Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #841
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I forgot all about this thread. Hopefully you guys can help me more than the people in EG.

What kind of pickups would be good for industrial/alt metal?

I want to get DiMarzio pickups for my Ibanez RG. It's just a run of the mill RG, HH basswood/maple.

Mainly gonna be playing a lot of Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails with this guitar.

Should I get something like PAF's, or do they generally use higher output stuff?

Amp is a Vypyr Tube. I currently have EMG HZ's in the Ibanez, mostly what I want out of it is something more "lively", not so dull and bleh sounding.

Thanks~

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #842
lefthandedkid
UG's Only Cactuar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350EX
Anyone have experience with the Seymour Duncan Sh-2n?? Planning to put one in the neck of a basswood Ibanez RG.

I heard that it sounds great even for rock/metal and lead tones. Can anyone confirm this??

I haven't used them, but you might check and see if Ola Englund (fearedse on youtube) has done a review on them? However with the SD name on them, they're obviously going to be able to pull off that chug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire ******ant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
lefthandedkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #843
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I forgot all about this thread. Hopefully you guys can help me more than the people in EG.

I want to get DiMarzio pickups for my Ibanez RG. It's just a run of the mill RG, HH basswood/maple.

Mainly gonna be playing a lot of Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails with this guitar.

Should I get something like PAF's, or do they generally use higher output stuff?

Amp is a Vypyr Tube. I currently have EMG HZ's in the Ibanez, mostly what I want out of it is something more "lively", not so dull and bleh sounding.

Thanks~

i haven't extensively played with modeling amps, however regardless of what is said, the EMG HZ's are holding you back. i had them on a Jackson DKMGT. swapped for dual 81's ( ), and really brought the guitar to life. keep in mind that this was in the early 2000's, so a lot of gear can change.

i know some people are going to say pickups wont mater with a digital amp, but i disagree with it, largely due to 311's clips of various effects out front.

my .$02 isn't a complete answer, however i hope i gave something for you to go off from.

also John 5 used d'activators near as my research is.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 02-02-2012 at 05:54 AM.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #844
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I already know firsthand that pickups make a difference with my amp. A big difference, surprisingly I love my amp.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #845
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
I already know firsthand that pickups make a difference with my amp. A big difference, surprisingly I love my amp.

i thought so, but was imagining the line of people ready to drop the hammer on your nuts.

it is a nice amp. if i needed something to throw around i would definitely have one.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 02-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #846
350EX
User

Quote:

Thanks~

Would recommend Tone Zone in the bridge. Have one in my basswood RG. Makes the RG sound a lot less "thin" and can clean up well when using the knobs.

Edit: Also quite versatile IMO when using distortion. Don't expect it to do cleans well.

Last edited by 350EX : 02-03-2012 at 12:19 PM.
350EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #847
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Ibanez 2570ESVL. want it to pair nicely with the 3550MZ i have but yet be different enough to have some flexibility. that has a tone zone and air norton.

for the 2750EVSL edge pro, i was thinking crunchlab and liquifire, i have heard many great things about the combination, however am not sure the liquire sounds different enough for the air norton. i use the neck position a ton for leads, and i like my leads thick and full of mids. i just don't have experiance with the liquifire and would like some thoughts.

the single coil is a Dimarzio IBZ pickup. i don't want to replace it. however would it just be the best to replace the whole harness? then switch it back if i were to sell it down the road. i cannot imagine it bering rare someday, but maybe i should throw a SC in there. what are my options?

again the 3550MZ is set. this is for the 2570EVSL

thanks and

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #848
eds1275

Hey guys, I'm new to this neck of UG, but I was wondering if you could help me out a bit.

I'm looking to upgrade both my PRS Custom 24 from its Vintage Bass/HFS to something with a higher output and my Agile Interceptor 7-string from its horrible EMG stock pickups to something with a bit more bite.

I have a DiMarzio Liquifire/Crunchlab going in my Les Paul and love it, and thought I might buy a set for the PRS as well, but I'm also thinking of getting bare knuckles for it. Definitely want bare knuckles for the Agile.

What would you guys recommend off the top of your head?
eds1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #849
VenomSnake

Hey all,
I've had a 2010 Les Paul 2008 Standard Plus top for about 2 years now, and I've now got a 2011 LP R9 in the mail getting here this week. I'm getting a little sick of the burstbucker pros in the std (a little too modern and shrill sounding for what I'm into now), and now that I'm going to have another LP I'm thinking of putting APH-2s in the std to replace the burstbucker pros. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? How do you guys think the APH-2s compare to the APH-1s? I've also been considering the SH-PG1, anyone have any thoughts on those? I've been trying to try all of these out, but it isn't easy to find them all to play unfortunately.
Other question is, do you think it'll be plausible for me to install the new pups myself? Does it involve soldering in a 2008 standard? I do have some experience soldering, but in a $2500 instrument I might just rather leave it up to the pros.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
VenomSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #850
moscaespaņol
>alabama

On a Les Paul shaped guitar, playing stoner rock, grunge, maybe some blues rock type of stuff, I've already decided on a Duncan SH-1 for the neck, what do you guys think would be good for the bridge? Sh-4 JB? Sh-5 Custom?

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
moscaespaņol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #851
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscaespaņol
On a Les Paul shaped guitar, playing stoner rock, grunge, maybe some blues rock type of stuff, I've already decided on a Duncan SH-1 for the neck, what do you guys think would be good for the bridge? Sh-4 JB? Sh-5 Custom?

I'd personally go with the JB of those 2.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #852
moscaespaņol
>alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I'd personally go with the JB of those 2.

Is there anything else you'd recommend? Those two were just the two I was thinking of.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #853
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Is there anything else you'd recommend? Those two were just the two I was thinking of.

Well, the JB is just a solid pickup for rock and metal. But, it's kind of the "safe" choice for anyone that doesn't have a specific pickup tone in mind. Unless you can be more specific with what tone you'd like, I can't really recommend anything. Also, you amp is going to be the biggest factor in your tone. What amp do you intend to use?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #854
moscaespaņol
>alabama

Something Orange. Maybe one of the Terror series or a Laney Protube.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #855
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Something Orange. Maybe one of the Terror series or a Laney Protube.

I say just find someone that you want to sound like and copy their rig if you can, or search google for the cheaper alternative. I honestly can't say that I have a good suggestion for you. Like I said, the JB is a safe choice, but if you want something with a specific characteristic, you gotta do some searching. Me, I prefer Alnico magnets over ceramic, so that's something I would consider if I were shopping for a pickup.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #856
N1K156
Having difficulties...

Why isn't there any info on SD Blackouts? I hear they're great in mahogany guitars.
N1K156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #857
odinmisawa

So I've got a stock Ibanez AS73 (http://www.ibanez.com/HollowBodyGuitars/model-AS73) and I'd like a bridge pickup that can handle pop-punk like Blink-182, Sum 41, and Green Day but still be able to play worship music and jazz. My amps are usually a Vox AC4tvmini or a Roland JC120. I've looked into the SD Invader and Gibson Dirty Fingers, but I honestly don't know how these will work with the guitar and amp. I have around $100 to spend, but as always, the cheaper it is, the better.

EDIT: I started looking at GFS pickups and I'd like to know which of those would be a good choice for me.

Please and thank you<3

Last edited by odinmisawa : 03-15-2012 at 11:44 PM.
odinmisawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #858
MrBitey

Hi there all,

I'm looking for a single coil-sized bridge humbucker that has rounded ends (as opposed to 'B' shaped ends) (or maybe a single coil with lots of body (ie not too thin sounding). I'm going to stick it in my Gibson Marauder copy as the neck single coil on that is really thin.

I'm looking for a brighht, tight, chunky classic / hard rock rythmn sound (maybe early Malcolm Young-esque). My main guitar is a telecaster with 'Black Dove' P90s and my backup is a Westbury Standard. I love both sounds - the honkyness and mid tones f the Fender and the tight bite of the Westbury's old Dimarzio super distortion.

I'm not rolling in cash so something around the 35 to 40 British punds mark would be great!

cheers

MrB

Any pickup suggestions?
MrBitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #859
TheKraken
Karmic Shift

Epiphone Explorer
Marshall JMP 50
Rock tones, Classic and Modern.
Can't decide between DiMarzio Air Classic and PAF 36th Anniversary for my bridge. Decided on Air Classic in neck.
Is either better than the other?

Air Classic or PAF 36th Anniversary?

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
TheKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #860
Linqua5150
Tube Addict

1-Type (brand and model) of guitar you're upgrading
2-Current pickups the guitar has
3- Current amplifier
4-Desired tone (be specific)
5-Budget

1. Gibson Faded SG(one from years ago when they made them alot better)

2. EMG HZ(yuck)

3.Carvin V3M

4. I want great post rock clean tones, preferably pretty good when coil split, think Alcest, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky etc. For rhythm tones, again think Alcest distortions, Opeth, Cynic, sleepmakeswaves, scale the summit, devin townsend etc, ill be spending the most time in that sort of realm, but would for sure like to do higher gain stuff if i want. i like the bottom end to be tight, and with my amps tubes, its a little less tight than desired so thats a key point i think. for leads, ive been chasing a jazz fusion ish sort of lead tone, like Cynics on Traced in air, those are some of my favorite leads ever, and also in the realm of john petruccis lead tone.

5. 150-300(considering dimarzio and BKP)

ive been recommended the petrucci set in the past, but also breed pickups, for getting that smooth fusion ish tone. any suggestions between the two or to something completely different? i would have bought the petrucci set already but im afraid they may be too high output, but from what im told they arent extreme, and will for sure give me the tight low end i want.
Laney AOR 4x12 w/ Jensen MOD
Jet City JCA2112RC
80's era Arion Stereo Chorus > Ibanez DE-7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.

Linqua5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: