UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Live free or die erect - The ONLY political thread (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612877)

primusfan 06-23-2007 04:52 AM

Live free or die erect - The ONLY political thread

you know the rules. respect other people's opinions and try not to flame. give your arguments some substance, no "USA is gay. anarchy!" or "europe is full of subversive homosexual atheists" ... as true as it is, it's just impolite to point it out. i tease the limeys. :heart:

try to keep it more conversational and less confrontational.

thanks guys!
- davey

rifftnstrings 06-23-2007 04:55 AM

So...how 'bout them communists?

...:(

yawn 06-23-2007 04:56 AM

^ How 'bout them politicians?

beetroot10 06-23-2007 04:57 AM

who does everyone reakon will win the next election? (in Aus)
im going 50/50 with them both

HeavenlyVirus 06-23-2007 05:02 AM

So...Bush sure is an inarticulate moron. The War on Terror is un-winnable. I don't like any of the '08 candidates. :(

JeffWiredBeck24 06-23-2007 05:02 AM

So guys, Democratic Primaries, Bill Richardson yes?

Argon 06-23-2007 05:03 AM

Here in Belgium an extreme-right group (Vlaams Belang) had the second most votes in the elections two weeks ago. It's really freaking me out. Time for a good old revolution I say.

primusfan 06-23-2007 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWiredBeck24
So guys, Democratic Primaries, Bill Richardson yes?

dennis kucinich, yes. i never thought i'd vote for a hippie democrat. i mean he's essentially a green. but i don't trust the way richardson looks.

looks sort of like a live action mayor quimby.

the only candidates i trust are kucinich and paul. because, even though they're on opposite ends of the spectrum, they're both principled. i'm slightly skeptical of kucinich because of his switch to pro-choice policies. not that that one issue determines my vote, but that this could be a sign of partyline politics.

rifftnstrings 06-23-2007 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyVirus
I don't like any of the '08 candidates. :(

I really need to start looking into all of them, considering I'm gonna be able to vote by the time the presidential election rolls by..

At the moment, Obama's looking like the best candidate.

RaNdoM-FeLiX 06-23-2007 05:14 AM

yeah them politicians in Australia... damn them!!

First page:)

Cal UK 06-23-2007 05:14 AM

So for the Brits, Brown or DC in the next election. I'm gonna say Brown, go for him on policies not personality.

primusfan 06-23-2007 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifftnstrings
I really need to start looking into all of them, considering I'm gonna be able to vote by the time the presidential election rolls by..

At the moment, Obama's looking like the best candidate.

i can see obama two ways. the next clinton: a centrist president well liked world-wide. or just a neo-con pawn. i'd like to say the first, being the optimist i am, but c'mon, the guy's so inexperienced. when push comes to shove, i think he will buckle.

HeavenlyVirus 06-23-2007 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
i can see obama two ways. the next clinton: a centrist president well liked world-wide. or just a neo-con pawn. i'd like to say the first, being the optimist i am, but c'mon, the guy's so inexperienced. when push comes to shove, i think he will buckle.

I also see him 2 ways....black.....a muslim. not that either of those would affect the way i feel about him....he seems like he's too young IMO, which is good in a way, because he will have a fresh mindset on what he wants to do. It can also be bad, because he's inexperienced, which is the LAST thing we need right now.

zerodeck 06-23-2007 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argon
Here in Belgium an extreme-right group (Vlaams Belang) had the second most votes in the elections two weeks ago. It's really freaking me out. Time for a good old revolution I say.

yea but you know, maybe they should be in the government for 1 time, because they can't rule, they've always been in the opposition, they can complain and discuss, but they can't rule a government, everyone would see how a bad they are in politics and never vote on them again
and they even lost a chair in the Chamber, so don't be freaked out by the results, CD&V won KICKASS!!!

Froddy 06-23-2007 05:39 AM

Is voting compulsory in Australia? I think I heard that somewhere, but I think it's a rather silly setup. People who actually aren't that bothered about the politics, but just vote as they are obliged to would ''ip-dip-do'' their vote, which I'm sure would happen with quite a large amount of people.

matt47569 06-23-2007 06:10 AM

Johnny Howard is going to get killed by Kevin Rudd in the next election.. Johnny's getting to old.. even though he now uses a blackberry PDA instead of a normal mobile phone, he's still not with it..

K-Rudd can relate to the younger people, being the lively 49 year old spring chicken that he is

:haha

figsandbobo 06-23-2007 06:42 AM

First page ftw

Yeah, I think Ron Paul above Obama and Clinton.

Thin-Lizzy 06-23-2007 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal UK
So for the Brits, Brown or DC in the next election. I'm gonna say Brown, go for him on policies not personality.

Opinion polls say Cameron slightly atm don't they? To be honest I'm not a fan of either but there is growing disengagement with politics and I think this is at least partly true to Labour's falling reputation. Plus the whole West Lothian Question means that I and others I know think that Brown wouldn't be acceptable to a lot of the English electorate.

On a side note, how creepy is Brown's smile?

dazzler16 06-23-2007 07:01 AM

For anyone who didnt keep an eye on the Irish general elections Fine gael nearly got as many seats as Fianna Fail. That annoyed me ecasue Fianna fail are trying to get rid of Irish as a mandatory subject in the Leaving Cert.

Cal UK 06-23-2007 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin-Lizzy
On a side note, how creepy is Brown's smile?

very. The funny thing is I have a history teacher called Mr Brown, and we think he has a paedophile smile as well. It must be the name.