UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Metal (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The Devin Townsend Band (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354272)

flying_phoenix 05-02-2006 07:45 PM

The Devin Townsend Band

I just picked up Synchestra yesterday, and I absolutlely love it. Devin is amazing, a true pride of Canada. I must say I'm more inclined towards DTB than Strapping, although they're both incredible, DTB is just far more interesting, it makes me want to listen more. It's Devin townsend, so they're really well known, any other fans here? I'm sure there would be. Feel free to talk about strapping as well, "The New Black" is on the way :headbang:

reed 05-02-2006 07:50 PM

I LOVE teh Dev! And I agree, DTB has a lot more going for it than SYL, even though I love them both to death. No DTB record has been a downer, while I really only listen to two SYL cds. He's a master songwriter, and uses ambience to full astounding effect. Plus, his guitar tone is so.... lush lol. Thats the only word I can think for it.

And then theres the little quirks, like the polka song, or the country/bluegrass breakdown followed by a Steve Vai solo... just brilliant.

I can't say enough, but he definetely is a true pride of Canada.

RESPECT

mer_der_noms 05-02-2006 07:54 PM

Damn straight reed! lol. TeH sKuLlEt OnWs j00!!

reed 05-02-2006 07:57 PM

It does! Especially when he doesn't wash it for long enough that it forms dreads on its own. ****ING METAL

LedZeppelin 05-02-2006 08:00 PM

Hahaha. I thought he was wearing a bald cap the first time I saw an SYL video. Isn't the DTB more progressive rock-y? I remember hearing one of their songs a while back but don't recall what exactly it sounded like.

reed 05-02-2006 08:08 PM

Yeah its sorta prog rock/metal. It's still awesome though.

mer_der_noms 05-02-2006 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed
It does! Especially when he doesn't wash it for long enough that it forms dreads on its own. ****ING METAL

Lol. :haha: That made my day right there. Only Devin could create such a masterpiece. lol. Let's make him honorary ruler of the Metal Forum. lmao.

ph3n0m 05-02-2006 10:13 PM

Triumph is an awesome song. Mainly because Steve Vai plays the solo. :D

MetallichaoS 05-03-2006 12:28 AM

Devin Townsend is killa. Terria is one of the most out there albums I've ever heard. It's fantastic though. First time I heard it was with a friend and we got all stoned... It was like I went into another world listening to that ****. Then I listened to the album on shrooms... And well I was in another world then. :)

Inimical 05-03-2006 12:33 AM

Townsend is a God. Synchestra is amazing.

Infinity is great also... he checked himself into an institution apparently to get help for bi-polar disorder shortly after its release. He's just an awesome guy... really intelligent and he overcame such a crazy illness and such bad luck with Vai to start not only his own bands, but his own record company.

His production is always awesome... I love when he gets a choir to sing something. His stuff in Ayreon's The Human Equation is some of the best on that album. Townsend rules.

somepunkkid 05-03-2006 12:38 AM

Just pointing out that there is a SYL thread at the bottom of the page.

Im gna be contrary here and say that i like his SYL stuff better. I mean ive listened to City more times then every other non-metallica album i have. Imo nothing beats it

Dyer's Eve 05-03-2006 03:40 AM

I love them both equally. I appreciate them both for their sort of 'ying-yang' qualities. One being All-Out Rape and the other Making Love, if you understand what I mean (uhuhuh..)

Devin is one of the very few who deserve the overused description of 'Genius'.

SGRocker0791 05-03-2006 08:13 AM

Devin Townsend is awesome IMO. RESPECT the skullet!

trollblod 05-03-2006 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyer's Eve
Devin is one of the very few who deserve the overused description of 'Genius'.

I completly agree, allmost all his work is awsome.

flamencogod 05-03-2006 10:54 AM

along with arjen lucassen the greatest genius in metal today

saxaxe 05-04-2006 09:56 AM

Saw him open for Opeth....he's amazing. He had a hat on though :sad: couldnt see teh 5ku113t

Scourge441 05-04-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamencogod
along with arjen lucassen the greatest genius in metal today

There was an Ayreon thread a while ago. I think it died.

Arjen Lucassen and Devin Townsend > yours, mine, and everyone else's souls.

theguitarist 05-04-2006 04:48 PM

I got Terria way back when. I was like :wtf: intially but it grew on me and Devin Townsend became one of the few people to combat the negative images of Canadians for me (e.g Celine Dion, Alanis Morrisette, other boring crap)

I still prefer Terria to his other albums though,Synchestra, despite is greatness, felt a bit random as an album when compared to Terria or even Accelerated Evolution...

GoodCharloteSux 05-04-2006 08:18 PM

I love the Vampira video made me laugh alot.

INDUSTRIALMETAL 05-04-2006 08:38 PM

Heck freakin' yes.

He's Canadian, seriously you gotta show some pride. The music is amazing, and Terria along with Infinity is a staple of my record collection.