Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #221
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

The back says Line Out/(head phone symbol) attach a cable that fits from that into a stereo that says "line in" somewhere
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #222
SynWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawk
The back says Line Out/(head phone symbol) attach a cable that fits from that into a stereo that says "line in" somewhere

but would that fix the problem with the sound being too low?
SynWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #223
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Im not sure exactly what is causing it to be low? is it when your playing guitar? have you tried turning up the output on the DAW/POD FARM/whatever your using
Old 02-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #224
SynWilliams

Quote:
Im not sure exactly what is causing it to be low? is it when your playing guitar? have you tried turning up the output on the DAW/POD FARM/whatever your using

i'm pretty sure i did (although i don't know if i have or not)
i actually just plugged in my speakers and tried playing and it's still low volume, but now even if i play from my itunes or something, the sound isn't normal, it's weird now..
Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #225
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynWilliams
i'm pretty sure i did (although i don't know if i have or not)
i actually just plugged in my speakers and tried playing and it's still low volume, but now even if i play from my itunes or something, the sound isn't normal, it's weird now..

can you describe the "weirdness"
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #226
SynWilliams

Quote:
can you describe the "weirdness"

it sounded muffled but now there's no noise at all
Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #227
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Maybe it is defective?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #228
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
I have another question for the metal mixers - noise reduction to make chugs tighter. Ive seen some programs use it at the beginning of the signal chain and i've had people tell me to slap it on the end. Where do you guys sit on this?
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #229
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4twenny
I have another question for the metal mixers - noise reduction to make chugs tighter. Ive seen some programs use it at the beginning of the signal chain and i've had people tell me to slap it on the end. Where do you guys sit on this?

I generally don't use any.

I manually go in and chop it all up. I'll use gates sometimes, but not heavily, otherwise it kills the rest of the song's feel and dynamics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #230
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
^ ive considered that actually. Im guessing thats going to get the most pro sound since its the most time consuming
Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #231
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
^ ive considered that actually. Im guessing thats going to get the most pro sound since its the most time consuming

It's a great fix if you need it, but if you track guiars properly in the first place you're less likely to need it - Matrix is on about tidying up sloppy playing I think, as he's probably had the same experiences as me some of the time where you work with someone and they're not too clean with their material. In terms of chugging etc. I rarely have a problem as I force every guitarist to run through my ISP Decimator (the best noise gate around imo) into the amp and it cuts any noise between staccato chugs. My biggest peeve is guitarists that aren't able to reduce string noise/scrapes as they change position and you can't just gate that out so easily :/

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #232
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Gotcha, really for me its less about timing and moreso just getting a nice tight chug. Im a big pantera fan and i know dimebag used a gate and managed to get an awesome sound. I think most of the uses ive seen are before the sound goes into the amp. I do a lot of fast chugs, a little more thrashy and i hate when the notes bleed together but i still want it to squeal when i pinch it.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #233
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Gotcha, really for me its less about timing and moreso just getting a nice tight chug. Im a big pantera fan and i know dimebag used a gate and managed to get an awesome sound. I think most of the uses ive seen are before the sound goes into the amp. I do a lot of fast chugs, a little more thrashy and i hate when the notes bleed together but i still want it to squeal when i pinch it.

I think the key here is the difference between a guitarist using a gate, and an engineer using a gate. As both, I'm fortunate enough to be comfortable with both areas, so I tend to use the guitarist approach on guitars (i.e hardware noise gate placed ahead of the amp) and rarely use the kind of gating engineers are typified for (which is less about removing signal noiseand feedback, and more about making silence between signals above a threshold level.

Even then guitarists use gates for two main reasons, though often at the same time: to lower the noisefloor of the amp (works best when placed between preamp amd poweramp), and to kill feedback at high gain or volumes so the sound is controlled. Some of the top gates have two-channels so you can place one in front of the amp (for feedback) and one between the pre and poweramp (for noise).

I find all I need on guitars is a noisegate between player and amp and the chugs are made tighter as the noise between them is reduced greatly. I also find that software gates sound very forced on noisy signals (snare is the worst and one I hate gating as it gives the cymbals a pumping sound unless the hi-hat bleed is miraculously low) so I've generally stuck to other methods of noise reduction.

I do cut out areas of desired silence from a track though, but not to the extent of individual chugs... areas of a bar or more in length really and even then I might leave it if the signal is pretty clean and there's other stuff in the mix masking anything in the track.

Edit: basically I'm saying there's a big difference between playing into the gate, and adding a gate after tracking.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

Last edited by DisarmGoliath : 02-24-2012 at 11:12 AM.
DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #234
SicCazee

Yo guys, I just got my Saffire 6 USB audio interface and I received this Bass Station install disc and in order to register it i need to choose which product I'm registering. I find two Bass Station options:
- Bass Station Keyboard
- Bass Station Rack
I have not received any bass station components, that's why I'm not really sure how to proceed. Which one do I have? I merely received a disc of the setup for Bass Station. Is it a function within another program or what?
SicCazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #235
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Been having one of those days mixing again. I'm started to get more frustrated when blending virtual and real instruments. For some reason, I'm having trouble getting a driven guitar to go with Addictive. They overpower each other and everything sounds fake.

I'm really tempted to pass it off to a friend who has no idea what I'm using for a setup to see their opinion. Everything feels fake to me but it may just be me.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #236
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Well, it's been a LOOOOOOOONNNNGGGG time coming, but I just have some tweaks left in the mastering stage of the last three songs we recorded with Now-Here-This!

Why the delay? Slow, arguably glacial pace of writing. Trying to mix in a room ill-suited for mixing. Renovating basement as a remedy towards ill-suited room. ("summer project" lasted well over a bloody year....grrrr.....). New room almost as ill-suited. Research acoustic treatment. Build acoustic treatments. Re-mix the whole thing from the ground up. Decided to re-record a bunch of parts in the process. All the while retaining a standard of "it has to sound at least as good as the first CD, if not better."

The tracks will be available for free download very, very soon. As in, maybe tomorrow. :-D

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #237
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicCazee
Yo guys, I just got my Saffire 6 USB audio interface and I received this Bass Station install disc and in order to register it i need to choose which product I'm registering. I find two Bass Station options:
- Bass Station Keyboard
- Bass Station Rack
I have not received any bass station components, that's why I'm not really sure how to proceed. Which one do I have? I merely received a disc of the setup for Bass Station. Is it a function within another program or what?

The one you want is probably Rack, but it should be able to install both... Just open up the install file again after you install the Rack version and install the Keyboard one. Then, you don't have to choose, you have both

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
Well, it's been a LOOOOOOOONNNNGGGG time coming, but I just have some tweaks left in the mastering stage of the last three songs we recorded with Now-Here-This!

Why the delay? Slow, arguably glacial pace of writing. Trying to mix in a room ill-suited for mixing. Renovating basement as a remedy towards ill-suited room. ("summer project" lasted well over a bloody year....grrrr.....). New room almost as ill-suited. Research acoustic treatment. Build acoustic treatments. Re-mix the whole thing from the ground up. Decided to re-record a bunch of parts in the process. All the while retaining a standard of "it has to sound at least as good as the first CD, if not better."

The tracks will be available for free download very, very soon. As in, maybe tomorrow. :-D

Sweet! Can't wait to hear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #238
Broken-pick

Hi guys, I've a rather obvious question to ask. Do I need to know how to play drums to program MIDI drums? I can't play drums. I'm currently using a Toneport UX2 and Ableton, and I'm very new to recording so I don't quite know much.

Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Broken-pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #239
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

You need an academic knowledge, but not the physical skill to do so.

Mind you, the best programmed drums are those that are programmed by someone who thinks like a drummer. So, the more experience you have on the drums, the better your programming will be.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #240
SicCazee

Hello once more, forums.
I bought my Focusrite Saffire 6 USB and set it up.
My mic input component is a Shure Beta 58A microphone and I record with Ableton Live Lite 8.
First of all as I plug my audio cable from my bass into my Saffire, my bassound vanishes. Yet it still works if I plug it directly from my bass to my computer.
My sound output component is a Labtec Pulse 485 Multimedia Speaker System with two external speakers.
My second problem is, as I try recording vocals, I barely get any recorded sound. It indicates that sound is entering from my mic, but at really low volume. I can raise the gain on the input to get more sound, but then my voice gets really weirdly distorted, yet I would not like to max the settings on my audio interface.
SicCazee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: