UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Rock (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   The Black Crowes (PLEASE READ FIRST POST) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505267)

BrainDamage 01-15-2007 04:25 PM

The Black Crowes (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

I am a huge Black Crowes fan, one of the only ones I know. They are one of my absolute favorite bands, I've seen them three times and own everything they've put out, plus a bunch of live shows. These guys are a great band, with some awesome studio albums and they kick ass live. I very rarely hear about them on this website (except for when I mention them), and I'm curious as to who else likes them. So...share your thoughts here :)

2011 EDIT: THE EXISTENCE OF THIS THREAD IN THE CLASSIC ROCK FORUM IS NOT A RESULT OF A CHANGE IN THIS FORUM'S RULES. It is simply here because let's face it, the only people who post in it these days are considered Classic Rock forum regulars. And if you want to be more specific, it's usually just me talking to myself. Modern Rock forum moderator DownInAHole. agreed to move this thread to this forum for our convenience.

Derigiberble 01-15-2007 04:27 PM

Southern Harmony. 'Nuff said.

RainSong 01-15-2007 04:28 PM

They are deffinently a solid band. i only have a greatest hits and have been meaning to get some of their albums. But yeah i really like um. im sure i'll like them more when i get some albums

igotabcrich32 01-15-2007 04:29 PM

Amazing band, i think you, me, and Derigiberble are the only ones on here that can discuss them outside of Hard to Handle and Remedy.

anyways, whats everyone's favorite album, i've been taking a liking to Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.

BrainDamage 01-15-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derigiberble
Southern Harmony. 'Nuff said.
couple of months ago I would have agreed with you...but lately, Amorica is where its at.

Derigiberble 01-15-2007 04:31 PM

Three Snakes and One Charm. Seem to be everyone's least favourite and yet I share the opinion of Chris Robinson that it's the best thing they've ever done. The horns on that album are awesome.

BrainDamage 01-15-2007 04:33 PM

^^I tend to think that more people dislike Lions. Three Snakes is a great album...I love One Mirror Too Many and Evil Eye.

Jules 01-15-2007 04:36 PM

Yes they rock very hard,
I like how each album is so different from the others yet still the same.
Favorite album has to be...
each of the first two,
because the first one really shows some killer licks and good songwriting and the second one is like a free for all rock-jam.

BTW anybody know any good bands like them?

Lost_Rose 01-15-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDamage
I very rarely hear about them on this website (except for when I mention them

And the Zep thread of course :p:

anyway I saw them back in 2001 I think at the millenium stadium. Seeing them live and in an arena with like 80,000 other fans was amazing

BrainDamage 01-15-2007 04:40 PM

^^this show?

http://www.crowesbase.com/tapelisting.cfm?TapeID=1294

Derigiberble 01-15-2007 04:42 PM

If you like the Crowes, check out the obvious country artists like The Byrds, Gram Parsons and The Band, but also have a look into a band called American Minor. I love them plus I'm in their top friends on myspace cos i'm "supa cool".

http://www.myspace.com/americanminor

Guess who I am. ;)

EDIT: Aww yeah I forgot the Stereophonics were such good friends with the Crowes. There's a video somewhere on the net of them performing together with Jools Holland.

Lost_Rose 01-15-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDamage

Yep that be the one. They owned it they should of been the headliners but we cant get it all can we

Abe 01-15-2007 05:29 PM

^I've been to see the Phonics, and would have much rather seen the Black Crowes supporting than who we got (the Dead 60's, who were okay).

They've got loadsa pretty decent songs, just good swaying bluesy rock riffs. Hard to Handle I think is my favourite one at the moment.

igotabcrich32 01-15-2007 05:45 PM

What are all of your favorite songs from them?

right now mine would probably have to be Thorn In My Pride.

BrainDamage 01-15-2007 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Rose
Yep that be the one. They owned it they should of been the headliners but we cant get it all can we
That's an ok setlist...6 songs from Lions...yikes.

The three shows I was at were:
2005-06-22
2006-07-22
2006-11-08

the third show was one of the best I've ever been to.

Lessthanbass22 01-15-2007 06:20 PM

Ya man the Black Crowes are electric, I have the greatest hits and amorica and i'm loving them. I remember hearing somewhere that one of the members left, any truth to this??

BrainDamage 01-15-2007 06:33 PM

^^two members.

Marc Ford- guitar
Eddie Harsch- keyboards

replaced by

Paul Stacey- guitar
Rob Clores- keyboards

Paul and Rob are pretty good, but neither of them come close to Marc and Eddie.

igotabcrich32 01-15-2007 07:10 PM

So i just stumbled upon some awesome stuff.

Sweet Pickle Salad with Chris on vocals and Marc Ford of guitar, it has some members of Jellyfish in it, and theres even flute in it, its really good sounding.

i also just found Ford's band Burning Tree's self titled album (there only one)

BrainDamage 01-15-2007 08:06 PM

^^my god what a find, I've been looking everywhere for Burning Tree. I want to hear what they sounds like...Marc Ford is awesome.

igotabcrich32 01-15-2007 09:39 PM

The albums really good, its different that i expected though (well you should know, you've probably already listened through the whole thing twice now).

the Sweet Pickle Salad is really good, i think i like it slightly more than Burning Tree, even though theres only 4 tracks, i wish they had recorded more.