UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Rock (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Black Sabbath (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416926)

brentondig 08-18-2006 03:48 PM

Black Sabbath

True Sabbath fans chill here, and discuss various Sabbath topics, such as Ozzy vs. Dio, Iommi, whatever.

Enjoy talking about the Blackest of Sabbath. :headbang:

danzig-_- 08-18-2006 03:50 PM

umm i dont know what to say in here but.....
i think ozzy is a way better singer.....TRUE black sabbath
discuss?

brentondig 08-18-2006 03:51 PM

I definitely agree. I think he's better because he was the first, more like the one and only, because the whole band sounded different with Dio, musically.

MusicHead32 08-18-2006 03:56 PM

ozzy>dio

Inahrima 08-18-2006 03:58 PM

Doesn't black sabbath belong in the metal forum? Iron maidens there. Remove this and repost it there.

rx_eb 08-18-2006 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inahrima
Doesn't black sabbath belong in the metal forum? Iron maidens there. Remove this and repost it there.

Black Sabbath is CR, mthrfckr.
Metal is a genre and CR is a time era. You see, Sabbaths played metal and belongs to the CR era...

The reason why Iron Maiden isn't considered CR because they don't deserve to. ;) end of story

TheUltimateSin 08-18-2006 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx_eb
The reason why Iron Maiden isn't considered CR because they don't deserve to. ;) end of story

[/narrow-mindedness]

:rolleyes:

Actually, it's because Iron Maiden was part of a musical movement most commenly referred to as the "NWOBHM", or "New Wave of British Heavy Metal".

@ threadstarter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentondig
such as Ozzy vs. Dio

Saying this is the #1 way to get your thread closed, #2 being not using the search function and making a thread that has been made 345814519855 times.

rx_eb 08-19-2006 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin

[/narrow-mindedness]

:rolleyes:

Actually, it's because Iron Maiden was part of a musical movement most commenly referred to as the "NWOBHM", or "New Wave of British Heavy Metal".

shush :p:

and actually that isn't narrow-mindedness :rolleyes:

NGD1313 08-19-2006 12:40 AM

Ozzy w/ Sabbath > Dio w/ Sabbath

Ozzy (solo) > Dio (band)

Ozzy (now) > Dio (now)

/debate

Danne55 08-19-2006 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin
Saying this is the #1 way to get your thread closed, #2 being not using the search function and making a thread that has been made 345814519855 times.

:cheers:

I've think it has been done more than 345814519855 times :p:

chylde_of_fire 08-19-2006 07:55 AM

Quote:
Black Sabbath is CR, mthrfckr.
Metal is a genre and CR is a time era. You see, Sabbaths played metal and belongs to the CR era...

Judas Preist, Motorhead, Venom, Pentagram, Witchfinder General plus many more are all metal bands that were formed/released most of their classic material within the 'pre - 1984' era that defines classic rock on this forum. Yet they are unquestionabley Metal, not Classic Rock. The same applies for Sabbath. They never were, are, or will be anything but metal.

Plus the thread in the metal forum has more replies. Go figure.

rx_eb 08-19-2006 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylde_of_fire
Judas Preist, Motorhead, Venom, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Witchfinder General plus many more are all metal bands that were formed/released most of their classic material within the 'pre - 1984' era that defines classic rock on this forum. Yet they are unquestionabley Metal, not Classic Rock. The same applies for Sabbath. They never were, are, or will be anything but metal.

no it doesn't
go ask a mod :)

chylde_of_fire 08-19-2006 08:03 AM

Quote:
no it doesn't
go ask a mod :)

So what exactly is it that makes Black Sabbath classic rock and other 70s metal bands not?

bodyheatseeker 08-19-2006 09:20 AM

well Tony Iommi always said he thought Sabbath were heavy rock. I think you could have them in either forum really, they were the grandaddies of metal yet still around at the right time for you to call them classic rock.
As for Iron Maiden and Motorhead ect I always considered them a bit of a grey area but they were heavy when they started and their roots were always hard rock and such while Sabbath had sort of bluesy roots so I think thats the main difference

rx_eb 08-19-2006 10:13 AM

Quote:
So what exactly is it that makes Black Sabbath classic rock and other 70s metal bands not?

well maybe because they're considered one of the godfathers of heavy metal. and don't forget that they debuted in the 60s and played blues rock, hard rock as well as jazz before they moved into Heavy Metal and pioneered the genre.

Those bands you've just listed earlier are indeed Black Sabbath's contemporaries but I think you just can't categorize them into the same class with Sabbath. Black Sabbath was and is always in higher class (in my opinion of course) and only bands like Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Scorpions and maybe Judas Priest or Wishbone Ash can be in.

chylde_of_fire 08-19-2006 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyheatseeker
well Tony Iommi always said he thought Sabbath were heavy rock. I think you could have them in either forum really, they were the grandaddies of metal yet still around at the right time for you to call them classic rock.

Iommi would have said they were heavy rock as before Sabbath metal did not exist, and therefore the genre didn't have a concrete name as such (if that makes any sense), where as now, in retrospect, we can say that they are a metal band, specificaly Doom metal.

Quote:
well maybe because they're considered one of the godfathers of heavy metal. and don't forget that they debuted in the 60s and played blues rock, hard rock as well as jazz before they moved into Heavy Metal and pioneered the genre.

I am aware that Sabbath started of in this way, back when they were known as Earth and Polka Tulk. That does not, however, detract from the fact that their self titled album was metal. Bluesy metal, but still metal.
There are many other bands that started off playing another type of music before becoming metal, for example Napalm Death's early demos were hardcore/crust punk, but by the time they put out their first full-length 'Scum', they had morphed into a fully-fledged Grind band.

bodyheatseeker 08-19-2006 02:14 PM

Quote:
Iommi would have said they were heavy rock as before Sabbath metal did not exist, and therefore the genre didn't have a concrete name as such (if that makes any sense)

True and you do make a good point it's just in a recent interview with Iommi he said he never saw Sabbath as metal even now he calls them hard rock

BlueOyster23 08-19-2006 02:49 PM

I think UG needs to decide where bands like Black Sabbath belong in the forums.

Inahrima 08-19-2006 03:02 PM

^ Since deciding a genre based solely on time period alone seems extremly stupid, i'd say Black Sabbath belongs in the Metal Forum.

BlueOyster23 08-19-2006 03:19 PM

I disagree, I find that Black Sabbath was/is defienately hard rock, of the classic sort, due to not only the massive amount of blues styling, but other stylings to. Like "Changes" isn't a metal ballad, it's something else. "Never Say Die" and "Supernaut" seem to experiment elsewhere than metal, as many classic rock bands experimented with their sound.