Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Seb1uk

New Post-Hardcore Idea WIP (c4c)

Just a little something I've started writing today. Obviously not finished yet. c4c

EDIT: Worked on it a bit more, not happy with the transition into bar 79 though, probably gonna change the section after, v4
EDIT: Done more work on it, added strings in the intro, v5
EDIT: Almost at the final section, v6
EDIT: Finished finally, not sure if I'm happy with the transitions to and from the build up at the end, v11
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 rock 247 v2.gp5 (31.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: gp5 rock 247 v4.gp5 (48.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: gp5 rock 247 v5.gp5 (80.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: gp5 rock 247 v7.gp5 (111.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: gp4 rock 247 v11.gp4 (102.4 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by Seb1uk : 02-14-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Seb1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
bassburton
Multi Genre Influenced

Well, this is very good. I really have no nitpicks or any sort of criticism on it, except maybe one thing. During the clean part maybe you could add a melody over top? Also, I'm curious about your naming system. Are there actually 246 compositions that you've come up with before this? Or is it different? Anyhow... I quite enjoyed this, I want to see the finished product. You never cease to impress me.
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
bassburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Seb1uk

Thanks man! I kinda wanted to give room for vocals this time round so I'm trying not to go over the top with guitar melodies.

As for your question, they're not necessarily 246 compositions before this, but 246 ideas. Whenever I come up with something I make a new tab for it, and then maybe I can flesh it out. But in those 246 ideas, most are either just a few bars, or uncompleted songs, I guess only about 40-50 or so are complete songs.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
bassburton
Multi Genre Influenced

Oh, I rarely flesh out/finish anything either. But yeah, no problem man.
For in these moments

Victor Gutierrez
Old 02-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Seb1uk

Did a bit more work on it in the last hour or two, v4
Old 02-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
bassburton
Multi Genre Influenced

I quite like the strings... Also, the triplet riff at thend is quite cool... I like riffs like that, especially when they contain dissonant chords.
For in these moments

Victor Gutierrez
Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Seb1uk

Glad you like it man. I spent a bit more time expanding the triplets riff, I just re-uploaded the new v5, just in case you wanted to have a listen to it.

I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this song to be honest, I need to get to a climax at some point. I've got a feeling it's gonna turn into quite a long song. I'm thinking of coming back to the intro section's chord sequences and making a climax out of that, or whether to just keep going with new material all the way through.

Last edited by Seb1uk : 02-06-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb1uk
Thanks man! I kinda wanted to give room for vocals this time round so I'm trying not to go over the top with guitar melodies.

As for your question, they're not necessarily 246 compositions before this, but 246 ideas. Whenever I come up with something I make a new tab for it, and then maybe I can flesh it out. But in those 246 ideas, most are either just a few bars, or uncompleted songs, I guess only about 40-50 or so are complete songs.
Yeah, I have a more problematic version of that where I have more unfinished songs but no finished work that I'm happy with, other than a few parts of songs. I did originally assume it was meant to be Rock 24/7, but never mind.

On topic, the piece was very good though the strings suggest the work away from post-hardcore (not that that's a bad or good thing). I'm not entirely sure about some of those time sig changes but I think I'd have to hear the song in the context of vocals or recorded. Overall, thumbs up from me. Not much a review but not much more to criticise so if your feeling nice you can take a listen to my song intro:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1516733

Last edited by Emperor's Child : 02-06-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Seb1uk

Thanks man, I'll be happy to crit your piece in a bit, I was just doing my work on my song, almost finished now, v7.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Erra93
erriuyai

I must ask, at bar 142, how do you pick the strings? In like a somewhat sweepy motion?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
Seb1uk

Well I alternate pick that all the way, but I guess a single sweep would be fine too.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
~Flounder~
Trance/Metal Synth player

ARRGGGHH I do love your composing skills. Ok I'll go through it starting at the top:

I really like the intro, although I would personally extend it a bit to draw out the tension. Right now its 2 acoustic motives with 2 different endings, what if you played each acoustic bit twice, with a different ending both times? If that makes any sense.

Enter strings has a great vibe to it, very floaty. The drum work is great here too, with good snare/kick rhythms, fills, and cymbal work. Intro revisited is a good riff too, I like the changes from the original. Kick In through to Chordal pt. 1 is my least favorite part of the piece. I feel like it doesn't really add to the song at all, just a personal preference. Chordal seems more like a transition than anything else.

Chordal 2 is great! I really like the call-and-response type feel to it, the double bass drums are great, and the guitar licks/harmonies are all epic. This riff is like, really cool.

Dark is great too!!! i really like how it takes the original ideas and goes in a different direction with them than the rest of the song. However, the triplets riff sort of does that again. I feel like those two riffs clash as "bridge/outro type riffs" and you should only pick ONE of them to go with for the rest of the song. I think "dark" flows alot better with the song, maybe triplets could be worked in with another piece?

Can't wait to hear v8,9,etc etc. c4c when you get the chance http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1518943
Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
Seb1uk

Thanks man, to be honest I'm not quite sure what you meant in your first paragraph :/ I kinda agree with you on the Kick In to Chordal pt.1 being my least favourite, except I really like the Fast Hi-Hats bit personally.

As for Dark and Triplets, I see what you mean and I'd hope vocals would help make the sections make more sense structure-wise. I just really liked the triplets bit and wanted to get it in there, even though it'd be a better idea to use that material as a basis for another song. But the track's probably gonna end up being like a story I guess.

I just finished it, although I'm not sure whether or not I like the transitions to and from Build-Up at the end. Check it out if you don't mind, it's v11. I'll return crits shortly.

Last edited by Seb1uk : 02-14-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
~Flounder~
Trance/Metal Synth player

Yeah I like how you worked it all in there. The song definitely has that progressive feel to it, so all the riffs tie together nicely.

And about the first paragraph of my crit where I was talking about the intro....I went through and worked it out in guitar pro and it sounded like poo so nevermind ^_^
Old 02-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
Erra93
erriuyai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb1uk
Well I alternate pick that all the way, but I guess a single sweep would be fine too.

Oh, have to say I'm pretty impressed, I probably couldn't pull that off with at least a few months of practise :p

Here's my crit:
Intro - flows really well and keeps you interested, kind of makes me anxious to hear the next fast part
Kick In and Fast Hi-Hats - obligatory guitar melodies that I feel make the song so much more interesting even without vocals!
Chordal pt.1 - as long as Track 2 doesn't get lost in the mix, I think it fits the song very well and the transition to Chordal pt.2 makes sense to me
Chordal pt.2 - super awesome on both guitars, really powerful part
Dark - nice change up of the song, sounds really mellow and works as a great bridge-thing into
Triplets Intro (+ A & B) - kind of an unexpected turn, but I really do enjoy what's going on here
Triplets B Melody - the melody sounds like a solo you would expect from Seb1uk, I sure do love them solos!
Build-Up - definitely works, Track 1's melody doesn't feel all that powerful and then comes
Massive - which is as powerful as you'd expect it to be, I love it when the strings come in, the ambience is wonderful and the outro has a Misery Signals feeling to it

Excited to see what you have in mind vocal-wise!

Btw, I'd love to hear your opinion on my latest piece (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1519539)

PS. Sorry for the god-awful crit, haha
Old 02-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #16
camrawrs
!

Hey so I am very frequently hating the **** out of myself for even coming on here recently because most of it sucks but I mean, god damn dude. This is some good stuff. Wet dream of when I played stuff like this. Congrats. I want to hear this fully recorded or whatever band you play in or something. If you can pull this off live then you win everything.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #17
Seb1uk

Thanks for the kind words guys, especially you camrawrs. Sorry I haven't returned the crit yet Erra, I've been real busy as usual and today I had some spare time so I recorded the song, I know I can't quite mix very well, but it'll do as a rough demo for now, it's called Perceptions on my soundcloud if anyone wanted to listen to it.

But yeah Erra, I'll get round to critting yours Monday probably.

Rate This Thread: