Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
b101

Floydy - Progressive Rock/Metal (gp4/5/MIDI)

Ok, so this has taken me at least 4 months to finish, and hopefully it's worth the wait. It's a bit more simplistic (in structure at least) than most of my previous compositions and I like to think of it as Pink Floyd with a Petrucci-esque solo on the end....just not quite that good.

Basically this has stemmed from an exercise in John Petrucci's Wild Stringdom book on how to incorporate non-diatonic chords (the C9 in the intro) into a progression through using Lydian Dominant. So while practicing this I decided to make a song from it (which to me sounds very Pink Floyd-esque).

The intro solo is entirely my own except the first bar - I have included JP's as well (which is obviously far better).

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do, crit for crit as always

Ben

P.S. I owe Madzaa a huge thanks for taking my drum section and improving it massively - any blame with this section is mine and mine alone
Attached Files
File Type: zip floydy.zip (24.5 KB, 128 views)

Floydy

Fin - Progressive Symphonic Metal

"Epic" Metal
b101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
The Grem
Registered abUser

Good lord this is AZ-****ING-MAZING. The solos, the chords, everything, everything was awesome.

Only a few bones to pick.

The chord in the chorus, I don't know what its called but the notes are C# G# D# F#, sounds off. I changed that one chord to a simple c# power chord and changed the next chord to a=2 d=4 g=6. I think it makes the section much more complete and musical, but thats just opinion, change it and see what you think.

Also I didn't really enjoy the drums in a lot of places. Some parts are good but others seem like they are trying too hard. This is a extremely beautiful and exquisite piece and it would benefit from simple but tasteful drumming.

Really artful bands like floyd and opeth have simplistic but tasteful drummers and this takes their music to next level. The drums in the into were great, either change the song so the drums are like this the whole way through or simplify my man.

If you listen to Opeth then I shall make a comparison, right now you have Axenrot behind the kit when really you want Lopez back there.

Overall, dope,dope ****.
The Grem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
cullanrocks
Moonshine

dude this is so effing legit. definitely a floyd vibe. i love it. love the chords in the chorus. love the key change to the bridge. love the solo. you obviously worked very hard on this for four months and it paid off haha.
i would have to agree with the grem about the drums. for the most part they were fine. just make em flow better.

record this for sure.

if you dont mind:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1101885

newest songs:
Dreamy Trip Song

Bluesy Rockish? Song

5/4 Ballad
cullanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: