UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The ONLY Valve King Discussion Thread (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737907)

kosmic 12-17-2007 01:18 AM

The ONLY Valve King Discussion Thread

It seems Valve King threads and questions are becoming common around here, so here's a thread just for that!

I've heard people say that it's pure crap. I've also heard people say it's an amazing amp. Which is it?! So in this thread, ask questions, discuss the Valve King, say what it's good for, what it's not good for, ect...

Also, if you own a Valve King, specify which kind, and please provide a brief review for it.

:cheers:

PS, feel free to post photographs of your Valve King. :)

pmeg568c 12-17-2007 01:22 AM

um, why not an ONLY MG thread. the valveking is not really discussed that much. only within threads

kosmic 12-17-2007 01:28 AM

Exactly, so now people know where to go for information on the Valve King, since opinions seem to be so divided on it.

pmeg568c 12-17-2007 01:38 AM

on second thought...

I have the valveking halfstack. I bought it used for 400 dollars. ridiculously good deal. currently in the process of selling the 4x12 cab for a 2x12 with vintage 30s, but even with the crap stock speakers, it sounds great. I have a crap epiphone sg, with stock pickups. the cleans are awesome, i can get an awesome minus the bear tone out of it. Distortion is also great. i havent had a chance to crank it yet, since its been in my apartment, but it already sounds good. Has more gain then id ever need, and it SOUNDS GOOD too. despite people saying it isnt voiced for modern metal it is. Just look at youtube demo's for more proof. I can get an awesome converge tone, and if i played or liked metalcore, it would do awesome. You definitely do not need an OD to get metal out of this amp, whether or not you think it is voiced for it or not. On mine, the resonance and presence controls actually make a very big difference, as does the class a and ab. Once i have had a chance to play with some pedals, and my new cab ill update this a bit.

Ardie12 12-17-2007 01:48 AM

i really want one

slash_rocks2005 12-17-2007 01:56 AM

i ALMOST settled for one.....b/c it was all tube, sounded GREAT mind you, and the price was just bout at home. .

then i went to a second local guitar shop and saw the Randall rm50 on SALE :D

retail price is $1400, and it was slashed down to $750.....

so i convinced my bro to buy me that instead b/c i have admit the tone is way clearer and saturated in the randall.

but the valveking is NOT a bad buy, just people who are too lazy to figure out how to EQ an amp rite want everything to be achieved with 5 seconds of fiddling.

amadeus_who 12-17-2007 02:17 AM

i got a valveking stack... 100 watts louder than hell

they are for the price - the best you can do (esp here in australia) i was in the market for a marshall dsl - it sucked total balls compared to the vk, altho theyre both great amps i play punk and i get a killer bad religion-esque tone out of it the dsl sounded well it didnt sound tough enough if that makes sense

i jumped on the valve king band wagon it kicks

9/10 (coz its way to loud for home but i do it anyways)

Say Ocean 12-17-2007 04:15 AM

Good amp if you put it on a decent cab imo. Peavey and their damn crappy speakers....

kosmic 12-17-2007 06:08 PM

What do you guys think of the 112 and 212 versions? And provide photographs of your VKs!

Hakael 12-17-2007 07:23 PM

I've got the VK100 and personally I think it's a beast of an amp. Some of the complaints regarding the tone could probably be remedied by any combination of speaker change, tube change, and/or proper EQ setting. That being said, it's still going to come down to personal preference.

My name is Hakael, and I'm a Valve King player. :D

keno190 12-17-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakael
My name is Hakael, and I'm a Valve King player. :D

hahahhaah..classic!!
i have a vk112 too, but i haven't tapped it too much due to the apartment setting i am in. I have to respect my neighbors too. lol

amadeus_who 12-17-2007 07:27 PM

heres my strat and vk100 for your viewing pleasure

peace out homies

amadeus_who 12-19-2007 04:57 AM

this page died... bump that ****

Limakontol 12-19-2007 05:10 AM

Can anyone comment on the combo versions ? specifically the 112, im planning to use it for metal, but good clean as well.. im not buying stacks... my neighbur would kill me

H4T3BR33D3R 12-19-2007 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeus_who
heres my strat and vk100 for your viewing pleasure

peace out homies

Those stickers on your pick guard are sweet.

mrmarc772 12-19-2007 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limakontol
Can anyone comment on the combo versions ? specifically the 112, im planning to use it for metal, but good clean as well.. im not buying stacks... my neighbur would kill me

you prolly wanna play it... not really an insane amount of gain pumpin through that thing...

and it has a speaker out... so you can always buy a cab later if the neighbors piss you off.

Dr. B 12-19-2007 08:10 AM

I have the 100W head which I play through a Laney 4x12 (just got a Laney 2x12 but I haven't tried it yet.

For the price the VK is very decent.
The real tube sound is there for sure but when put side by side with a real quality amp you can tell the difference.
But there is a price difference.

My bandmate has a JCM900 which he uses a Boss overdrive with and I much prefer the sound of the VK.

There is enough gain for death metal but not enough in my opinion for black metal and it's not modern in the sense of a 6505 or Mesa.

Not really tried the cleans :cool:

wilmearz 12-19-2007 08:19 AM

im currently borrowing the VK 50 watt 112 combo, and even though its minus the reverb unit, cos my teacher is lending it to someone, i still really like it! it gets a pretty good guns n roses tone though not absolutely amazing. a good step up to a tube amp from an mg! The clean sounds are good and v versityle, the OD is classic sounding and the whole tone can be changed from class A to A/B wid the texture control. overall, i really like it though i will probably not buy one, as i am really looking for a jcm 800.

Hakael 12-19-2007 12:05 PM

Does anyone have any particular settings they'd like to share?

vegetoe01 12-19-2007 12:10 PM

I own the 212 combo, and it's loud as hell. The cleans are great, but it feedsback too much on the higher gain setting, hence the need for a noise gate. Also it sounds quite muffled at high volume, I'm guessing thats because of the speakers. It's also broken down on me twice, so yeh not pleased with it's reliability. So far since it's last repair it's been ok though, just hope it can last long enough till i get a decent gigging amp. Overall I'd say save a bit more and get a Laney if you live in the U.K.