Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
divinorum69
Construction Manager

Back on the game. Second Build, A strat.

Okay good day,
A little intro, I made a guitar once, and I started a bass guitar. Never finished the bass but I recently started working on it. I currently work at IBM company, and im finishing this year of university, im studying architecture. This year I did not do anything related to guitar build, university took most of my time.

Soo, ive decided im going to quit my job and start making some guitars! so, before i quit ive started a little project. I bought some tools I needed, and im gonna craft a strat guitar.

I haven't decided much yet, so im open to suggestions.
Up to now what I have is little, just the neck idea.

The neck is going to be red cedar with curupay.
Red cedar is very similar to mahogany, work wise. And curupay is a national wood, very nice.

I havent got any ideas on body wood, nor pickguard color. Dont know if im gonna make it with or without pickguard. Have not got any ideas for pickup, dont know if im gonna paint it solid color or leave a natural finish.

Anyways whats a post without some snapshots.

Fretboard

Neck Wood, Cedar.

Had to plane it down and cut some of the sides for space for the headstock

Mach Telecaster Video Test

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
divinorum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
divinorum69
Construction Manager

Pasting it together. Cut & paste

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
Old 11-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
divinorum69
Construction Manager

Started with the routation

Anyways, I command you to:
Give me some ideas for the body, ill probably get wood after tuesday, since I got a big exam tuesday. So I need wood ideas, what color of wood would go nice. Probably ill get a national wood, so its cheaper but there are equivalents to the would you all know. Also give me ideas for colors if you prefer painted guitars.

To all thanks and cheers.

Yours truly,

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
Old 11-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Pickguard-less Strat in dragonburst?

Pretty much this, but pickups/controls of your choosing:

Even if the top is just a veneer.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
JB95
I like taco

That's cool.
Still, don't quit your day job.
JB95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
divinorum69
Construction Manager

MMMM, dragon burst seems nice.... If i can find a veneer ill think ill do that. But it may be hard.
Seems nice really.

And I can still live from my parents a bit, uni is free in my country so I only make revenue currently lol!

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
Old 12-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
divinorum69
Construction Manager

Okay so I bought a bandsaw.

I think that the bandsaw together with the drill press and router are the most important power tools, the other ones, you can get away with without having them

On a second note, I bought some wood. It seems spalted, I do not know what to do with it so I need some Ideas PLEASE!!!

Should I use it as a cap? Or try to make a body out of it???

Anyways moving up ahead, I bought wood for the body, and im not painting it, it is going natural you’ll see why. I went to a lumberyard and I got the only piece of wood they had for a one piece guitar. Red eucalyptus and it is Facking flamed!!!! Only drawback is that it has a knot, but it does not matter, im gonna fill it. Its gorgeous, cost me 50p, that is aproximatly 12,5 dollar.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by divinorum69 : 12-03-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
divinorum69
Construction Manager

And I started to do some work. I roughly cut out the body, in the only way I could because the piece of wood had a bevel from the natural shape of the tree, and I traced a body in the only way it would remain unaltered. It has some knots. But I will do away with them.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by divinorum69 : 12-03-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
divinorum69
Construction Manager

So just a little mock up. The're are all redish woods for this build!! damn.

What do you think? Black pickguard, white pickguard? no pickguard with electronic cavity from behind? Ive already decided that it will be a hardtail strat.

Please give me some opinions on everything that I ask!!! I want them, ideas thoughts comments.

Thank you very much.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
Old 12-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Explorerbuilder

Bad idea using that wood with a GIANT knot man. its most likely going to continue to crack, even if the board is dry.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
divinorum69
Construction Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerbuilder
Bad idea using that wood with a GIANT knot man. its most likely going to continue to crack, even if the board is dry.

The wood is super dry man. Im going to fill it up with titebond, and the top will be filled with epoxy mixed with sawdust. Its gonna be ok, I got a feeling.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
Old 12-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
divinorum69
Construction Manager

Well, im not getting much attention haha. Id really like some opinions on wether to put a pickguard or not.

Anyways some updates. I reduced the thickness of the fretboard with the router. Its not a very clean or precise method. I had to sand a lot. I also slotted the fretboard, and I finished the neck shape with the router.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
Old 12-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
blaaargh

I think a pickguard would be a good idea, as it would cover that knot. However, what color to use depends on what you're doing for the finish. Good work on the neck so far, that fretboard looks really nice!
Wintersiege- experimental doom metal/electro/post-rock
last.fm
blaaargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
divinorum69
Construction Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaaargh
I think a pickguard would be a good idea, as it would cover that knot. However, what color to use depends on what you're doing for the finish. Good work on the neck so far, that fretboard looks really nice!

Yay! One reply!

Im starting to toy with the Idea of having the body stained with an orange tint. And I could possibly put a black pigckuard with black harware. What do you think?

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
Old 12-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
GandalfWh1te
UGs only Gandalf

hmmm i really like a black pick guard with natural finish on a strat. Check out my build in my sig- black pickguard white pickups chrome hardware- Oh and its a hard tail strat too; quite a few similarities ! (I got farkall replies in that thread too ?! UG must hate on strat builds :p )

One more crazy coincidence- I found a piece of red hard wood under the house yesterday, I thought it was a red pine native, so I glued up a body blank. Well it turns out that it is a Gum of some sort (eucalyptus) its destined to become a tele body I'm thinking, but maybe laminated as it'll end up around 35mm after thicknessing.

The grain is quite unique- no flame like you'res but its much redder than mahogany and has nice open pores that are speckled with black bits. Looks real nice, am going to thickness it with my router- then may have some pics if you're interest. It splits quite easily, but dang it looks real pretty
GandalfWh1te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #16
divinorum69
Construction Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfWh1te
hmmm i really like a black pick guard with natural finish on a strat. Check out my build in my sig- black pickguard white pickups chrome hardware- Oh and its a hard tail strat too; quite a few similarities ! (I got farkall replies in that thread too ?! UG must hate on strat builds :p )

One more crazy coincidence- I found a piece of red hard wood under the house yesterday, I thought it was a red pine native, so I glued up a body blank. Well it turns out that it is a Gum of some sort (eucalyptus) its destined to become a tele body I'm thinking, but maybe laminated as it'll end up around 35mm after thicknessing.

The grain is quite unique- no flame like you'res but its much redder than mahogany and has nice open pores that are speckled with black bits. Looks real nice, am going to thickness it with my router- then may have some pics if you're interest. It splits quite easily, but dang it looks real pretty

Ok! Ill check out your build. You´d say it´ll look better with a natural finish with no stain?

Yes please I want some pics of that wood! I think UG prefers tele builds, dunno why.

thanks for the comment.

And btw, In quality terms how do you find removing thickness with a router?

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
Old 12-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
GandalfWh1te
UGs only Gandalf

Well staining does look good with figured wood, its really you're own tastes that should dictate what YOU want it to look like.

I did mine the way I did because I had no other guitar, and kind of rushed it! If I'm unhappy with it later I'll remove hardware and change the finish but I'm happy.... for now.

Just finished thicknessing- I need to build a better jig, I didn't make the rails long enough so half way through I have to move the slab of wood- not ideal it ends up being slightly out- its quite time consuming, and not a fun job. BUT it does work and its cheap.

I rough cut the shape, got a little crack on edge of horn, so its glued and clamped, give me half a hour and I'll get a picture.
GandalfWh1te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
LZRocker
Jesus

Dude, I think it would be badass to just get some crazy colored stain and without any veneer or anything just for that crack, that would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
LZRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #19
ibanez2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinorum69
Im starting to toy with the Idea of having the body stained with an orange tint. And I could possibly put a black pigckuard with black harware. What do you think?

That sounds sweet! and this is lookin amazing man i love the wood you picked for it
Old 12-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #20
FearMyLightning
Banned

Give the guitar a fighter jet paint scheme and cover the pickguard with toggle switches, then build some effects pedals INTO the guitar, so you don't just have a bunch of useless toggle switches. You should make some toggle switches control each pickup individually, so instead of a pickup selector, you can independently turn each pickup on/off.
FearMyLightning is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: