UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar Archives (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Weird ideas (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220004)

Freepower 06-09-2005 06:33 PM

Weird ideas

To put it simply, last wee while, my chops have improved a fair bit (because i've started sweeping, mostly) and im just looking for some weird ideas to spice up my playing, lead and rhythym.

I play pretty much every genre that accepts guitars and is relatively well known (no indian sitar ragas - unless you get me a fretless guitar, of course).

Hopefully this thread can become a resevoir of cool ideas, and to start it off, heres what im using at the minute -

Inverted powerchords - so simple, so great.

Better phrasing on sweeping by more interesting sweep and taps.

Using pedal tones, and using whole arpeggios as the pedal tone.

Two handed chords - use fingers from both hands to finger a huge chord, pick it with spare fingers and thumb!

Touchstyle - i know its obvious, but a lot of people see tapping as limited to EVH style.

Single string arpeggios.

Odd modes and scales...for example, ones with 8 separate notes, like
G A B C D D# E F# G (hope to god i wrote that down right).

Thats a few ideas, i hope you got something, i hope you add something. Thanks!

kirkhammett1988 06-09-2005 06:49 PM

My friend invented double power chords, it sounds pretty cool

I created it and have done this a few times, use your left hand or right (Which you ever you use for chords) and put it above the neck and play like that. Its confusing but fun...

Playing with teeth, it has already been done but still, very weird

Palm-tapping I technique I created, basically you tap with your palm. It is nearly impossible but I did it, the sound is not as good as normal tapping

Wammy Harmonics, self-explanitory

And finally the third of my created techniques knuckle tapping

oblique 06-09-2005 07:21 PM

Well, you know how bass players play slap bass? I wrote a slap guitar riff, it sounds pretty cool. Also scratching is fun, you'll know what I mean if you listen to RATM's Bulls of Parade or Audioslave's Drown me Slowly. I'm not exactly sure how to do it, but I got a cool sound by turning my gain up to 10 and raking muted strings while running my left hand up and down the fretboard.

WindJammer 06-09-2005 07:25 PM

^Scratching... left hand muting? See "the entire genre of funk rock."

Backwards soloing-- Hendrix (even a few brevities... Castles Made of Sand intro), John Frusciante (Give it Away solo, on his solo work),

Drum machine solos-- Take a bit of thinking to sustain one.

Monophonic songs-- These really test out your competence as a writer and can be great to listen to with practice writing them.

Good thread :cheers:

slash_pwns 06-09-2005 07:37 PM

Eastern Scales and Timing- Harmonic Minor even works. Just emphasize the b6 to 7 and its rather eastern. Use X/16 time signatures at like (Sixteenth = 120) bpm and use 64th rests, etc... Kinda fun.

oblique 06-09-2005 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WindJammer
^Scratching... left hand muting? See "the entire genre of funk rock."

It's different, it sounds like a dj scratching lps. It's kind of Tom Morello's trademark. Have you listened to rage against the machine at all?

slash_pwns 06-09-2005 08:00 PM

And Tom Morello does that w/ left hand muting lol...

oblique 06-09-2005 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by slash_pwns
And Tom Morello does that w/ left hand muting lol...

I have no idea how he does it.:p: I meant left hand muting, wrote palm muting by mistake.

slash_pwns 06-09-2005 08:02 PM

I for one love Tom Morello's style and I know he uses a lot of effects, so look out for that when trying to emulate him.

oblique 06-09-2005 08:05 PM

Yeah, his solos are mostly impossible to play with my sad little rig. When I'm less broke I'll get some effects pedals and do some Morello covers.

WindJammer 06-09-2005 08:07 PM

Anyways... monophonic line knowledge is a must for jazz bassists. Any of those in here? I just might have a few things to talk about.

Nonsensical (yet well-thought out) effects above bass and drums How interesting it'd be to see a band that does this consistently. RATM and The Mars Volta come to mind... but a guitarist that doesn't run at all on notes. Sounds ridiculous to a lot of people, but it'd be pretty nice in a modern rock band.

Even more interesting when you couple this guitarist with a monophonic musician who would rely purely on notes.

DorkusMalorkus 06-09-2005 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WindJammer
Anyways... monophonic line knowledge is a must for jazz bassists. Any of those in here? I just might have a few things to talk about.

Nonsensical (yet well-thought out) effects above bass and drums How interesting it'd be to see a band that does this consistently. RATM and The Mars Volta come to mind... but a guitarist that doesn't run at all on notes. Sounds ridiculous to a lot of people, but it'd be pretty nice in a modern rock band.

Even more interesting when you couple this guitarist with a monophonic musician who would rely purely on notes.

I'm confused

Like some Sonic Youth? Is that what you mean? Because they have nonsensical stuff that goes well...For example, The Burning Spear. I believe Thurston Moore puts a drum stick behind the 12th fret uses some weird effects and hits the stick. And later on Lee Ranaldo takes a drill to the wah pedal.

DorkusMalorkus 06-10-2005 12:19 AM

I guess there are weird things like feedback songs, where feed back is used a lot, it is hard to pull it off well though.

Freepower 06-10-2005 05:11 AM

^ i once did a song where there were very few actual notes, it was mostly precussion using the guitar and me putting out some random stuff over it...

Thanks for the ideas lads, great work - WJ, you want an example of the scratchy thing morello does, check out "Ashes in the fall" it almost sounds like dance music - I always assumed he was scratching with the pick using with high gain.

ILoveHarmonics 06-10-2005 05:48 AM

On the site of steve vai he talks about circle vibrato. It's like combining classic with rock vibrato in a circle motion so you let the pitch go down a bit aswell. Tapping with the plectrum real fast is nice combined with a slide where you follow your left hand like a train. I'm also practising bending 1/4 steps and repeating a riff ending on one and finally ending with a whole step.

SilentDeftone 06-10-2005 08:39 AM

^ http://vai.com/LittleBlackDots/84/vibrato.html

-SD :dance:

WindJammer 06-10-2005 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oblique
Well, you know how bass players play slap bass? I wrote a slap guitar riff, it sounds pretty cool.

Also try that with wah (clean guitar, of course).

pavan 06-10-2005 11:17 AM

freepower, do you want a few indian scales to spice up yer solos ? I know a ton of them. And you dont need a fretless guitar for most of them. in april i made a thread on this, and got a whopping response of 3 replies

You should probably listen to some nice classical music or jazz and you will get a good lot of wierd ideas.

Maybe try extreme ocatve jumping, switching modes very frequently, wierd ultra wierd time signatures, whammy bar abuse.

very strange chord progressions sometimes may turn into something good.

i think putting passion and wit will make a pretty good song.

good luck my dear shredola espagnola

Freepower 06-10-2005 02:49 PM

^ did you submit those into the lessons as well? Because i may well have seen them, i think i'll give em a try once im done experimenting with an extremely jazzy tuning i just found.

Lol, and why were you referring to shredola espagnola?

slash_620 06-10-2005 03:30 PM

ahhhh,i rember pavans thread.

i only rembered one scale though,sounded kind of scary.

it was the major scale with a flat second.

try it.

doesn't tom morrello do that scratching thing on 'people on the sun'?

the craziest thing i ever heard of was daron malakian of SOAD using a dildo as a pick.