UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Boss GT-8 Thread (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596400)

TwoString 05-30-2007 04:04 PM

The Boss GT-8 Thread

So it's official...I've sold my GT-8 and it will be gone tomorrow. It's a great unit, but I just don't use it much anymore. I had a lot of success with the unit, so I figured I'd post my positives and negatives here before I let it go.

Positives.

-New Effects. Plain and simple, this unit will give you access to effects combinations and parameter controls that no single pedal can. Like I've said many times before, when you can deliver a tremolo pedal that reacts to where my phaser sweep is, and make the phaser react to how hard I'm strumming the strings, then we'll talk. Until then, the GT-8 is the only unit with this depth of control outside of some of the higher end (RE: Expensive) rack units.

-Great tones. Screw that individual stomps are better myth, this unit is on par with many of the rack processors on the market. The reverbs, delays and other time effects are amazing. I had a lot of time to get to know this unit, and there are many ways to get rid of the digital "yuck" noise that plagues many digital units. As far as how it competes with individual stomps, it all depends on what stomps you're comparing it to. It does the Boss Delay/Chorus/Flanger/Phaser/ETC stuff just as well as the Boss single pedals, and the Compressor is flawless. The Overdrive effects...there are some that just aren't usable, but there are more than enough to give you great overdrive and distortion tones. Set this unit up right and it won't do you wrong.

-Amp Models. This unit isn't just about the amp models, but the amp models are what attracts most new users to multi effects. Simply put, you're not going to get a Marshall stack with this floorboard, but you will get a nice sampling of what those rigs can do. As long as you are honest with yourself and know that this is a modeling processor and not an amp, you can build great guitar tones. You have to change your approach to building guitar tones...cranking settings is the opposite of what you want to do. Keep in mind that the amp models don't have to be used as amp models...I used some of them as overdrive effects to push my Fender Hot Rod a little more. The combined tones give you a lot of color to create with.

-Manual Simplicity. I rarely used multiple patches. I typically had a single patch with all of my effects preset to specific tones, just turned off. By keeping the unit in manual mode, I could switch in and out specific effects as if a pile of single effects were at my feet. For the more complicated switching, hit the control switch and switch patches. It's stupid simple and gives you tons of versatility.

Negatives

-Learning Curve. This unit will take a while to learn. Digital was a new realm for me. I was a tube snob and an analog effects junkie until I saw what this unit could do. But building tones and sculpting effects wasn't as easy as before. I had to relearn how to build sounds with the unit, but the rewards were well worth it. The change in approach has helped me greatly in dialing in tones from tube amps and analog effects as well. Understanding how the sound is generated and what is going on inside of each and every piece of gear is vital, and I didn't really understand a lot of those principals until I got this unit.

-Your Amp Is Still Important. The GT-8 will not make a horrible amp sound good. The tones you eventually hear will depend greatly on what you're pushing this unit through. The GT-8 sounded great with the Hot Rod Deluxe, but I had some problems with my Mesa Roadster. After re-dialing, I recovered and had some great tones, but I flip flopped and learned to love simplicity again. If you don't have the money to buy a decent tube amp, the GT-8 through a keyboard amp or small PA system will give you great tones and a lot of coverage for the money.

-EQ is your friend and your enemy. This unit is very touchy and sensitive to minor EQ changes. Something as simple as turning the tone down on your guitar will make a major change in your sound through the GT-8. Some will like that, I did not. Whenever I wanted to dial down the highs just a bit, turning my tone control from 10 to 9 resulted in mud. Going into the menu and dialing down the same control from within the EQ block resulted in great tones, but if I had to do it in a pinch, it would take around 10 seconds to make the change in the GT-8 as opposed to the <1 second it would take me to knock the tone knob down with my pinky. Keep in mind that this may not be a problem for you depending on what guitar you have.

-Tone Tweaking. If you're a tweak junky and you spend hours just dialing in knobs on your amp, then this unit will be your undoing. There is simply no end. Bad or good, you decide, but I spent so many hours dialing and re-dialing settings because I kept finding so many great new tones that I spent less and less time actually playing. Buying a Mesa Roadster wasn't a good way to help this problem :D (shoulda bought a Valve Jr...but then I would have spent months tearing it apart and modding it)

In the end, I can't sing the praises of this unit enough. It's worth trying if you're looking for a lot of versatility for the price. If you're looking into getting a GT-8, keep in mind that the price tag is ALWAYS NEGOTIABLE!!! If you ever walk out of Guitar Center with something that you paid sticker price for, you are a fool (some things cannot be negotiated...Mesa is a good example, but always check with other vendors to see what prices they offer). The GT-8 can be had for well under $400...recently, they were on sale at Guitar Center for $200. A friend of mine haggled and got his for around $250. If you walk into Guitar Center with $250 in cash, flash it and they will give the GT-8 to you for that price. If you push it, you can get it for cheaper. The bang for buck value goes up quickly once you get this unit below $340.

Although I will no longer have a GT-8, I have more than enough experience with it. If anyone has any questions about the unit or needs some help dialing in effects or tones, I will be happy to answer. I am hoping that this thread will become the UG haven for GT-8 users who need real help, so try to keep this thread clean of spam and any other unhelpful information.

evening_crow 05-30-2007 04:16 PM

Great indeed, but how would u compare it with other multieffects processors such as a Line 6 PODXT Live, or Digitech GNX4, or a Zoom G9.2TT, or the Toneworks or w/e one?

MiG_853 05-30-2007 04:51 PM

Have it, love. And though I'm going for a tube amp next I inted to keep it for all its wonderous qwirky effects.

TwoString 05-30-2007 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Great indeed, but how would u compare it with other multieffects processors such as a Line 6 PODXT Live, or Digitech GNX4, or a Zoom G9.2TT, or the Toneworks or w/e one?

My comparisons...

Line6 POD XTL - decent rig for the money, but I feel the GT-8 beats it hands down for effects. As far as amp sims go, the GT-8 has a better ability to clean up and loose that digital rasp that typically plagues amp sims. I could not dial this out of the Line6 no matter what I tried.

DigiTech Anything (except for the older rack processors) - every digitech I've tried sounds like a broken toy. There's just no comparison here.

Zoom G9.2TT - a great unit, but Zoom made the mistake of using lower quality samples. The tube sections don't really do anything, they're just boosters (having a booster in front of a digital effects unit is about the most ******ed concept I've ever seen...easily coaxes digital distortion from the first ADAC). The next generation might be worth giving a try.

Toneworks - decent unit and probably the only real contender against the GT-8. The only problem I had with this unit were the dullness of the effects...most of them sounded too dull. Some of the amp models were decent however.

callum2903 07-11-2007 06:09 PM

the POD 2.0 os better, but this is still good
the probelem with line6 tho is who atchally noes wht a true line 6 tone is? they ahvnt for years made an amp which hasnt been completly bassed on the " models" form other amps basicly, its an amp which reacts perfectly to what ever effects u put tho it and changed to the anp that would be eprfect, i wnt o hear a proper line6 amp tho, one with ot all the fancy efefcts and just a pure line6 tone to see what it sounds like,, how about a guitar that doesnt have 20 soudns and just ahs a pure tone, cmon line 6 soudns like ur tryin to just copy eveyrone elses stuff and put it in one unit
btw stomp boxes are harde to use but give u a beta sound that digial ever will when live, but still the digi are vyer vyer good for ease of use

Chinomaster182 07-11-2007 07:37 PM

Im trying to get rid of mine, i hate how touchy it gets with distortion and how it mostly sounds like digital mud if you don't tweak it.

Some effects i think are pretty good and some i think are useless. I hate how deep and complex it is.

I like how easy it is too tweak the tones and mold it too something you really like relatively quick, i love how easy it is too switch from different tones.

fuzzyDXMG 07-11-2007 10:46 PM

why did you get rid of your gt8 if you liked it?

TwoString 07-12-2007 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callum2903
the POD 2.0 os better, but this is still good
the probelem with line6 tho is who atchally noes wht a true line 6 tone is? they ahvnt for years made an amp which hasnt been completly bassed on the " models" form other amps basicly, its an amp which reacts perfectly to what ever effects u put tho it and changed to the anp that would be eprfect, i wnt o hear a proper line6 amp tho, one with ot all the fancy efefcts and just a pure line6 tone to see what it sounds like,, how about a guitar that doesnt have 20 soudns and just ahs a pure tone, cmon line 6 soudns like ur tryin to just copy eveyrone elses stuff and put it in one unit
btw stomp boxes are harde to use but give u a beta sound that digial ever will when live, but still the digi are vyer vyer good for ease of use

Reading your post was the most painful thing I've done in the last month

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyDXMG
why did you get rid of your gt8 if you liked it?

Needed money.

KazVH100R 07-12-2007 07:25 AM

^lol

Line 6 does have it's own tones. They have original models like Insane etc

Jinskee 07-12-2007 07:44 AM

Is t he GT-8 that great? I've always heard bad thtings about them! Dang...

Also, thte GT-8 and thte POD 2 xt's...are they just amp modeler effects you put through your amp?

I mean, I've been looking for a practice amp to play with...

TwoString 07-12-2007 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazVH100R
^lol

Line 6 does have it's own tones. They have original models like Insane etc

Not as such, no. You're talking about EQ curves, not true tonal response. I'm an advocate of digital technology and feel it has it's place in all music, but I for sure know that there is no such thing as "Line6 tone". Digital is a different beast. It allows you to create brand new, vastly different tones from scratch. With the GT-8, I could create completely different amplifier and effects sounds just by building my own custom models based on several parameters from other amp models. The options are nearly endless, but I would never call it "GT-8 tone" because it's something that's not unique to the GT-8. It's unique to the user, which is a better option any day. Back to the EQ curve concept...it would be a unique Line6 tone if that EQ curve couldn't be replicated anywhere else. Since that's not the case, I wouldn't call the Insane model a unique Line6 tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinskee
Is t he GT-8 that great? I've always heard bad thtings about them! Dang...

Also, thte GT-8 and thte POD 2 xt's...are they just amp modeler effects you put through your amp?

I mean, I've been looking for a practice amp to play with...

The only thing I can say from my point of view is this. The GT-8 is a very advanced piece of gear. I don't care what anyone else says, amp models aside, the effects and range of this unit kills any competition hands down. Even against rack units like the G-Major, I feel that the GT-8 not only competes well in the quality department, it has far more range than the G-Major. Here's something that many forget...YOU DON'T HAVE TO TURN ON THE AMP MODELS!! As a stand alone multi-effect processor (which isn't evil...just about every studio session guy, sideman and even pro solo artists like Petrucci and Vai use them) it's a great unit. Factor in the fact that you can pick one of these up for around $200 new (haggle haggle haggle) you can't beat it. BUT...like I said, it depends on your willingness to learn the unit and take the time to set it up properly. I dialed mine in to work with the Mesa. It was the most transparent effect processor I've ever used. Using it in the effects loop, without any effects turned on on the GT-8, I could activate and then hard bypass the effects loop and there was no difference in the tone. That's when you know you've hit the sweet spot. Every unit requires this set up process, even the most expensive Eventide processors.

It's not easy, but if you put some effort into it, you'll reap many benefits.

x Misanthropy x 07-12-2007 09:42 AM

i luv my gt8....would never sell it... >_>

rainbow_rising 07-12-2007 10:10 AM

First of all...i would like to thank 2string for this thread...

Second, Can i conect the thing to a pc? I know it has midi and all that crap....but does it have some sort of software to play around with?

TwoString 07-12-2007 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_rising
First of all...i would like to thank 2string for this thread...

Second, Can i conect the thing to a pc? I know it has midi and all that crap....but does it have some sort of software to play around with?

You can...

For recording, you can use the headphone output to connect to the mic input on any sound card. The sound will be a bit dirty though. You also have the option to go digital and use the coax output into the line input on your computer as well. You will need to set your levels so you don't distort the digital input on the PC.

For editing and patch utilities, you can get a usb/midi adapter. You will need an editor program. There is no editor program from Boss that works with the GT-8, so you'll have to use one of the community created editors. I would recommend Mr. Sleepy's editor (check out bossgtcentral.com for more details).

rainbow_rising 07-12-2007 04:54 PM

Another question...

I am abit confused about the "effect-before-another-effect" story...Wah after delay...etc...

can someone enlighten me a bit?

rickmeister 07-12-2007 05:01 PM

Quick question... if you bypass the amp models and just add effects to the tone already on your amp which is on overdrive and save it, can you save another setting on the pedal which makes your amp completely clean? Basically you'd be treating your Boss GT8 like a footswitch that changes channels.
Thanks.

TwoString 07-12-2007 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_rising
Another question...

I am abit confused about the "effect-before-another-effect" story...Wah after delay...etc...

can someone enlighten me a bit?

Basically, you can re-arrange the effects in any order you choose. For instance, instead of being locked into a static "wah-distortion-delay-chorus" order, you could actually move it around and make it "distortion-chorus-delay-wah". Sometimes the result is a completely unique sound that would not be possible, even with all of the effects one the same settings. It's a basic concept to keep in mind when you're building tones, with or without a digital processor. Even with singles, you've got to keep in mind that you're building an equation, and each effect is going to not only have a direct impact on the end result, it's going to have a direct impact on every effect that comes before it in the chain. Most of the time, you wouldn't want to apply distortion to a signal that has repeating echo on it. The end result could be chaotic and horrible to listen to as the transistors and clipping diodes react differently to this echoed signal. The other way around is more pleasing. But sometimes you want chaos, right? :devil:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeister
Quick question... if you bypass the amp models and just add effects to the tone already on your amp which is on overdrive and save it, can you save another setting on the pedal which makes your amp completely clean? Basically you'd be treating your Boss GT8 like a footswitch that changes channels.
Thanks.

You can have the GT-8 perform channel switching on your amplifier, but the switching is very limited. Basically, you're screwed if your amp has anything more than 2 channels. When I was planning on expanding my rig with a new amp, I was seriously looking at the Mesa Lonestar and I was planning the entire setup around the fact that I could build patches that would use the external switching feature on the Lone Star to switch between channel 1 and 2 on the amp. I never really used more than one block of patches on the GT-8, and for the most part I only had to use one or two patches because there are so many options in a given patch. So patch one could be your clean patch, and patch two your distortion patch because the amp channel is set to short on patch two.

It's like this. The GT-8 amp switch feature uses as standard mono 1/4" jack. There are two wires in a standard guitar cable. One channel relies on the logic that the relay in the amp will be in one state (we'll call this the "clean" state) while the tip and sleeve of that jack are not "touching" each other. The other channel relies on the logic that the relay will be in another state (the "dirty" state) when the tip and sleeve of that jack come into contact with each other, completing a circuit (or a broken circuit, depending on how the switching circuit on your amp works). That's all the switching circuit does on the GT-8...it connects and disconnects the ring/sleeve connection on a 1/4" mono plug.

Make any sense?

fuzzyDXMG 07-13-2007 06:05 AM

I havea 2 channel valveking head, any idea if the gt8 will work with it to switch for me?

Great thread BTW i have been contemplating a gt8 for months and you have sealed the deal for me. its just what im looking for,. the amp models WILL remain off for prolly all its life in my possesion. How do I get this for 200 at guitar center......beg and cry poverty for a while and flash 200 cash?????

rainbow_rising 07-13-2007 07:46 AM

Yeah...i wish i could get it for 200 too!!! But no MISTER!!! Go break your back in a consturction yard all summer to give some stupid music-shop guy 400 euros!! Damn...

marvelboy_04 07-13-2007 08:15 AM

hey two string, how would you say this compares to the vox tonelab?
i went to guitarcenter to try some pedals (podxt live,digitech and vox) and the vox won, but i didnt have time to try the boss