User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #1341
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drying out
oh ok. That's interesting really. Same pattern, just changed root notes.

Kind of but not really. What defines the scale and key you're in is the backing and not the solo; you could be using all the notes from Bb-phrygian-dominant-sharp-6 and you'd still be playing in C major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #1342
yM.Samurai
Satch wannabe...

Hey guys, having a left hand technique problem. Worked out the problem - I can't play higher than the 4th string without extreme wrist curvature, and it becomes even worse when I do an extension between my 1st and 4th fingers. It's starting to cause some wrist pain which I'm sure will escalate if I don't do anything about it. Any feedback would be fantastic.

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dt7...eature=youtu.be

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
yM.Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #1343
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yM.Samurai
Hey guys, having a left hand technique problem. Worked out the problem - I can't play higher than the 4th string without extreme wrist curvature, and it becomes even worse when I do an extension between my 1st and 4th fingers. It's starting to cause some wrist pain which I'm sure will escalate if I don't do anything about it. Any feedback would be fantastic.

Here's the link:

Cheers

Can't really see what your hand is doing very well there but have you watched this: It might help, I'm really not sure.

Quote:
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #1344
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

^ watch that vid, raise the guitar a little (foot on your amp for example), tilt the neck up a little more, and point it away from you a little.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #1345
Houssain Xp

i need some exercices at changing chords
i can change , but not to fast.
and good work guys
Old 02-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #1346
Freepower

Enjoy.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #1347
SideshowBob180

Quote:
Originally Posted by yM.Samurai

Here's the link:

Cheers

Probably because your guitar is too low, as Freepower said, but possibly also because your thumb is too diagonal on the neck. I'm not sure if this is indeed the case (can't really see in the video), but if so, try placing your thumb so that it's more straight.
SideshowBob180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #1348
yM.Samurai
Satch wannabe...

Cheers for the advice guys.

Zaphod, sorry about the video. I thought the wrist was captured pretty clearly, but I didn't actually re-watch the video. My fault.

FP - would you advocate resting the guitar on a particular leg? In your posture video you said something along the lines of 'left leg, right leg, it doesn't really matter,' but wouldn't raising the neck suggest the resting of the guitar on your left leg? Sorry for the confusion.

Bob - it wasn't, but thanks anyways ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
yM.Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #1349
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maghett004
Hi !
I want to play guitar. I have guitar but I have not knowledge how to play guitar. I want to learn about this. would you like to suggest me regarding guitar.
chardham yatra

*reported*

Quote:

Old 02-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #1350
punkrock1011

Hey,
I tried this cover, but i still can't make it sound as good as the original and i don't know why
any tips please you guys
punkrock1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #1351
veggielover

Is my fingering and picking technique ok? I am mostly self-taught:

Old 02-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #1352
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Hi,

New to the forum - I've been unable to find beginner friendly guitar forums so I guess UG will do!

Posting here instead of making a thread.
New to the forums and due to this thread made a vid of random playing looking for review on general big flaws in technique. The quality of sound and video is less than great, so is my playing - I am playing average in this clip so it is about my current skill. I've been playing on and off but never put enough effort into playing more than basic riffs and the standard G/C/D/Em pop inferno stuff. I've improved a fair amount recently and so I hope to become better!

Most songs I really want to play, I can only do on 75% speed and that's without the solos

Also looking for song recommendations, the hardest one I can currently play OK-ish is Savior/Rise against. I like most genres and should play something else than metal as well for diversity. But it is what I enjoy. I hope some day to be able to play Hangar 18 and similar

Biggest problem I feel I have is picking accuracy and speed movement with left hand (and coordination left right hand).

Cheers if anyone with experience could take a look. Maybe I do some very basic mistakes. I wonder where to go forward from here. Thanks a ton

fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #1353
Freepower

Some of us are fairly beginner friendly.

The main thing is it looks like you're almost exclusively downstroking, which is a big problem.

The other thing is I think you're fretting far too hard - also, you don't want your fingers to bend back on themselves, like your first finger at 2.16. Fret on your fingertips as close to the metal as possible, and don't use any more force than necessary.

Aside from that, in general you're just a little sloppy, and a little off timing-wise. Not really a big deal, just pay attention and do a little work with the metronome.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #1354
fanapathy
B-Tuned

^Thanks man. Felt like that nailed it pretty hard. I used to practice altpicking Master of Puppets a while ago, then I discovered WTF!... they downpick the whole thing at that BPM?? Maybe that's where it's from

Browsed this forum a little bit, found that technique practice thread with vids. Seems like exactly the stuff I've been looking for a while, most I stumbled upon has been like youtube vids "Alright lets prac triplets. Go to G string on 5-6-7. Find a metronome. Keep doing this for 10 minutes, then go to 789 on E" and uh..well.
Thanks for advice!

Last edited by fanapathy : 02-27-2012 at 08:56 PM.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #1355
ILLaViTaR

Hey Freepower!! I came to you a few months back regarding my technique which you helped me with greatly, and Thank you so much btw!! I've been practising my imperfections and think I've got a lot better! But I still get frustrated and can't keep tension out of my playing for more than say 5 seconds at a time, I need consistent feel. I recorded a video this time and for a shitty camera the quality isnt too bad. it's pretty rough I ran out of ideas after the first couple of seconds lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6tL...eature=youtu.be

I could've practised a lot stricter over those months I guess but it just took the fun out of my playing, Generally I can pick in smaller movements with a lighter touch I was just mucking around in this video. But this is my general skill level I guess, and for 7yrs of playing (rather seriously) I feel I should be much much better.

I notice half way through the video when I go faster/between strings I felt tense then afterwards I was watching my legs move up and down in the video, I know I need to relax but I've tried that and the pick moves/around slips in my hand. Am I playing too hard?? If I play any softer I lose the nice pick clicking sound but it's no where near as choppy sounding. Also I focus on picking a lot moreso than fretting, is it maybe my fret hand creating the gaps between notes? I'm so confused haha. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!! I feel so close to being a confident player there's just some imperfections really limiting that for me!

Last edited by ILLaViTaR : 03-03-2012 at 07:38 AM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #1356
Freepower

Don't worry about how good you are compared to other people, or for how long you've been playing. It's just not productive.

Your first three fingers actually look pretty good, but the pinky is pretty horrible.

Your picking hand looks fine, no obvious problems, just need to keep at it.

I notice you're kinda stuck in one position all vid, are you confident of the notes of the fretboard? How well do you know your scales?

Your timing is a little dodgy, a fun way to improve this is just playing along with records and trying to keep it as tight as possible. The other thing is your vibrato was very fast and based on pulling with the fingers. Good rock vibrato is like a bend - and usually a lot slower and wider.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #1357
esp 4 life
Lester Cool

guys, i was wondering about my picking technique on some aspects of my playing, i dont need a video to show you as it is easily explainable. When playing very fast runs or licks i tend to pick above the fretboard as it is easier to move the pick with less space between string and the body, instead of picking inbetween the pickups. Is this a problem that needs to be remedied or is it a perfectly acceptable way of picking?

Amps:
Marshall JTM 60

Effects:
Vox v847 wah

Cheech out my SoundCloud
http://soundcloud.com/lester-cool
esp 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #1358
Freepower

Why would it be easier there?

It's not a good thing if you can only play there, playing in different places changes the tone of the notes quite a lot. Also, playing quickly there will be difficult because the strings are so loose.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #1359
esp 4 life
Lester Cool

It's not that I can only play there, I can manage pretty much the same speed in any place but it feels way less tight and fluid to play over the fretboard. My pick hitting the fretboard also means that it doesn't go down as far to pick a note.

Amps:
Marshall JTM 60

Effects:
Vox v847 wah

Cheech out my SoundCloud
http://soundcloud.com/lester-cool

Last edited by esp 4 life : 03-13-2012 at 10:12 AM.
esp 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #1360
Freepower

Your pick shouldn't be going down that far, that's your problem. That's significant amount of excess motion.

Rate This Thread: