User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #921
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasian
Question...What if I practice for 4 days and then I cant practice for another 2. My friends,job and girlfriend make it pretty tough to practice as much as I would like. So do I do it 21 days in TOTAL? Or just 21 all together? And if I practice for a week straight and then miss 2 days with it have a negative outcome?

I guess not - I'm doing the 21 day challenge right now but I'm going to miss a day or 2, so it's going to be more like the 21 in 25 day challenge.

Also - I'm on day 5 and I don't know the whole tune yet, so I think I may do it until I have practiced the whole thing for 21 days, rather than just the first bit for 21, the second bit for 20, the 3rd for 19 etc.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #922
jdd9874
Banned

haha i can only play the intro to that song.

jdd9874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #923
The_Teleblaster

I think I might try this with I Won't Be Found, by The Tallest Man on Earth. I've been meaning to brush up on my Travis picking.

'06 Fender Standard Telecaster
'99 Fender Standard Stratocaster
'04 Cort MR Custom
Electa Les Paul

Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Peavey Bandit 112

Digitech RP250
The_Teleblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:27 AM   #924
millie&mavis
***ply.me.a.slo.song***

Im so excited to do this i haven't done it since i learned to play Hey There Delilah...but this time im going to practice Officially. missing You and then later True,, i think ill make it my new years resolution !
Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #925
amithkallupalam
PC Gamer!! DIE DIE DIE!

Im gonna start learning the sweet child of mine solo using this technique! IM positive it'll work!
So I have to find a speed at which I can play it perfectly and then decrease 20 from it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
amithkallupalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #926
Loha101

Count me in, I've been playing a year, my most ambitious playing lead wise was the living after midnight solo but Im giving this ago, Im doing the Am I Evil? Full solo at the end

Last edited by Loha101 : 01-21-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Loha101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #927
smartprice

21 Day Challenge

Just a quick question regarding speed picking doing 21 Day Challenge, ive done over a month now and still on 88bpm anyone know when to increase the tempo
smartprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #928
WarriorArtist94

When you feel ready. Simple as that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
WarriorArtist94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #929
knutjob

after 21 days...

you practice 20bpm slower than the fastest you can play it perfectly then re-evaluate.
knutjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #930
Lirtjasksta

Nice Idea... I will try this.. thanks...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #931
Ryan Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by llBlackenedll
I think I'm going to try this for an hour or so a day for the next 21 days. However, that's a lot of time to invest on an experimental technique (although I am confident that it will work). Either way, I want to make sure I get it right so I'm wondering:

Is it best to pick, say, an exercise (such as just doing 3 notes per string alt picking mixolydian), a solo, or an entire song?

I was thinking an exercise because it will generally be directed at a very specific technique, and I *really* want to improve my alternate picking. However, the results it produces will be a little more boring than, say, trying it with a whole solo, as will practicing the one exercise for an hour every day.

Also - is it best to know the song beforehand? Obviously not necessarily know how to play it perfectly, but just to know the notes so that straight away you can start playing it all the way through slowly? Or is it best to pick up something entirely new, reducing the burden of sloppy muscle memory but adding the whole having to actually work out what you're playing into the equation?

If an hour is too much, try half an hour a day. That will still get good results compared to random unstructured practice here and there.
You could do 3 notes per string scale about half the time and a solo the other half. So, 20min/40 min/ or 10min/20min. The scale would be a good warm up. The results in doing the scale to help alt picking might seem boring, but ware transferable to most songs you will play and is highly worth the effort. Doing a song you know might take time to relearn bad muscle memory, but it will also cut down on time because you already know the structure and details of it. Learning something new won't change much because if you already have bad muscle memory it will show up as you learn a new song.

My band website. It's progressive post metal!
My guitar lessons website.

Last edited by Ryan Duke : 01-25-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Ryan Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #932
Calibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by amithkallupalam
Im gonna start learning the sweet child of mine solo using this technique! IM positive it'll work!
So I have to find a speed at which I can play it perfectly and then decrease 20 from it?

Nope, just practise at the speed at which you can play it perfectly. You can slow it down further if you like to iron out any kinks or to work on a better approach (though that would suggest you're not playing it perfectly) but you want to be playing as fast as you can without strain or error.

I've been learning Machine Head's Aesthetics of Hate. I haven't necessarily practised it for 21 days straight, i've done a few days here and few days there, i'm certain if I stuck with it for 3 weeks i'd have it down by now but i'm not very organised or disciplined. The song (according to Guitar Pro) is at 220bpm and i've been playing it at 110. I'm now almost up to 200bpm.

Last edited by Calibos : 01-26-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Calibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #933
MaddMann274
Ridding sanity

Gonna start this 21 day challenge thingey today. I chose 'Technical Difficulties' by Racer X.
Original tempo: 130 BPM
I am playing: 70 BPM

Twitter
Reverbnation
MaddMann274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #934
jkage
keep on, keeping on!!!!!

Working on, Purple Haze
Just started a month ago on the guitar.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #935
Syndromed
French guy

2 questions :

- If the 21 works, this would mean that we progress every 21 days?
- If I take a lick, and I can play it perfectly several times but from time to time I make a mistake? (because I looked outside or I or because I thought of something else) is it bad? it breaks the processus ?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #936
GuitarGuyFTW

I did this with Avenged Sevenfold - Afterlife and It did kinda work.
Can almost play it fast enough without the mistakes now
GuitarGuyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #937
Calibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndromed
2 questions :

- If the 21 works, this would mean that we progress every 21 days?
- If I take a lick, and I can play it perfectly several times but from time to time I make a mistake? (because I looked outside or I or because I thought of something else) is it bad? it breaks the processus ?

- You will progress daily, the 21 days is both the learning process and for refinement. You may be able to play what you were practising after a week or two, but if you stick with it for the full 21 days then you will play it cleaner and faster and with less tension or stress.

- Messing up is fine, you won't "unlearn" if you get it wrong a few times. If you consistently mess up then you're going too fast, the idea is that you can play, at the chosen tempo, perfectly and without error. If, however, your arm gets tired after playing it 50 times or you're distracted and mess up, then that's still ok.
Calibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #938
Syndromed
French guy

I see, thanks for the answer!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #939
TheTaktik

due to the amount of people here I feel kinda forced to join them
gonna play "six" by all that remains
TheTaktik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:55 AM   #940
N1K156
Having difficulties...

I can only play the fade to black intro (the higher part, you know starts on b string 15th fret) at maybe 30bpm...so it would be only 10bpm if I do this challenge...should I try it faster or stick to the 30bpm...maybe 40? I'll be alt-picking it (i've only played with a pick for a week ).
N1K156 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: