UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Acoustic & Classical Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   OFFICIAL "What guitar under $300" Thread (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337075)

fsb_ben 03-28-2006 05:15 AM

OFFICIAL "What guitar under $300" Thread

Ok so ive read most of the threads requesting advice on the lower priced guitars and this is the list of guitars that were most commonly recommended

- Takamine GS330S ($299.99 @ musiciansfriend.com) -
+Solid Cedar Top
+Nato Back and Sides
+Rosewood Fretboard and Bridge
+Satin Finish
+Top and Back Body Binding
+Chrome Tuners
+Dreadnought Body

Takamine GS330S @ MusiciansFriend.com

- Alvarez RD210 Regent ($249.99 - $269.99 @ musiciansfriend.com) -
+Solid Sitka Spruce Top
+Mahogany Back and Sides
+Chrome Tuners
+Dreadnought Body

Alvarez RD210 @ MusiciansFriend.com

- Art & Lutherie Spruce/Cedar (Approx. $300) -
+Solid Spruce OR Cedar (Pictured) Top
+Wild Cherry Back and Sides
+Silver Leaf Maple Neck
+Semi-Gloss Finish
+Dreadnought Body

Art & Lutherie Cedar
Art & Lutherie Spruce

- Yamaha FG700s ($199.99 - $249.99 @ musiciansfriend.com) -
+ Solid Sitka spruce top
+ Nato back and sides
+ Rosewood fingerboard
+ Rosewood bridge
+ Black/white body binding
+ Tortoise pickguard
+ Diecast tuners
+ Natural finish

Yamaha FG700S @ MusiciansFriend.com

- Yamaha FG730s ($299.99 @ musiciansfriend.com) -
+Solid Sitka Spruce Top
+Rosewood Back and Sides
+Top, Back, and Neck Binding
+Chrome Tuners
+Dreadnought Body

Yamaha FG730S @ MusiciansFriend.com

- Washburn D10s ($299.99 natural color @ zzounds.com) -
+Solid Spruce Top
+Mahogany Back and Sides
+Chrome Tuners
+Dreadnought Body
+Includes Hardshell Case

Washburn D10S @ MusiciansFriend.com

- Samick Beaumont D7 ($252 @ instrumentpro.com) -
+Solid Cedar Top
+Rosewood Back and Sides
+Top and Back Binding
+Chrome Grover Tuners
+Dreadnought Body

Samick Beamont D7 @ InstrumentPro.com

- Epiphone Dove ($299.99 at musiciansfriend.com) -
+Solid Spruce Top
+Maple Back and Sides
+Maple Neck
+Chrome Tuners
+Dreadnought Body

Epiphone Dove @ MusiciansFriend.com

By no means is this an exhaustive list but ur looking at the top competitors in the "under $300" category.

Feel free to suggest your own opinion if the guitar isn't up there and i'll gladly put it on the list for others to consider! (It'd be helpful if u found the price and a picture to go along with it :-) )

Cheers.

P.S. The post below this one by Jimtaka is an extension of this list. We had to do this because you can only post 10 pictures per post.

jimtaka 03-28-2006 02:09 PM

- Seagull S6 Entourage ($299.99 @ musiciansfriend.com) -
+Solid Spruce Top
+Wild Cherry Back and Sides
+Maple Neck
+Rustic Burst Finish
+Chrome Tuners
+Dreadnought Body

- Walden D550 ($199.99 @ musiclandcentral.net) -
+Solid Spruce Top
+Sapele Back and Sides
+Dreadnought Body

- Takamine G340SC ($299.99 @ Musiciansfriend.com) -
+Solid Spruce Top
+Mahogany Back and Sides
+Gloss Finish
+Gold Tuners
+Dreadnought Body with Cutaway

Takamine G340SC @ MusiciansFriend.com

jimtaka 03-28-2006 03:53 PM

post reserved for future additions.

aMeRiCaNsTrAt21 03-29-2006 12:51 AM

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guita...odel=AW40NT&z=y

Ok Guys, wow I went to GC today and first guitars I played were the ones almost everyone recomended the Alvarez RD-8 and the Yamaha FG-30.. pretty comparable both around same sound quality.. Then I tryed the Ibanez AW40NT and OMG I almost Creamed... sounds like 1,000 dollar guitars, this guitar is brand new from 2006! The Yamaha FG series and Alvarez RD series dont compare.. Im telling you go to your local GC and try out one of these guitars, you will not be dissapointed.. and they are beautiful.. Look at the link!

fsb_ben 03-29-2006 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMeRiCaNsTrAt21
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guita...odel=AW40NT&z=y

Ok Guys, wow I went to GC today and first guitars I played were the ones almost everyone recomended the Alvarez RD-8 and the Yamaha FG-30.. pretty comparable both around same sound quality.. Then I tryed the Ibanez AW40NT and OMG I almost Creamed... sounds like 1,000 dollar guitars, this guitar is brand new from 2006! The Yamaha FG series and Alvarez RD series dont compare.. Im telling you go to your local GC and try out one of these guitars, you will not be dissapointed.. and they are beautiful.. Look at the link!

Cool i'll add it to the list.. btw u tried an fg-30?! dood cmon, fg-700s or 730s!

aMeRiCaNsTrAt21 03-29-2006 10:52 AM

Wow EDIT!!! I played the FG730! Didnt compare to that of the sound of the Ibanez AW40NT, Try it out sometime

jimtaka 03-29-2006 12:16 PM

that's a raelly good looking guitar based on the pictures. i think i might have to go to guitar center this weekend and play one. thanks for the info americanstrat21.

lowlab 03-29-2006 12:28 PM

good thread my first guitar i picked upped was a yamaha c-70 sounded like a washboard ,then picked up my my seagull s6 very,very excellent guitar and around 300 bucks if i'm not mistaken

jimtaka 03-29-2006 12:59 PM

yeah i've heard good things about the seagull s6 and a couple other of their lower-priced models. haven't ever played one though that i can recall.

lowlab 03-29-2006 01:23 PM

to behonest what i think made more of in impression to me with the seegull was the change from an old c-70 that i picked up used for like 50 bucks.but all in all it's good if not great for the price ..........Quick question what guitar did kurt kobian use in the unplugged version of "man who sold the world"...........Sorry if this is not the thread dor it ....

fsb_ben 03-29-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlab
to behonest what i think made more of in impression to me with the seegull was the change from an old c-70 that i picked up used for like 50 bucks.but all in all it's good if not great for the price ..........Quick question what guitar did kurt kobian use in the unplugged version of "man who sold the world"...........Sorry if this is not the thread dor it ....

No idea. But it'd probably cost more than $300 if Kobain used it.

I thought about putting the Seagull S6 on this list but its over $300.. $360 to be exact.

moe_d 03-29-2006 01:49 PM

Seagull S6 is around $359 or something.

fsb_ben 03-29-2006 02:42 PM

yeah so over the limit :-P

lowlab 03-29-2006 03:08 PM

i was asking what guitar he used in the unplugged version of "man who sold the world".........i was not saying that he used a seagull s6 ..............

fsb_ben 03-29-2006 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlab
i was asking what he used......... not saying that he used it ..............

LMAO wow.. just.. WOW. Thats possibly one of the most ******ed things i've ever read.

edit: congrats uve made it into my sig LMAO.

I hope u understand that I'm saying Kobain wouldn't use a cheap guitar.

lowlab 03-29-2006 05:01 PM

lol ...............i get it bad f@cking me

fsb_ben 03-31-2006 12:20 AM

does anyone have ne more suggestions?

61cygni 03-31-2006 12:39 AM

What about the epiphone pr5e, I've been looking at it, I really like the florentine cutaway (none of the recommended are cutaways) but I don't know how reliable the reviews are.

Anyone have the guitar and could share their opinion?

fsb_ben 03-31-2006 12:56 AM

well first off, cutaway usually means acoustic electric and thats a whole other thread in itself. Generally speaking, ur better off getting a quality acoustic and then buying a pickup or just putting ur guitar to a mic. U get a better guitar and a better sound in the end.

the epiphone pr5e doesnt have a solid top and its $300 man, not worth the $ imo.

funkysensubean 04-02-2006 06:52 PM

Whats the difference between the Yamaha's? (FG700s, FG730s....)?

im learning abit of guitar at school and im looking to buy something (cheap $200), i can see that they have different finishes? is it worth the difference?