Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Classical-inspired piece in Dmin and Cmin

Another one I made some time ago...

I started fooling around with the Spanish scale, and tried to make it develop into a more melodious sound, ending in a (hopefully) melodic part in Cmin..

I need help with harmonies, so if anyone cares to fix then or pointing them out I would be glad...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Classical-inspired piece.zip (922 Bytes, 651 views)
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Paquijón

I really liked this. But I suggest changing the rhythm up a little in measures 1-17, the melody makes this part of the song sound really nice/interesting but the straight eighth notes kind of dries it up a bit. Good job, 8/10.
Paquijón is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paquijón
I really liked this. But I suggest changing the rhythm up a little in measures 1-17, the melody makes this part of the song sound really nice/interesting but the straight eighth notes kind of dries it up a bit. Good job, 8/10.

Well, that part is open to the players will..
If you want you can held some notes more than wanted, or playing them slower, you know, to give more flexibility and replayability to the piece...
Old 05-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
duncang
Popular British sitcom

I think some of the staccato notes sounded pretty awkward, but that's guitar pro's fault and when performed it'd probably sound good. It's also quite short so it doesn't quite function as its own piece yet, though it would work well as a segue or something of the sort. The only part I didn't like was bars 21 and 22, where the chromaticism just got a bit much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

^Thanks...
I don't know how to continue it, so I may just leave it how it is. You mean as a transition song? Could be, but I have to write other songs first
In bars like 12, 15, etc, Guitar Pro makes it sound weird, like without rhythm, etc. Oh, there aren't supposed to be staccatos in there
I can see the chromatism in 21-22, and others, but as I said, I used the spanish scale a lot...
Old 06-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Ikary

I REALLY like both of your songs. You started to play guitar just a week before me but are so ahead in terms of theory and composition. Are you studying classical music/composition somewhere?

Again, really nice pieces both. I cannot think of any suggestions but I'm seriously looking fordward to see more of your songs.
Ikary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #7
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikary
I REALLY like both of your songs. You started to play guitar just a week before me but are so ahead in terms of theory and composition. Are you studying classical music/composition somewhere?

Again, really nice pieces both. I cannot think of any suggestions but I'm seriously looking fordward to see more of your songs.

Well, thanks
Nah, apart from studying theory in an academi (a small one), I kind of learn another stuff myself, learn some scales, and then improvise...
Old 08-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
Its_Rock77
Anthony Green Fanboy <3

alright.

intro was nice and soothing. some notes weren't really appealing to my ears but that's mainly because I think mostly in strict major/minor tonalities.
the next section was nice with the descending sound. I didn't really like 11 though. I think you should include some higher harmonies with that or add in a melody over those bass notes. I'm not sure.
I really like 15. that was nice and light. Part 2C was cool with the staccatos. some of your harmonies seemed way off though. and I think you should alter some of the notes in 21. once again, in 25 I think you should have some sort of melody over those bass notes. the ending was really nice. and the last strummed chord concluded the piece very well.

just some suggestions I guess. overall, it was a very different, yet very soothing piece. great use of the Spanish Scale and whatever else you used. I think you need to put some shakers in the background though

...You're still disappointing them...
Its_Rock77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Thanks...

I wanted it to sound kind of spanish, but dark also, and phrygian didn't work for me, so I sued 8-tone scale or whatever it is called in most places (even in 2C, maybe that is why the harmonies are "off", because that scale causes some kind of tension)..

I know what you mean about those measures with only bass notes, but it is a one-instrument piece, and high pitches would ruin the voices and melody...

What I don't know is how to make the transition from 26 to 27 flow better, since it sounds so abrupt (and maybe from 20 to 21 too)...

I personally like 21, specially when played, I like some of the dissonance in it. Again, all the piece creates some kind of tension, yet not so much and kind of flows (like taking into considerationbar 18 and 21, totally different), I don't really know, I am not a theory genious on transitions and modulation though

Apart from twitching some notes here and there I don't know what else to do with it, since it is already fit, and changing some stuff would change everything (like adding another instrument, take some chromatism away, etc)....
Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #10
Its_Rock77
Anthony Green Fanboy <3

well, when in doubt keep as is. you've got a good piece here. no need to ruin it by making some changes.

...You're still disappointing them...
Its_Rock77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #11
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka

I loved how this piece flowed as a backing track.

I put it on a huge loop and sat noodling for, like, 30 minutes .
Originally Posted by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Slaytanic1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
one vision
Trolling /sg/

I like it, it's unexpected. Did you structure it in any specific way? Or just a free sort of thing? I'm in the process of writing a Romance in Dmin, I always have trouble with melodic parts. It takes me a long time to get something I'm satisfied with .

New composition, the shit's dope.
SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
one vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Thanks

Well, I knew I wanted to have different parts, each differing from the last one a little, but I didn't have planned the last part or anything, but I knew I wanted a key change somewhere in there....

I never know how I do my songs, like if I want to anylize them, or want to reproduce them, I have no idea. But then I write again, and I have no idea again
Musical amnesia of sorts....
Old 08-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #14
Tig Bitties
UG's Worst Gutarist

i dont feel like typing much but i liked how it sounded. and bars 7-8 sounded alot like the intro to "Legacy" by Iron Maiden
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Tig Bitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #15
one vision
Trolling /sg/

^^Yeah, I can never remember how I wrote parts lol. Usually involves a lot of theoretical analysis .

New composition, the shit's dope.
SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
one vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #16
TheNoManBand
UG's Average User

This is very good and does have a spanish sound to it. My only complaints would be that you keep it rhythmically homogeneous and you really only either have a bassline or melody line playing. You seem to be repeating a similar pattern over and over again and just modulating, which is cool but try to vary up the pattern a bit and not repeat the same rhythm again and again, or do something different everytime. And when I say have a bassline and melody together I mean more of what you did at 18 and less of measure 25. This is just some advice but as the piece is I think its really cool and a neat idea, I like the artifical scale your using, really dark sounding. Great job!

Crit mine? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=930034
TheNoManBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #17
bulletrocks522
Banned

Very nice, I lke bars 18-28. Great use of chromatic tones. Doesnt really sound classical to me though.
10/10
bulletrocks522 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: