Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #21
rapfohl09

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMunkeyy
that looks real nice

Thanks!

Well, I am here to tell you I totally botched the neck. I couldn't get the gluing surface nice and flat, and then when I was working on I just kind of looked at it and said, "It is time to start over."

I am taking a small break and re-gathering my thoughts. This is the second time I have gotten stuck at this stage of a neck build, so I am doing something wrong. I am also thinking I might completely remake a new neck template and go set neck with it. Thankfully I never did a pocket or anything for this neck.

The body is still A-OK! and looking awesome so that is a plus.

Third time is the charm right?
rapfohl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #22
JazzMunkeyy

yep xD third times the charm, its nice that u dont just give up and buy a neck
JazzMunkeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #23
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

Have you tried a power planer for getting the surfaces smooth?
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #24
nowa90
Strike the Earth!

yea, necks are a bitch, it wasn't untill my 4th that I got pretty good results, but is a little .5mm gap on one end because stewmac's boards shrunk a bit in shipping.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #25
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

yeah man, looks pretty nice so far mate.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #26
rapfohl09

And were back! So since I last updated I have:

-Made a new template for the set-neck path I am heading down.
-Gotten a nice new hunk of wood for said neck.
-Am just about back to where I was with the neck.
-Routed the control cavity.
-Drilled the ferrule holes in the back.

The ferrule holes didn't come out perfectly. I found out (after the fact of course) that the drill press that I have always used now has a slight wobble to it . So even though I used the same exact method that I have used on 2 previous bodies with perfect results, these ones are a little off. They certainly aren't bad, just not perfect. I can live with it, but messed up string-through holes is one of my biggest pet-peeves. If they were really bad I would have scrapped it.

So anyways, pictures!

The bodywork that I got done. Not much, but it passed the time while I was figuring neck stuff out.

Not terrible, but not perfect. What do you guys think?

So the really exciting stuff!

The piece on top is some new mahogany, all thicknessed and ready to go. This piece is just amazing, beautiful and machines well. What else can you ask for. I also have enough for a whole other neck...that's what I am talking about.

Rough cut.

Routed to shape, tuner holes drilled. If it looks thick, it is because it is. 1 1/8" thick for a nice set neck.

Beautiful coloring and grain.

Setting my fretboard and pinning it so it is easier at the gluing stage. This is a lot easier to do before the truss rod slot, I recently learned

And one at the 24th fret.

So that is all for now. I have a good feeling about this new neck.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #27
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Nice!

I'll tell you what, if my string-through holes turn out that well I'll be more than happy.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #28
n1ckn1ce
Slight douchebag.

If hadn't told us, I would never have noticed that one ferrule s super-uber-slightly off.

Since when do you fingerpick?

I ran out of picks last night.
n1ckn1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
Boysie8
The best kind of spice

Very sharp, nice work man. I hope you can get those ferrules out again though
Boysie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

This is great

I like the set neck idea. Have you considered using a tenon that goes under the neck pickup?

and how does one go about angling the headstock? Are you simply going to sand the front face and back faces down to the right profile?

I'll keep an eye on this build.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #31
nowa90
Strike the Earth!

the furrules are fine, barely noticable. And it's probably only on the back, which no one really sees. I've had worse turn outs.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #32
rapfohl09

Thank you everyone!

Some answers, maybe not in order, hopefully I remember them all

-The headstock isn't getting angled. I took the easy way out and am just doing this fender style. Call me lazy, but I am taking it one step at a time haha.

-The neck tenon does extend under the neck pickup about an inch. That was basically all I changed from the original neck template. Well that and the neck is a little bit over-sized to account for some sanding that I am sure I will have to do.

-The ferrules do come out, and are really quite loose. It is strange really, I got them from Stewmac, and they said use a 5/16" bit. I did, and they just slip right in and out. I will either set them with a little CA glue, or maybe just let the strings hold them in. Or I guess I could find a set that is a tiny bit bigger, I have a bunch of them at home.

Today I did the truss rod slot, and will post pictures a little bit later. Thanks again, I am glad you guys are liking this.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #33
rapfohl09

As promised. This slot came out really nicely. I switched to the Martin-Style rod that stewmac sells. It is a really nice rod, and the slot is nice because it is just one bit, unlike the other rod I had. The only complaint about this slot is that I made it just smidgeon longer than I wanted it, but that is not really anything to complain about.

Time for a cross roads, this neck is coming out perfectly, so I have finally made it past my brick wall! (I probably shouldn't say anything, keeping my fingers crossed)

Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #34
nowa90
Strike the Earth!

if that top line is where you're nut will end, the truss is in a pretty good position. Pro-tip for thinning you headstock, use a router and start from the tip towards the nut to take off thickness (unless you have a bandsaw/patience to do it by hand)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #35
rapfohl09

That's exactly what I am gonna do. I pretty much use my router as much as I can, I love that machine

Yeah I am not concerned about the slot. I originally had the adjustment nut stick about 1/8" of an inch out past where the nut will be, so it isn't a big deal. I am just glad I remembered that I had to be able to fit a allen wrench in there to adjust it, otherwise I would have stopped it right at the end of the rod
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #36
nowa90
Strike the Earth!

yea, my first few builds were so router-based it was halarious, now its more jigsaw and drill press oriented.

the things we almost do.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #37
rapfohl09

The fretboard is on! In a nerve-wracking moment I glued that sucker on. No turning back now.

What was accomplished today,

First I routed the step down. I had to go 1/16" of an inch thinner than I wanted, because I tried taking way too much off at once and had a piece rip off...Oh well, live and learn. I'll just have to make the headstock thicker on the other side.

Then took it over to the spindle sander and roughed the transition in.

And finished her off by hand. This may sound ridiculous, but this was the first time I had ever shaped wood with my hands. Other than finish sanding and such, I just let the saw/router/etc. do the work in my previous two builds (just bodies). It was really nice. I am looking forward to the carving of the neck and body.

And here is where I left it in the shop. I hope those pins worked!

Last edited by rapfohl09 : 02-23-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #38
Don't Panic Ok?
Clive Dunn

Looking great!

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Don't Panic Ok? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #39
3OddOnes
what does this box do?

Looks awesome, got hard competition in this catagory
All the more reason for me to try harder when i get round to it during the summer.
3OddOnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #40
rapfohl09

Big update time!

This is the results of today's and yesterdays work. I got too into work, so even though I did a lot, there aren't any in progress shots. And the one or two I took aren't even really worth showing.

So I took the neck out of the clamps and bandsawed all the excess stuff. Here she is trimmed up.

And the heel. I also rounded the corners over so it would fit in the route. I would rather round the edges than chisel the pocket corners.

Sorry there isn't a picture of the whole neck, it is kind of a pain to take a picture of it and have it be in focus.

Bridge mounting holes on the body. Finally everything that needs the center line is finished, so I can get sand that top some. It is getting to be kind of a mess with all the work I have done on it.

Neck pocket routed out.

And there she is! This is quite the moment for me. Definitely more exciting when you build the neck too.

However, the pocket isn't perfect. It certainly won't be passing an Ormsby test. Even though the neck fit super snug in the template, something didn't translate when I routed it. It certainly isn't bad, and the glue will fill most of that little gap, but again, this isn't up to the level of my previous work...don't know what that is all about.

Thanks for checking it out.

Rate This Thread: