Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
aaron aardvark

2 new songs to review (Will C4C, I promise!) New as of Jan. 26th!!

I just put 2 new alternative songs in my music website: "Feel the Wind" is the one on top and "Frequently" is the next one down. Please tell me how you like these songs and how they can be improved. If you review my music, I will review yours, I promise! No false promises here! Here is the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/def...m?bandID=224436
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
TJ1991
Custom User Title

Feel The Wind is interesting. Vocals and guitar are really good for the style. Musically the drums and bass are good, but I'd like to hear the drums recorded properly, because they're too obviously MIDI, and I think there are a couple of timing issues in places as a result. I like the lead guitar work and am impressed with the lyrics. You have a good voice. Nice effect on the guitar at the end too.

Frequently is far more appealing to me, but that's just a musical taste thing. Cool synth sounds, and the drums work well with the rest of the music. There's not a lot going on in the intro though, maybe add another melody? Emotive vocals, love the layering there as well. All I would say is it's hard to make the lyrics out at times, but maybe that's the point. Really interesting song, I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for female-fronted rock band Viszera.
TJ1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
jmako

Feel the Wind: drums beat comes in driving and ready to go but it does sound very robotic. im not sure what you use but if possible it would probably help to lower the 2nd/3rd kicks in the part where there is three right in a row since if someone was playing that the first one would be the most prominent but then there wouldnt be as much recovery time for the next two so it wouldnt be as prominent a kick. sick bassline coming in now and the drums take their place in the back of the mix and at this point they are fine and just doing their part. the vocals are true to your style ive gotten to know over the course of a few reviews. the cool thing about this is that unlike some of your songs, just about any kind of vocals could work over the music but the way youve done it its like your own signature on the song. i really dig the bassline here and i think thats probably whats giving it the 80s vibe im feeling (at least in part). ill say i was really confused when the song just ended the first time. its quite abrupt, but after going back and listening to it again i see what you did there and i actually think its pretty cool.

Frequently: Just starting it up and im definitely getting a kraftwerk vibe from this one. the part of the vocals where you say "same" in never be the same and subsequent parts with the same little technique help give this song a pretty distinct vibe. by the end i was thinking its almost a bit spooky but that vocal bit gives it a desperate and almost manic feel to it. I would say distant could be another word id use to describe the feel i got from this. I think the effects you typically use on vocals always make them sound a little bit distant, though it doesnt always carry over into changing the whole vibe of the song. coupled with the electronic melodies in this one (especially in the last 30 seconds ago) im definitely feeling a distant / spacey vibe.

thanks for checking out my song and leaving your link, its always a pleasure to review your music
jmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
joe sabbagh
UG's crazy cat man

Feel the wind: Really dig the bassline. It sounds like the guitar should be just a bit heavier during the chorus and the solo. It's been said before, but the drums sound really plain and would sound much better if they were recorded off of real drums. It might just be my personal preference, but I think there's just a tiny bit too much delay/reverb on the vocal track.

Frequently: Enjoyed the synth in this. If you were going for a spacey sound, almost psychedelic, you definitely nailed it. The vocal parts sounded like they were influenced by ozzy. I like that you have more than one vocal track, I think it would sound really cool if you panned them a bit differently.

Good job with the songs man!
HEY BILL, I FOUND SOME ****ING HOMO DOWN HERE. LETS BEAT THE **** OUT OF THE UNNATURAL ******!
Bill: HOLD ON I HAVE TO BLOW MY LOAD ON MY GIRLFRIEND'S FOOT FIRST.
joe sabbagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
ibanezfaz
Ibanez Faz

Both tracks are really good. They have a very unique sound to them. I also feel the drums in Feel the wind could do with a little more work to make them fell a little more human. The drum work in Frequently is much better. All of the fills are really effective. You are really good and adding textual interest with your synth sounds. Always adding new sound to keep the listener interested. I did think the synth solo in Frequently was great but I don't think it suited the song. I thought it was a little too busy. But overall I really enjoyed both tracks.
Good job man!
ibanezfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
nunu
An Ideal Revenge baby!

Feel the wind - Song structure was pretty good and I like your voice. I didn't like the rhythm guitar tone sounded very harsh and thin. I thought drums sounded cool but didn't fit rest of the song, also the effect on your vocals were interesting at first but got to be too much later on.

Frequently - I liked this song alot more. So much so, that I actually played it twice. The synth lead is really cool, adds alot of texture. Also I liked your vocal melody on this. Drums and bass were on point too.

My suggestion is that vocals sound great until 1:22 when it comes back in later, it is a bit hard to understand and too chatoic (1:40-...)

I wish you would keep repeating 1:23 - 1:30. That was easily the catchiest vocal part where you go "(I ove you the hey? or something like that). Would be a great melody in the back to keep singing over.

Thanks for critting my song.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Michael87

I listened to both of your songs and I agree with ibanezfaz your sound is unique, it reminds me of 80's music. As for "Feel the wind", like jmako wrote, drums seems to be a little bit robotic, though after some time it's not so noticeable and eventually they fit the mood of the song, like your voice and style of your singing, so I guess it's ok, but kick is too silent, you should bring it up. I like the bass line and the guitar line reminds me of punk, at some moments, mostly the beginning.

As for "Frequently", it's beginning reminds me of some Nintendo 80's game and I agree with joe sabbagh, your vocal on it sounds like it was influenced Ozzy. I don't know what more I could write, I like it, it's decent song, though I prefer "Feel the wind".

Overall, good work, keep it up and cheers
Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
j1o1s1h1b1

intersting, the music is a little to fake for me, the drums, bass and guitar sound way to over processed and not real to me, vocals are interesting to, very trippy and spaced out. cool, i dig it tho. its different. c4c http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1515659
j1o1s1h1b1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
ronhoward
*enter cliche*

Feel The Wind -
First off, what did you do for the bass? Is it a synth or did you actually play that? I love the tone. I don't think the guitar sits high enough in the mix for my taste. When the drums first came in I didn't really like them, but they do serve well in the mix. Especially for the style it seems you're going for. Pretty good song, keep it up.
Alvarez Electric/Acoustic
Randall RT100
Line 6 DT50 412 Cab
4 String Ibanez SR500L
4 String Peavey Millenium BXP Bass
ronhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
aaron aardvark

TJ1991, jmako, joe sabbagh, ibanezfaz, nunu, Michael87, j1o1s1h1b1, ronhoward,

Thank you for listening & for the comments! The drums in "Frequently" are Superior Drummer 2, that's why they sound better than the Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas drums (driven by an old Alesis sequencer) in "Feel the Wind" (though I occasionally like the processed 80's drum sound). I like Ozzy's vocals, but I wasn't trying to sound like him; I'll take it as a compliment though. I don't think it would enter my mind to attempt to sound like Ozzy unless I was singing a hard rock or metal song. Ron, did you ever live in Tennessee? Maybe a different Ron Howard musician. For "Feel the Wind", it's a real Yamaha RBX260 electric bass, I'm playing it purely with my fingers on that song. That song was recorded on a Roland VS-880 hard disc recorder. There was a factory preset insert effect called CompBass on the electric bass. I know it had compression, but forget if there were other effects (I don't think it had any amp models on that preset; there are no bass amp models on that effects unit).

Last edited by aaron aardvark : 01-29-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
touke

Feel The Wind. I like the intro, pretty cool sounding. The bass also has a nice sound to it. How did you record and EQ bass? The vocals are really, really good for this type of music. Props for that! Nice lead as well. The drums are what I don't like, maybe it's right for this style but I'm personally don't like the sound. Anyway, song is very-well structured and executed.

Frequently. I like that sound it the beginning. Drums sound a bit better in this mix. Nice little melodies going on, but they seem a bit typical or something. Damn, you are really good with vocals and I think that is your best asset. Really keep that up. Thanks for your crits on my work
touke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #12
ronhoward
*enter cliche*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron aardvark
Ron, did you ever live in Tennessee? Maybe a different Ron Howard musician.

Yea, I lived in Greeneville forever. I moved to GA 6 months ago cause of an accident/medical stuff. My real name is Tim, we've probably talked on the buzz or something before.
Alvarez Electric/Acoustic
Randall RT100
Line 6 DT50 412 Cab
4 String Ibanez SR500L
4 String Peavey Millenium BXP Bass
ronhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:38 AM   #13
aaron aardvark

touke,
Thank you for the reviews! You'll have to read my previous post about the bass on "Feel the Wind". On my electric bass tone knob it was maximum during the chorus & -90 degrees from maximum on the verse. The recorder EQ on the bass is +5dB at 1.4 kHz.

ronhoward,
I have never been on the buzz. I'm pretty sure you commented on my music several months (or more) ago on this same forum. For me it's fun to know what location a reviewer is commenting from.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
IommiPage
Mr. Ellen Page

Feel The Wind - Real nice bass line, booming drum sound. The vocals have a really interesting effect on them. The guitar's ok as well. I remember hearing Speak Those Words and Take It All Away. You definitely have a very signature sound. I don't know if it's the shitty laptop speakers, but the vocals sound a little too high in the mix. They kind of drown out the other instruments. However, the vocals are damn good, possibly the best thing here, not to say the rest is bad. Pretty cool song.

Frequently - Nice synth. The drums are very fitting. I love the vocals here. They sound insane. It's like listening to the mind of a shiczo, really cool stuff. Another great song, and thanks for checking mine out

Facebook Bandcamp YouTube Soundcloud ReverbNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobTheMe
We have the modern Casanova here.
IommiPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
CarolBrady33

Feel the Wind :: Oh hello 80s. I don't know if it's echo or what effect you have on the vocals, you can afford to tone it down lightly as Iommipage said, it drowns out the rest of the instruments. Cool effect for the outro. I feel like it's all well played and good emotion in the vocals but it's a weird one - I don't know if it's the type of song you keep on repeat for 50 plays but it's certainly distinct. I'm in two minds about it. Maybe you could throw in a rock solo?

Frequently :: Love the sound of the synth bass. Around 0:55 I began thinking of Daft Punk's Tron soundtrack. Sweet synth solo at 2:27. Drums are well done. Is it possible to mix your vocals to be clearer and as sweet & thick as the synths? Again, another real distinct piece and what I sense you're going for... sounds great. Keep it up my man.
CarolBrady33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
v2a2n2g2
Our Empire is a Grave

In general I quite like the quirkiness of both tunes and the sort of new wave-ish feel your music has. Drums can sound really synthy, which can be good or bad depending on your preferences I suppose. Great textures all over the place to sort of shift the sound a bit and to keep it interesting. Still diggin it man, keep up the good work

Line 6 Spider Valve
Washburn MG-44 w/ Seymour Duncans and Coil Split
Douglas Grendel 725
Digitech RP350

Check out my choons: http:/soundcloud.com/samvang
v2a2n2g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #17
JDawg00100
^ thats me

Location: The seventh layer of hell, next door to Martha Stewart
Feel The Wind - The bass is pretty awesome, that 80's sounding snare is pretty awesome. Overall the song structure is pretty awesome, The vocals are also cool as always. The guitar is a little weird, but it really adds to the whole feel of the song. All in all its really nice

I will review another once I get the time to listen. :P
JDawg00100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #18
ascendancy2

Thanks for the feedback

Feel the Wind - I love the bass line and the overall song structure but sometimes I felt that in some parts where the mixing seemed a bit chaotic. I'd have to echo some of the previous comments in terms of the guitar doesn't sit high enough in the mix for my liking.

Frequently - You have a tendancy to write some good bass lines Loved the synth and the overall feel of this song which makes it better than Feel the Wind in my eyes. Some pretty cool effects going on, and I like your vocal style it has some pretty unique phrasing. I don't usually listen to stuff like this but you put together a good song which kept me interested until the end. Good work
ascendancy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
crisisinheaven

Feel The Wind: I feel like this could use a different vocal line. The one that you're singing right now doesn't feel all that in sync with what the guitars are playing. And it's a shame because the guitars are playing some decent stuff there. The drums and bass could use a little less action, I just feel as though there's far too much going on there. If you kept it a little more simple with the kick drum and the bass line, I feel like the guitar part could stand out a lot more.

Frequently: This track is funky. Looooooove these synth lines you've put down. I'm not sure whether it's an issue of understanding where you're coming from with these vocals, but your recording/singing style is a little bit troubling. I would go as far as to say that it doesn't need that lower octave. The ending synth riff is awesome. You've done fantastic things on this song. A lot better than Feel The Wind.

C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...76#post29039676
crisisinheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
Tuubezzz

Thanks for comment to my topic !

I like this songs catcy feeling. That bassline really gets balls on it. Drums sound so much like machine, so i didint like that. Those vocals isnt in my taste, but that kinda goth music those will be good.
Tuubezzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: