UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Marshall BluesBreaker project (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378387)

call1800ksmyazz 06-17-2006 10:57 PM

Marshall BluesBreaker project

Soundclips are on page 2!

I am building a Marshall BluesBreaker pedal. I have just recieved all of the parts I ordered from Small Bear Electronics. I began the build tonite.

Some parts and the tool box:

Project box with wholes drilled for 3 pots, a footswitch, a LED, an input, an output:

Perfboard with onboard parts, not yet soldered:

Tomarrow I will be tining the parts so they are ready to solder. I will also probably do the offboard wiring. Then I think I might connect it to try it out to make sure everything is good.

Oh yea! and... for you who know of the pedal called the Zendrive, I met the maker of it. I live in Ft. Lauderdale, where he lives and today I went to a guitar shop and he was there. We talked for a little bit and stuff. Hes an awsome guy. He gave a little bit of advice and stuff.

The Master Plan 06-17-2006 11:14 PM

Nice how much did it run you?

call1800ksmyazz 06-17-2006 11:27 PM

About 31$ for parts. But I had to also buy a soldering iron, solder, extra wire, and a tool box in addition to that. (thats not included in the 31$).

That_Pink_Queen 06-18-2006 01:06 AM

I don't recommend a plastic box, the gain of those amp sims is pretty high, since the FETs need a large signal to actually clip. I'm guessing you'll pick up ****loads of RF.

Good luck!

Mascot 06-18-2006 01:18 AM

You met the creator of the Zendrive? Nice.

Good luck on the project.

The Master Plan 06-18-2006 02:12 AM

Have you sold any of the ones you made before?

call1800ksmyazz 06-18-2006 08:37 AM

Thanks everyone.

The Master Plan- This is actually my first project so no I havent sold any before. I expect this to turn out pretty good though so I will continue building probably.

That_Pink_Queen- My dad is thinking that the box might not be big enough and stuff so we might have to get another box anyway. We are going to connect the wires (solder) to make sure it works, and then fix everything up (Bigger box maybe, metal box, paint it, just a few cosmetic things to make sure it will continue to run smooth. And whats RF?

Does anyone know of a website that sells pot knobs? I thought I had ordered them from Small Bear but it turns out that I didnt. Im looking for a cream vintage style knob. Maybe like a fender guitar or amp knob.

And the Zendrive guy, hes pretty cool. He says he used to invent and make parts for NASA. And he has like all kinds of degrees, making him really smart. He said that when he moved down to Florida, even though he had all of those degrees, no one would hire him so he inventer the Zendrive. He had a box of them with him at the guitar store but not for sale, only for some of the people to try. He has a waiting list for the pedal.

GuitarBoy-IL 06-18-2006 10:01 AM

RF is Radio Frequency if im not mistaken

power freak 06-18-2006 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by call1800ksmyazz
And the Zendrive guy, hes pretty cool. He says he used to invent and make parts for NASA. And he has like all kinds of degrees, making him really smart. He said that when he moved down to Florida, even though he had all of those degrees, no one would hire him so he inventer the Zendrive. He had a box of them with him at the guitar store but not for sale, only for some of the people to try. He has a waiting list for the pedal.

Indeed he does, I think it's nearly 6 months now... Because it's the best damn OD of all time..

*is not biased because he owns the pedal at all*

I wish Alf came over to the UK, from what I've read he's an awesome guy...

:cheers:

call1800ksmyazz 06-18-2006 08:12 PM

Ok guys. I soldered each component to the holes they go through. I will connect the parts together maybe tomarrow or something. I also attached and soldered wires to the offboard parts so they are ready to be connected.

call1800ksmyazz 06-19-2006 08:08 AM

Heres some pictures of what I did last night.

Heres the perfboard with the components soldered to their holes: (Sorry, its veryy hard to see.)

Heres some of the offboard components with wires connect to them so they can me connected:

I decided to make it true bypass so im going to have to go to radioshack to get a 3PDT footswitch instead of my DPDT.

fronkpies 06-19-2006 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by call1800ksmyazz

Oh yea! and... for you who know of the pedal called the Zendrive, I met the maker of it. I live in Ft. Lauderdale, where he lives and today I went to a guitar shop and he was there. We talked for a little bit and stuff. Hes an awsome guy. He gave a little bit of advice and stuff.

:eek: that is a great pedal. :cheers:

call1800ksmyazz 06-19-2006 09:14 AM

yea it is :D

V12prowler 06-19-2006 10:16 AM

you can get knobs at radioshack......and that DPDT switch will work for making it true bypass, you dont need to change it

call1800ksmyazz 06-19-2006 02:10 PM

Radioshack doesnt have any good knobs. They only have like 3 different kinds that are really ugly.

DPDT is for Bypass. 3PDT is for True Bypass

V12prowler 06-19-2006 04:31 PM

^ no.......DPDT is for true bypass, 3PDT is for true bypass WITH an LED wired into the switch. I have modded mamy wah pedals to true bypass and used DPDT switches on some of them that didnt have LEDs and they are still true bypass.

EDIT: if you dont believe me check out this link

call1800ksmyazz 06-19-2006 07:28 PM

But if you go to the project file of the BluesBreaker, its a DPDT for Original non-true bypass with led and its 3PDT for true bypass with led. look at the project file: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com...luesbreaker.pdf

call1800ksmyazz 06-20-2006 08:42 PM

Ok... New UPDATE:

I bought some knobs for the Volume, Gain, and Tone controls. They are Gibson Les Paul style. Here they are seperate and just layed on their place on the box:

Heres my soldering iron, solder, and extra wire:

Heres a picture of the board with some of the offboard wiring and onboard soldering done:

Mascot 06-20-2006 09:59 PM

Those are some funky knobs for a pedal.

call1800ksmyazz 06-20-2006 10:13 PM

haha yea I know. I will see if it works. It might be strange though so i might use others. I hope this pedal works! It looks like everything is set up good and everything is connected rght, but I wont know until im done and hook everything up.