UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   80s Rock, Shred & Progressive (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   The Richie Kotzen Thread (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=956771)

RichieKotzen 09-13-2008 12:39 AM

The Richie Kotzen Thread

As Kotzen's No.1 Fanboy I figured Id start a thread! Here is some of by favorite tracks. Sorry I can't get them ALL to you.

-Get up

-Go Faster (some serious funk)

-Snortin Whisky (Pat Travers cover imo better than the original)

-burn it down

Kotzen can shred. He is amazing. If you feel this is a wrong forum for it contact a mod to move it.

MattMac273 09-13-2008 12:42 AM

I love what he did with Poison.
Though, Poison wasn't the same without C.C.

Never listened to him other than that though, so I'll check him out some more.

Grunion 09-13-2008 12:44 AM

Fever Dream is awesome

RichieKotzen 09-15-2008 07:35 PM

So... I take it most UGers only listen to about 5 different guitarists.

Slaytanic1993 09-15-2008 09:51 PM

Hate Posion, but his solo stuff is ridiculously good.

DaFjory 09-15-2008 10:16 PM

^ I'm willing to bet that it might indeed be, once I give it [his discography] a try. Except for that first album, which I wholeheartedly regret buying so blindly... Bleh.

nightraven 09-16-2008 01:18 PM

he's great, i've got quite a number of his albums but there are so many >.<
but i prefer his instrumental to his vocal music.

Eric 666 09-16-2008 03:10 PM

I like the stuff he did with Mr. Big...but it wasn't Paul so....:haha its funny how he's been a replacement all the time and never founded an actual band with mainstream success...just joined a couple.

RichieKotzen 09-17-2008 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 666
I like the stuff he did with Mr. Big...but it wasn't Paul so....:haha its funny how he's been a replacement all the time and never founded an actual band with mainstream success...just joined a couple.

He hasn't needed to though. The man is an amazing musician and could never catch a break with one of his own bands. Its not like he hasn't written songs that couldn't be hits. He is/was better than CC Deville. Im happy he didn't fit their style... Or their women.

Eric 666 09-17-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieKotzen
He hasn't needed to though. The man is an amazing musician and could never catch a break with one of his own bands. Its not like he hasn't written songs that couldn't be hits. He is/was better than CC Deville. Im happy he didn't fit their style... Or their women.

:haha kinda reminds me of Jeff Young when he got kicked out of Megadeth. Well yeah you have a point, I'm just saying its weird, because so many good musicians came out of hair bands and hair acts that produced Top 10 singles in the 80's, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Reb Beach, Billy Sheehan, etc. Again, I'm just saying its weird.

RichieKotzen 09-18-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:
:haha kinda reminds me of Jeff Young when he got kicked out of Megadeth. Well yeah you have a point, I'm just saying its weird, because so many good musicians came out of hair bands and hair acts that produced Top 10 singles in the 80's, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Reb Beach, Billy Sheehan, etc. Again, I'm just saying its weird.

I just don't understand why they aren't as popular as the bands they were with... These guys make some great stuff. And it is by no means out dated.

Eric 666 09-19-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:
I just don't understand why they aren't as popular as the bands they were with... These guys make some great stuff. And it is by no means out dated.

Because when hair metal fell out of fashion so did they, and they weren't considered "cool" by the mainstream, because they were associated with that hair metal image still...most of them still are, that's what happens with famous musicians.

RichieKotzen 09-23-2008 01:15 AM

Quote:
Because when hair metal fell out of fashion so did they, and they weren't considered "cool" by the mainstream, because they were associated with that hair metal image still...most of them still are, that's what happens with famous musicians.

Yeah :/ Id bet Kotzen would still bring in a new girl every night... If not 7.

TheUltimateSin 09-23-2008 02:39 AM

Quote:
So... I take it most UGers only listen to about 5 different guitarists.

That was quite narrow-minded of you. Just because the majority of us don't share your "enthusiasm" for this particular person nor post in the thread for him does NOT mean our own individual tastes are as limited as you like to pretend they are. As a matter of fact, "most UGer's"(by which I only assume you mean the frequenters of this particular forum) have quite a wide range of guitarists they listen to(usually extended to double-digits).

Now don't go being an arrogant fanboy :no:

And before you ask, yes, I have listened to Kotzen. No, I'm not really big on his material. And no, recommending me more material to listen to will not alter my opinion.

:)

funkynektaria 09-23-2008 06:04 AM

Richie Kotzen, Paul Gilbert, Billy Sheehan, and Pat Torpey had a gig at House of Blues playing 30 Days in the hole with Richie on vocal. They share guitar and bass solos. did anyone has the video of this cool show?

RichieKotzen 09-23-2008 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin
That was quite narrow-minded of you. Just because the majority of us don't share your "enthusiasm" for this particular person nor post in the thread for him does NOT mean our own individual tastes are as limited as you like to pretend they are. As a matter of fact, "most UGer's"(by which I only assume you mean the frequenters of this particular forum) have quite a wide range of guitarists they listen to(usually extended to double-digits).

Now don't go being an arrogant fanboy :no:

And before you ask, yes, I have listened to Kotzen. No, I'm not really big on his material. And no, recommending me more material to listen to will not alter my opinion.

:)

I was saying that because it seemed no one even knew who Richie Kotzen was :p

TheUltimateSin 09-24-2008 02:18 AM

Quote:
I was saying that because it seemed no one even knew who Richie Kotzen was :p

Trust me, the majority of us know who he is ;)

Eric 666 09-25-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkynektaria
Richie Kotzen, Paul Gilbert, Billy Sheehan, and Pat Torpey had a gig at House of Blues playing 30 Days in the hole with Richie on vocal. They share guitar and bass solos. did anyone has the video of this cool show?

It would have been a Mr. Big reunion if Eric was there....damn it!! I'd kill to go see a reunion tour from them.

ToalNOOB 02-04-2009 04:16 PM

Love this guy, severely underrated imo.

Jimi-is-god 02-07-2009 07:29 AM

His left hand legato is out of this world!

Love his "newest" album as well (live in Sao Paulo) Check it out http://www.richiekotzen.com/
Its like chris cornell singing and kotzen playing(obviously)

He puts John Mayer to shame!

Here his crazy shred days of the 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeIQ...feature=related