Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #21
Appetite_4_GNR

Maybe if you hit the lottery you would never have to post this question.

http://tomhess.net/PrivateLessons.aspx

apparently membership is full too!
Appetite_4_GNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #22
Marqway

Thanx Guys , I knew somethin was up, Ill stick to Jamplay and i have a personal guitar teacher who i go to every week for 25$

also

pepper brown does lessons, Online? (am big fan of buckethead) if he has a online lesson site link me
Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #23
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Just search his name on youtube. He has a ton of videos, some of which are very long. Im not sure if he does skype lessons (he might do) but Im fairly sure he offers personal correspondence, video critique and stuff (I think he mentioned in one of his videos a tuition programme/method for his advanced students (inc buckethead)) with people who pay on his website. Check out his website to see what the deal is; http://www.pbguitarstudio.com/

He seems like a cool guy - not a bullshitter, brutallty honest and an experienced teacher. He's the type to go for if thats the type of guy that keeps you motivated to practice (you may benefit more from a softer approach with a more forgiving teacher, we all learn best in different ways).

Edit: "$ 60.00 per month
(you get any combination of up to 3 video lessons or real time Skype lessons
Plus - email and telephone help, consultation & support) ..." or "Skype or Vokle online exclusive REAL TIME lessons $ 25/40/60.00 per lesson ..."

Take full advantage of his library of free online lessons before forking over any money, he'll likely just tell you what he tells students on youtube unless you already know all that stuff.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.

Last edited by Hydra150 : 02-19-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
I'm just waiting for Sean to get here.

When I saw it, my first instinct was to hit my forehead groan, and not look at this topic. It made my eyes burn but it wouldn't go away.

So, now with all that said, I could take my lengthly posts and debates with Hessians from the past, and I realize now, quite wisely I think, that I could simply condense my overall summary into 3 words:

"Awww hell no".

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #25
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

I doubt Tom Hess' lessons will benefit you.

Grammar lessons on the other hand....
Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

^ well it'll teach you about marketing scams, but at $1000 per month, you'd be better off just taking everyones word for it.
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #27
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

I sometimes wonder if the world of online lessons is worth anything at all.
Vlasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #28
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasco

Well, I wouldn't write the whole thing off just because of 1 person.
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #29
Matt.Guitar

I actually wouldn't mind a lesson with Tom Hess - I like some of his ideas and he seems professional and knowledgeable. I wouldn't want to play like him or his 'typical' client - that cliche shred thing is old to my ears, but regardless of that, I think he'd be able to help iron out some technique issues etc.

However - I certainly would not pay that kind of money for online lessons!
Matt.Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #30
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

It's a feeling based on a whole lot of online lesson programs. The big thing I hate is that the global competition effect makes people hate on all the different programs without any experience in them.
Vlasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #31
Marshmelllow
Now with Chocolate

tom hess is a self proclaimed virtuoso douche and his methods suck. learn from pebber brown and self teaching. that is all. pebber brown is by far the best guitar teacher online, and probably private too.

unless you actually want to be told 'you aren't ready to master guitar' and nothing else. i know this because my friend singed up to tom hess.
Marshmelllow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #32
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasco

There are good ones - Jamplay is a general site that I would honestly have no qualms about in terms of quality and teaching. I also have to put my own Academy site in the list of good ones. You all know me here, and what I stand for, and I'm not ashamed to say that what I teach is definitely good stuff. But I follow your point about hype - but anywhere there's a buck to be made you'll find someone trying to make it.

The problem is that so many of these sites are built upon the backs of guitarists dreams and hopes. In my opinion, if you have a site, you need to also be offering something that you believe in your heart is of benefit, not just "another hyped" lessons site. The other problem I have with so many methods, is it's more marketing than method. The method usually ends up being a rehash of things that you can find in books or that are already out there in some form. So, this is why some people think that no one should pay for anything when it comes to lessons.

As people here know, what I do is not replicated, and is unique, and that's really the only reason that I have a site. I would not presume to make a site for teaching stuff that others have all over the internet...unless so much of that information (on the internet already) was in a convoluted form, and only then, if my site did a remarkable job at teaching and demystifying it and if my conscience was clear that it was actually helping people.

If other sites were as committed to that, as opposed to marketing and making money, we'd all be better off. At least Jamplay as a money making site does deliver. If anyone here claimed that this site is a bad site, I'd write you off as either stupid or ignorant. It's not. I sound like I work for that site, but you all know I dont, Im just highly opinionated and not afraid to laud a site that does a good and honorable job at teaching.

Mike Dodge's website, Justin Guitar, Jamplay, and my Academy are all good - I also appreciate the Stonedragon site on Zentao, and the Ultimate Guide to Guitar as found here (much much more than the highly touted Crusades, which I find to be marginal and showy at best)

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.

Last edited by Sean0913 : 02-29-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #33
Marqway

thanx guys , Sean

didnt kno if tom could really help or just tryna get money
Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #34
Jose234
Banned

Quote:
I got my Strat signed by Steve Cropper, and would love (and perhaps even pay extra coz I'm a hypocrite) to meet BB King

You know dude that person was so professional when playing his guitars.....

But as of now my the only one idol is STEVE VAI.
Jose234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #35
Metal-pro

If you have the money, why not :v
I think it would be a good choice if you have some special goals.
Metal-pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #36
XXXguitarman

So has anyone actually taken any lessons from Tom Hess? It seems like everyone is bashing them without even knowing what's in them.
XXXguitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #37
SuperWeirdoUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXguitarman
So has anyone actually taken any lessons from Tom Hess? It seems like everyone is bashing them without even knowing what's in them.

I have. The lessons are better than people make it especially if your goal is to improve your technique and your improv, the lessons are mainly aimed towards those aspects. Ear training is also covered pretty well but my main grip is that the lessons weren't personalised at all. I wanted more theory and I was given little, I was given many technical exercice (most of the time of the form of etudes which is good) but my technique was already above other aspects which are needed to become a good musician.

I did send Hess a cover of windows to the soul from Steve Vai I had done and he helped me improve it by improving my vibrato on bends and positioning my hand better while bending (thumb over the neck for more control). He also has a good technique to mute the strings with the thumb from the picking hand.

TL;DR: Lessons are not personalized enough, they still cover most aspects of musicality but do focus a lot on technique since they are mainly aimed at metal.
SuperWeirdoUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #38
Slashiepie
Banged

Pebber fanboy here:

save yourself the money, Pebber Brown has around 500 videos for frigging free about pretty much any topic out there.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #39
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashiepie
Pebber fanboy here:

save yourself the money, Pebber Brown has around 500 videos for frigging free about pretty much any topic out there.

+1,
he is really generous with what he gives away for free, if you were to properly practice and learn what he shows in his vids you would surely become a much better musician.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #40
matj54

I think Tom Hess does a good job marketing but I've also seen some youtube clips of him demonstrating techniques such as thumbmuting, which was very helpful for me. I've read mention of pebber brown, also. My interactions with pebro consisted of "send me a video", download this ebook and start there. Initially I was exicited to work with him, but on his forum he's a big baby....lol. He threw a forum tantrum at someone who was lost in what they were trying to achieve. I referred to him as a red hot chili pebber and, alas, I fell out of his grace. I've compared both teacher's styles of play. SHOW me what you are going to teach me. Hands down Tom Hess is the better guitarist, at least if you're interested in rock and roll. Pebro's approach is to try and make a square peg fit in a round hole by insisting you learn classical style and then use that to try and play rock. If you watch some of his students who also post vids, it doesn't fit. You can tell they're missing something.
matj54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: