar Pro is NOT free. If you got it for free, then it has been pirated. Guitar Pro costs around $60 and is well worth the money. To learn more, Seek the "Guitar Pro vs. Powertab" thread here.

Basic Hardware Problems

1) How Do I Register my Guitar Pro tablature program?
Simple. Take your serial number and account name they asked you to create when you purchased the Guitar Pro tablature program and go to "Help > GP Online".

2) My Realistic Sound Engine doesn't work.
Make sure you have downloaded and installed the individual RSE packages. Once done that, under sound check off "Use RSE [Realistic Sound Engine]", or just simply press the F2 Shortcut.

3) There's no MIDI sound comming from my Guitar Pro Tablature Program.
Make sure in your volume control you have the Synth non-muted and balanced correctly.

4) Why some of the (appeared) GP3's I download from Ultimate-Guitar not work correctly and say I need to update my Guitar Pro Software?
These are not actually constructed with guitar pro 3 software. These are a later version of guitar pro files coated in a GP3 skin. It's like buying a can of tuna and getting chicken inside. When UG decided they were going to put Guitar Pro files up on the site, they made every extension .gp3. thereby, registering every file put on the site , may it be a gp4, gp5 or higher, appear as Guitar Pro 3 files. I suggest you take a look at the Guitar Pro conversion thread and maybe one of our members with a more updated version will help you out.

5) My toolbars don't show up on my Guitar Pro Tablature Program.
This is a common problem. Go to "View > Menus and Toolbars > All" and your toobars should show up.

6) The notes and/or downstrokes/upstrokes aren't showing up on my Guitar Pro file!
Try re-installing the guitar pro font. An easy way to do it is "find the font file from your GP package > right click > Copy and paste in Local Disk > Windows > Fonts."

7) Guitar Pro does not print correctly.
Try adjusting your page breaks in the file.

8) GP online keeps trying to register and I don't want it to.
It is recommended that you register your guitar pro program to prevent piracy and other punishable crimes, get updates and stay intact with guitar pro officials. If you still wish to not register your guitar pro, hit F12 for preferences and change the GP online Reminder to "Never".

9) I cannot purchase guitar pro online due to site problems.
Try consulting their support. Remember, always virus and spyware scan your computer before buying anything online.
ONLY buy from the official guitar pro Site at www.guitar-pro.com .

Software Problems

1) Some of my tracks unwantedly synchronize with other instruments.
Try adjusting your channels (Ch) to one per instrument.

2) How do I adjust the tuning of my instrument?
Right click on the track name, move the arrows and markers to desired tuning.
Another way to open this up is to press F6 while viewing the track.

3) How do I get an alternate instrument?
Left click on the intrument section on the track or press F7 while viewing the track.

4) How do I add a drumkit/percussion?
Go to Add Track > Percussion.

5) How Do I add a title to my Guitar Pro file?
Under File, click Score Information. Or simply press F5.

6) How do I change the tempo in the middle or another designated point of the peice/song?
Press F10 for the mix table. Beside tempo, you can choose to elevate said tempo to the tempo you wish.

7) How do I fade in/out over long periods of time?
Open up the Mix table (with F10). Beside the volume box, put the designated volume you wish, then over the beat span. Remember, One whole note = 4 beats.

8) How do I change the key signature?
Under BAR, click on the key signature option.

9) How do I input notes?
Most commonly using the keypad on the keyboard, but you may left click on the designated note on the staff.

10) How do I make a section repeat?
Use the "repeat Open" bar tool at the first of the bar you want to repeat, and repeat close at the end of the section you want to repeat.

PowerTab FAQ:
Powertab is Free Software made by Brad Larson.
Powertab can be obtained at www.power-tab.net

Hardware Problems

1) I have powertab tablature editor installed but I can't view tabs.
Try opening up a powertab extension and select powertab editor from "the list".

2) How much memory does powertab use on my harddrive?
About 4 - 5 mbs.

3) Will powertab Eat up my virtual memory like Guitar pro's RSE?
No. Infact, Powertab takes up less then one megabyte of Virtual Page File to run.

4) I hate Powertab.
Thats nice.

Software Problems

1) How do I get it to play?
Press the Highlighted green embed play button at the top of the tablature.

2) How do I use the lower melody feature in powertab?
Simple. Line up the two peices in one bar, highlight the lower melody and click the lower melody button on the "music symbols" task bar at the bottom of the screen.

3) How do I create a new section in powertab?
Under "Section", click new section.

4) How do I get two Instruments to play at once?
Make sure you have two guitars/instruments made in guitar setup first. Next, under section, click "Attach staff" to the designated staff you wish to be connected to. Designate your second instrument to this staff.

5) How do I check if all my scores are even and arent overflowed?
Press F11.