UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar Archives (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Q&A for string changing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754081)

WlCmToTheJungle 03-28-2005 12:50 AM

Q&A for String Changing

Hello! There are many guitarist that do not know how to put on strings so I will save you the embarrassment of going to your local guitar store and saying "Can you replace my strings" and having them laugh at you while walking to the back of the store.

TAKING OFF STRINGS

Because it is hard to put on new strings when the old ones are already on the guitar you must take them off first (isnt that logical? lol) The first thing i would do is loosen the string. If u dont, and i have had this happen to me you will end up with a cut lip and some brand new RUSTED strings. If you happen to do cut yourself during this process immediatly get a kleenex or something because that creates rust on strings insanely fast. Then get some wire cutters and cut off the loosened string.

Strat Style Body Electric Guitar

Step One

The first step to putting on guitar strings is to take them out of the package and straighten them out a bit so it is easier to work with them. Just unravel them and run your fingers through the string so it gets it ready to hold a lot of tension. I would recomend putting on strings one at a time so it is easier on you.

Step Two

Ok now that you've got your entire strings ready its time to put them on your guitar.On a strat you have to slide the strings through the back of the guitar. There should be a small white plate on the back on your guitar with little tiny holes. Just slide them through and they will come out of the bridge.

Step Three

Bring your string up to the tuners. Make sure that the string is in the incisions on the bridge and nut. Ok now there are also many different was to do step 3. I find it easiest to bend the string at 90 degree angle about 3/4 of an inch from the tuning peg. Make sure your pulling on the string slightly hard so the measurement comes out right.

Step Four

Now that you have that down slide the string through the hole in the tuning peg and start twisting the tuning peg slowly. I would tune it up a whole step, let it sit for a minute or two, then tune it up again, let it sit for a minute or two, etc. That way the string becomes comfortable with the tension and doesn't snap in two seconds.

Step Five

Now you must tune your string. It may become hard on electric tuners because they aren?t used to the tinny sound so I would tune it by ear. After its in tune sit down and play.

Acoustic Guitar

This is slightly different then putting new strings on an elecric for example and it will be a little more difficult.

Step One

Open your pack of new strings and take out the 6th string. Remember, we are changing them one at a time.
The envelope the string is in should be labeled with a string gauge -- .054 is a common gauge for the sixth string in a set of light gauge acoustic strings. Slide your fingers through them so that they become comfortable.

Step Two

If you have an acoustic with string pegs, place the ball of the string into the peg hole and pull up and towards the sound hole until it catches in a slot or groove. This may take a few tries. Once the string catches, put the string peg back into the hole, placing the grooved portion of the peg over the string. Electric guitarist will be feeding the string through a hole in the body of the guitar or the tail piece (end stop, bridge, etc.) depending on your particular guitar.

Step Three

Once you have the ball end of the string in place, pull the string over the bridge of the guitar, then the nut of the neck, and up past the tuning peg. Now i would make a 90 degree angle at the string so it winds easier. Make the angle about 3/4 of an inch above the tuning peg

Step Four

Cut the end of the string off about a half an inch past the bend in the string. Feed the bent end of the string through the hole in the tuning peg and begin to wind it, all the while keeping tension on the string so it doesn't have any slack. Once you have the string started you can take out your string winder, slide it over the tuner and wind the string until it is tight.

Step Five

Next, take off the string winder and finish tightening the string until it is in tune. Repeat this process for each string until they have all been changed.

Heavy Tremelo - Floyd Rose, etc

Ok this is probably one of the hardest guitars to restring so dont get discouraged

Step One

Reset all fine tuning screws located on the bridge to a middle position. Loosen the "string-lock screw" located at the back side of your bridge using an allen key. The string-lock screws are the screws that run parallel to the body of your guitar.
After several counter-clockwise turns, the string should pop free from the bridge.

Step Two

Using an allen key, loosen the "nut clamping block" (the part of the guitar where the neck meets the headstock) that covers the sixth and fifth string. Once the nut clamping block is loosened, you should be able to extract the string from the guitar.

Step Three

Now, take your replacement string, and using wire cutters, clip off the ball at the bottom end of the string. Put the freshly clipped end of the string into the saddle of the bridge. Examine the other strings to see where exactly the new string should go.
Push the string down into the saddle as far as possible. You may have to further loosen the string-lock screw.

Step Four

Using your allen key, gently but firmly tighten the string-lock screw to hold the string in place (be careful not to over-tighten!) Be sure the string stays secure in the saddle while doing this.
Feed the string under the loosened nut clamping bolt, and under the "string retainer" (the bar on the headstock that runs parallel to the nut).

Step Five

Feed the string through the tuning peg, leaving some slack in the string. Then make a 90 degree angle about 3/4 of an inch above the tuning peg and wind it until it becomes intune.

Gibson Style Bridge

This is one of the easier bridges to work with.

Step One

The first step to putting on guitar strings is to take them out of the package and straighten them out a bit so it is easier to work with them. Just unravel them and run your fingers through the string so it gets it ready to hold a lot of tension. I would recomend putting on strings one at a time so it is easier on you.

Step Two

Ok now that you've got your entire strings ready its time to put them on your guitar. Ok now feed the string into the saddle and then on the actual bridge you will see little incisions in it. Pull on the string gently until all the string comes out. Make sure that the string is in the incision in the bridge.

Step Three

Bring your string up to the tuners. Make sure that the string is in the incisions on the bridge and nut. Ok now there are also many different was to do step 3. I find it easiest to bend the string at 90 degree angle about 3/4 of an inch from the tuning peg. Make sure your pulling on the string slightly hard so the measurement comes out right.

Step Four

Now that you have that down slide the string through the hole in the tuning peg and start twisting the tuning peg slowly. I would tune it up a whole step, let it sit for a minute or two, then tune it up again, let it sit for a minute or two, etc. That way the string becomes comfortable with the tension and doesn't snap in two seconds.

Step Five

Now you must tune your string. It may become hard on electric tuners because they aren?t used to the tinny sound so I would tune it by ear.

Final Notes

Remember there are many different ways to replace strings. This is just how i do it. There are many other techniques. I tried not to get over descriptive and confuse you but again i hope it was helpful

Thank You

The Nameless666 03-28-2005 12:54 AM

wow do that many ppl not know how to string a guitar?

WlCmToTheJungle 03-28-2005 12:57 AM

you would be suprised, besides the beginners need to learn sometime

jono034 03-28-2005 01:37 AM

much better :cheers:

Wetod 03-28-2005 01:59 AM

Which one of those qualifies as a hardtail\string through ?

Marcel Veltman 03-28-2005 05:02 AM

Very good idea to post this, WICmToTheJungle. Maybe our mods can make this stay on top of the threadlist, and then some cyberdude can post some pictures. The same should be done with threads explaining how to raise/lower action, how to adjust truss rods, how to clean guitars, what type of amp, etc. Just all the stuff that is asked again and again because manufacturers are afraid to insult their customers by providing basic owner manuals.

WlCmToTheJungle 03-28-2005 10:08 AM

Yea i do not currently have a digital camera nor 3 of these guitars lol

WlCmToTheJungle 03-28-2005 10:11 AM

can somebody plz post some pictures so its easier to understand

dwnbowden 03-28-2005 06:54 PM

You should post this as a lesson cos its really great

Mantiscabinet 03-29-2005 08:16 PM

i can restring, the only problem for me, is that it doesn't seem to look "pretty". you know how they are usually wrapped around the tuning peg three or four times? I can't seem to do that, or make it look proper at all

WlCmToTheJungle 03-29-2005 09:51 PM

ok well what u need to do is give the string some slack when u put it in the tuning peg, that way it looks like that, sorry i forgot to say that

high voltage 04-02-2005 07:37 PM

Hey WlCmToTheJungle ? have you considered submitting this as a lesson?

Emrgncyguy7 04-06-2005 09:42 AM

this may sound dumb, plus im not good at puttin strings on, but when i put new stings on my squier strat (yes im a noob) the bridge lifts up and stays like that when i tighten the strings and get them in tune. how do i make it not do that?

Mad Marius 04-07-2005 08:31 AM

^tighten the springs of the tremolo, or add additional springs.

On a sidenote, the threadstarter forgot all about classical guitars.

Then again, I guess not that many have a classical guitar and I suppose if you do have one, you would already know at least the basics.

Emrgncyguy7 04-07-2005 09:15 AM

how do you tighten the springs of the tremolo?

Mad Marius 04-07-2005 04:05 PM

^ Well, the springs should be attached to some kind of metal plate which is screwed in the body of the guitar. Just tighten those screws.

Btw, seeing as though you're new and all... if you want to make corrections to your post there's and EDIT button on the lower right, you needen't make another post to rectify your mistake.

Metalology 04-08-2005 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Nameless666
wow do that many ppl not know how to string a guitar?

2 words... Floyd Rose

dissection 04-11-2005 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wetod
Which one of those qualifies as a hardtail\string through ?

I am curious about this as well.

wilty00 04-16-2005 07:34 PM

I ****in suck at this. I cannot do it for the life of me. My teacher taught me it a long time ago but i hadnt changed them in a long time. Ive beenat it for 20 minutes. I feel like such a moron. Step 3 of the gibson part doesnt make alot of sense to me.. thats where im stuck.

WlCmToTheJungle 04-17-2005 03:32 PM

ok what you want to do is place it in the incisions in the bridge and bring the string up to the tuning pegs while keeping the string in the incisions in the bridge and the nut. Ok now bring the string up to the tuning peg and bend it about 3/4 of an inch away from the peg. Ok now that its bent put the string in the hole in the tuning peg and keep hold of the string so it doesnt come out. Then tighten