UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   MT's only "suggest me a song" thread (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=867263)

demonofthenight 05-24-2008 02:36 AM

MT's only "suggest me a song/what should I play" thread

After seeing alot of threads asking for the same thing, I have started this thread.
Dont know which song to learn next? Need a song that is in a particular key, in a particular time signature uses a particular modal progression, is in a specific genre? Ask for them here.

To post we need to know:
* Your skill level, as in how long you've been playing.
* The criteria of the song. (For example, what genre? what modal progression? what time signature? so on)
* Other genres/songs you usually play.

And as for some general rules:
1. Dont suggest indie songs no-one has ever heard of
2. Dont suggest songs that are too hard to find. Keep in mind most people are going to want tabs.
3. Dont suggest songs you wrote yourself
4. Dont flame, only constructive posts are welcome
5. Please dont spam
6. Suggest a song that is adequate to the persons skill level. Dont suggest pagini's 25 caprices to a person just starting to shred
7. It would be nice if you explained how/why the song you suggested uses what the asker has asked for
8. Dont chew the noobs
9. Dont post vague requests with completely subjective answers.

I'll edit more rules in as we go along.

OTHER WHAT SONG THREADS:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=827309 -Acoustic
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=636381 -Electric
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=540804 -Bass
If you want a beginner song, please click one of those links.

I'll start of
I'd like a song that uses a modal phrygian progression. I've been playing for 3 years, and I know an adequate amount of theory. I mostly play jazz and metal

psychodelia 05-25-2008 01:23 AM

*Stickied* for now.

This will hopefully cut back on the number of "what song" threads, provided people use it...

Skullmage4 05-25-2008 03:31 AM

Just found this great thread idea!
I am an intermediate looking for a song that is not too hard and will push my abilities. I can't sweep very well, and my legato technique needs improving. The hardest song I can play is Trivium's Entrance Of The Conflagration. I play metal mainly, as in thrash, hardcore, metalcore, progressive....
So basically I want a song that will push me through to advanced level and maybe improve my legato technique

demonofthenight 05-25-2008 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullmage4
Just found this great thread idea!
I am an intermediate looking for a song that is not too hard and will push my abilities. I can't sweep very well, and my legato technique needs improving. The hardest song I can play is Trivium's Entrance Of The Conflagration. I play metal mainly, as in thrash, hardcore, metalcore, progressive....
So basically I want a song that will push me through to advanced level and maybe improve my legato technique
The trooper (iron maiden) sounds like a good choice. It may be a little too easy for you though. The riffs in it use heaps of legato pull-offs and hammer ons. The solo's pretty easy...

For sweeps, I'll assume you want to start shredding so maybe some Yngwie malmsteen, or maybe some dragonforce? I dont like learning shred solo's so thats the best I can suggest.

EDIT: I'm still waiting for someone to suggest a song in phrygian for me :(...

fila_93 05-25-2008 09:55 AM

I've played for nine months, I'm into heavy/thrash metal like Iron Maiden and Metallica.

I'd like a versatile song with both clean and distortion and a nice guitar interlude wouldn't be wrong. I prefer if the solo is not too hard though. :)

Any suggestions?

demonofthenight 05-25-2008 10:00 AM

For some reason pantera is comming to mind. In most these cases there are millions of songs I could suggest.

Try "hollow" by pantera, it's got a pretty easy intro/verse. I would expect the majority of people who have been playing for 9 months to be able to play it. The verse solo's are also easy, but I cant seem to remember if the heavy solo's are easy. It's mostly just playing arpeggios and powerchords.

If you want something more difficult, try nothing else matters by metallica. Thats a really popular song people like to learn. It does requires a bit of fingerpicking to be played easily, so if your not quite ready for fingerpicking it might not be your best choice.
EDIT: and try one/fade to black. Although these songs are a little harder (IMO) than nothing else matters

I wish I could suggest an Iron maiden song, but at the moment nothing that has a clean to heavy transition comes to mind.

Tompa87 05-25-2008 10:02 AM

If you're into Metallica, I assume you've tried Welcome Home (Sanitarium)? If you haven't, go for it - it has great melodic solos and some heavy riffing aswell.

For some nice thrash riffs, try We Who Are About To Die by Evile - there's a decent tab of it here on UG. No solos included though in the tab, but there's some nice riffs to learn in there. And there's a little clean part right at the start, nothing major though ;).

edit: sorry I didn't see you've been playing for 9 months. Evile might be a bit tough, but definetely take a look at Sanitarium. Pantera suggestion from ^ is a good one aswell.
For an Iron Maiden song, Fear of the Dark perhaps?

fila_93 05-25-2008 10:10 AM

I already can play Fear of the dark and Nothing Else Matters, and a bit of Sanitarium, but I'll take a look at Hollow. :)

demonofthenight 05-25-2008 10:10 AM

^if you like hollow, try cemetery gates. It's a bit more challenging, but IMO its a nicer song. Very similar to hollow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompa87
Fear of the Dark perhaps?
Damn, I wish I said that :( It's almost the perfect song for him/her/trap to learn. Its pretty easy, its got a heavy bit, solo's are melodic and has a guitar interlude...

Maybe brave new world by Iron maiden as well? But that might be pushing it, and I've never looked at the tabs/sheet music to it, it just *sounds* easy.

EDIT: and no ones answered my question yet... 1 fricken song with a chord progression based around phrygian.

metal4all 05-25-2008 10:16 AM

Blood Brothers - Iron Maiden sounds perfect.

Tompa87 05-25-2008 10:23 AM

Haha perhaps you can help me. I'm looking for an intermediate / advanced metal song with melodic lead parts. Like Children of Bodom style leads. Something to improve alternate picking that isn't chugging the low E I guess.

A little bit of sweeping in the song would be great as I'm currently learning to sweep, nothing major but some easy sweep patterns would be awesome :).

I'm looking for something challenging, but no Yngwie style crazy sweeping challenging :p:

demonofthenight 05-25-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompa87
Haha perhaps you can help me. I'm looking for an intermediate / advanced metal song with melodic lead parts. Like Children of Bodom style leads. Something to improve alternate picking that isn't chugging the low E I guess.

A little bit of sweeping in the song would be great as I'm currently learning to sweep, nothing major but some easy sweep patterns would be awesome :).

I'm looking for something challenging, but no Yngwie style crazy sweeping challenging :p:
Hmmm, thats a hard one. Maybe some helloween songs (virtually any of them)? that might be a little too easy for you.

I'd suggest children of bodom songs, but they're generally harder than yngwie songs. Yngwie malmsteen writes what is considered by most as some of the easier shred songs (but its still genious).

And inb4 someone suggests dragonforce :haha

EDIT: and sorry for not suggesting any real songs in this post. I'm really tired. Tomorow I'll do better :(
And should I add that as a rule? No suggesting dragonforce :haha
Double EDIT: still waiting for someone to suggest me a song...

metal4all 05-25-2008 10:57 AM

Bed Of Razors - Children of Bodom

Tompa87 05-25-2008 11:23 AM

That's exactly what I just found! Challenging but fun. The sweeps are killing me so far though. Thanks :D

metal4all 05-25-2008 11:25 AM

Yeah the sweeps are a little hard but with practice you'll get them.

demigod90234 05-25-2008 01:14 PM

Need some artists in the same style as yngwie malmsteen, if you could just reply me a list if them and a few suggested songs for each that'd be awesome.

Skill wise a I'm a lead guitarist who's played for about 10 years. My expertise is more toward Jazz and metal like maiden, priest, motley crue, ozzy osbourne, dio stuff. I can do a decent amount of advanced technical stuff, but I'm looking for more of the neo-classical metal style to see how to best incorporate it in solos and compositions.

bangoodcharlote 05-25-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demigod90234
Need some artists in the same style as yngwie malmsteen, if you could just reply me a list if them and a few suggested songs for each that'd be awesome.
Can you play Yngwie's stuff?

TheVelvetGlove 05-25-2008 04:58 PM

i need serious help. i've been playing like 6 months and i can play stuff like californication ya kno basic stuff. but im looking for a song that is challenging but not impossible. im into Guns N Roses, Jimi Hendrix, RHCP, classic rock modern rock, all that. and i dont have many effects so keep it simple please. thanks

VIRUSDETECTED 05-25-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVelvetGlove
Stuff.

I would recommend "Foxy Lady" by none other than Jimmy Hendrix. It's not too hard of a song.

demigod90234 05-25-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangoodcharlote
Can you play Yngwie's stuff?

Yea a for at least the ones Ive tried to play