UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The Ultimate Ibanez Edge III Set-Up Guide (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750052)

FRDesign 12-31-2007 08:29 PM

The Ultimate Ibanez Edge III Set-Up Guide

The Ultimate Ibanez Edge III Set-Up Guide

I decided that a lot of people have a Mid level Ibanez Trem guitar with an Edge III trem system. A lot of the are not set up properly, and that makes the trem function bad, not stay in tune and makes the Knife Edges wear fast.

If it is set up correctly, it can last you a few years, and will stay in tune.

A lot of people think that there trem base should be parallel to the body since it has Low Profile Saddles, thats wrong, because it is not a completely low pro trem like the Edge Pro and Edge Pro III.

A Propery set up trem should have its Knife edges straight with the posts, but with the Edge III you cannot see them. The Base plate should be slanted. A good guide is that the bottom of the fine tuners should be straight with the body.

If you got your guitar, and it looks like this, it is WRONG!.

Thats what most people think it should look like, and that causes premature knife edge wear, and a loss of tuning stability

FRDesign 12-31-2007 08:30 PM

How To Change Your Strings

It Really is not that hard. A Lot of people say that its hard to change strings on a Floyd Rose trem, but its not, and if you are keeping the same Gauge and Brand of Strings that it is set up for, its even easier. If you need to change tunings and String Gauges go to the next Post, where I can tell you how to set it up for what you are doing.

You will Need:
1. Allen Wrenches (a 3MM is MANDATORY)
2. 9V Battery or something Similar to Block it
3. Wire Cutters
4. A Tuner
----------

1. Put the trem bar in, and then insert a 9V battery in the trem cavity, underneath the fine tuners.

2. Remove the current strings on it. Unlock the Nut first, then unwind, and unlock at the bridge

3. slide new strings through machine head, and nut, cut off ball ends if wanted

4. Strings goes into saddle, lock

5. Tune to 1 half step lower, then remove 9V battery

6. Completely tune.

7. Stretch strings and keep tuning

8. Lock nut

FRDesign 12-31-2007 08:31 PM

*reserved for future posts*

FRDesign 12-31-2007 08:32 PM

*reserved, again*

And you can now post.

False_God 12-31-2007 08:33 PM

Edge III sucks. Im sorry but its true.

diditfortehlulz 12-31-2007 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by False_God
Edge III sucks. Im sorry but its true.

Sorry to say, but he's right.

Ibanez saves the good hardware for their Prestige models. I mean, if they put Edge Pro's and all that on their mid level RG's, what incentive would people have to buy the higher end models?

I think it's great that you're doing this though. Kudos! :p:

Edge III's are not as bad as a lot of people make them out to be.

timi_hendrix 12-31-2007 08:53 PM

Haha, you're still trying to justify your purchase. Quite clearly you know jack all, because otherwise the first post would have contained specific information on how to set up an Edge III to be good. :rolleyes:

National_Anthem 12-31-2007 09:00 PM

Ultimate set-up guide for Edge III. Carefully unscrew EdgeIII. Purchase OFR. Install OFR.

Nayr303 12-31-2007 09:00 PM

So, where is the guide? I just took mine to the shop this morning and the dude got it all set up for free. I didn't tell him I messed with it, because as soon as he seen it he about flipped out because it was set up so wrong. :p:

National_Anthem 12-31-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timi_hendrix
Haha, you're still trying to justify your purchase. Quite clearly you know jack all, because otherwise the first post would have contained specific information on how to set up an Edge III to be good. :rolleyes:

Is there actually enough set-up to run into more than one post?

FRDesign 12-31-2007 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timi_hendrix
I havent wrote anything yet, I'm taking pictures right now, and then uploading em.

steven seagull 12-31-2007 09:26 PM

If you know so much about the Edge 3 then why not mention the notch on the bridge plate that tells you when the bridge is level?

This thread fails completely.

FRDesign 12-31-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
If you know so much about the Edge 3 then why not mention the notch on the bridge plate that tells you when the bridge is level?

This thread fails completely.
The Edge III doesn't have a notch on the Bridge plate.

steven seagull 12-31-2007 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDesign
The Edge III doesn't have a notch on the Bridge plate.

Seagull fails completely then :o

pifty 12-31-2007 09:37 PM

What's there to know about it anyways? The fact that the trem plate is confusingly uneven is the only real difference of EIII from any other cheap LFR out there.

8footsativaist 12-31-2007 10:44 PM

Do the designs of edge 3's differ slightly? Because my 320 FM's flat at the tuning pegs, yours seem to curve and raise over the locking nuts.

Anyway, Edge 3's aren't that bad. Mine was awful before I redid it. When it's off, it goes mentally off. When it's on, it's bang on. Just as any other floyd really.

pifty 12-31-2007 10:47 PM

^ Yours seems to have the Edge Pro II

8footsativaist 12-31-2007 10:51 PM

O rly?
In that case - Man people write some dumbass reviews, even on this site.
Ohwell.
What's better, edge 3 or 2? Or whatever one it is that I happen to have.

pifty 12-31-2007 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8footsativaist
O rly?
In that case - Man people write some dumbass reviews, even on this site.
Ohwell.
What's better, edge 3 or 2? Or whatever one it is that I happen to have.

Naw man, don't worry, 320s had both Edge III and Edge Pro II. The latter's a bit better, but still nothing awesome.

C.C. Deville 12-31-2007 10:55 PM

thanks for making this thread, im looking forward to the string changing section, i just got my first "good" guitar for christmas and it has an edge III