Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Ailes

"Canaan's Eyes" - (Reggae GP5/4/MID)

wa alaikum, folks!

seems like the cold days are more surely creeping up on us, so I dug out a little sunny Reggae thing I did a while ago. Actually more like a year ago, and it was originally composed as a study piece for a teaching job I held, but don't worry, that just means that it is rather easy to play, not that it is a bland musical exercise (I hope).

Personal disclaimer, I don't really have much exposure to Reggae besides the few Bob Marley vinlys my dear mother used to have in her collection, so besides the "okay it kinda has an offbeat shuffle rhythm"-fact that every guitarist knows, I'm somewhat winging it here and makin' stuff up as I go along. If any reggae-aficionados here want to point out what I can do to make things sound more authentic, please do!

Anyway, as I said this was done as a study piece (still apparent in the fact that I left the fingerings in, for example), so it's not really a 100% effort of serious musical self-expression, to which reggae woudln't probably be my no.1 to-go genre anyway, but - 1) Even yours truly needs a break fron the -nth iteration of x-metal and y-core, and 2) it was a challenging exercise for myself, seeing if I could do a convincing song in an unfamiliar genre, and the fact that it's done for students means you have to limit the difficulties you throw in. I found this "limitation" (of composing pieces for people of beginner skill to learn, so you can't throw in every technique you may know) to be rather good in some ways, as it forces you to make a strong musical statement with just the few things you're allowed to use (compare and contrast with unrestrained noodling). For example the solo, it's -really- basic (not that reggae is known for shred usually anyway) and not really the kind of thing I'd write on my own if I had all devices at my disposal, but if I have to keep in mind students who may have only started out now learning the pentatonic, I need to come up with some lines that are easy but still sound good and engaging. I hope I succeeded, so that's why I'm posting up for you, to get more opinions (than just from people who pay me, so they're biased ^^)

Oy, I even still have my old prepared teaching notes, so if anyone has some trouble playing certain sections I'd be glad to help.

Thanks again for listening (and well, reading), I hope you enjoy the song and have fun playing along.
Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Ailes - Canaan's Eyes.gp5 (96.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: gp4 Ailes - Canaan's Eyes.gp4 (59.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: mid Ailes - Canaan's Eyes.mid (5.9 KB, 41 views)
Ailes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
salamander121
Drummer

That was a good listen even though I thought it more something else with influences of reggae (or perhaps I'm being a bit too elitist in my definition of reggae).

I'm liking the chord progressions you've used, like the verses which sound really upbeat!

I can see why this would be good for beginners to the pentatonic (hell I might even go and try myself ) but I think it sounds pretty good for a beginner's solo.

My solo stuff: Finlay Cable (Soundcloud)
salamander121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: