Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Poisonouspot

Question I can't write music anymore?

Hey it kind of happened about 3 months ago, I just can't write music,
I use to be able to write loads, but now everything i play sounds uninspired and dull.
Is there any way to get out writers block? Thank
Poisonouspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
User_Name336
I have e coli (see below)

Location: At home I believe... Wait... THIS ISN'T HOME! AHHHHHH!
simply take a break. dont try to writie music. let it happen. stop forcing out songs and let them come out when you get inspired or feel like writing. i also find that listening to new genres, styles or even songs i havent heard in a while helps.

My Youtube channel for covers: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThroughFallenEyes
User_Name336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Take a little break from writing or playing. Or, try playing something else - like a different genre than you are used to. Sounds to me like you're trying to force it. Artistic things such as writing music can't be forced. You have to feel it. So, take a walk in the park, or go for a drive and take your mind off it for awhile. Then sit down and see if something flows. If not, get up and go do something else. It will return.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
risk182
STOMP

Weed.
risk182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
shunks
Super Saiyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by risk182
Weed.

Listen to everything everybody has said so far... except that ^
Old 02-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
MiseryMonster
UG's Contract Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risk182
Weed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunks
Listen to everything everybody has said so far... except that ^

Actually he has a point, smoking definitely increases creative juice flow.

just sayin
Old 02-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #7
Mr.Pink101
Ribbed for her pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiseryMonster
Actually he has a point, smoking definitely increases creative juice flow.

just sayin

No, it has psychoactive effects, induces euphoria and the cannabinoids affect receptors that control memory, thought, concentration, time and depth, and coordinated movement. It does nothing but chemically messes with your brain and alters behavior.

Also, this thread should be in the techniques forum. The S&L is for Lyrics, Poems, Prose and other written pieces to be shared. I'm requesting a move.

Last edited by Mr.Pink101 : 02-19-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Mr.Pink101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
MiseryMonster
UG's Contract Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pink101
No, it has psychoactive effects, induces euphoria and the cannabinoids affect receptors that control memory, thought, concentration, time and depth, and coordinated movement. It does nothing but chemically messes with your brain and alters behavior.

Also, this thread should be in the techniques forum. The S&L is for Lyrics, Poems, Prose and other written pieces to be shared. I'm requesting a move.

idk man, i get into the music more after i smoke a little. my playing may suffer slightly. but at the same time it helps me think and play more creatively when it comes to writing.

oh well, to each his own
Old 02-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
DanielShaw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pink101

In the words of bill Hicks; If you believe drugs have done nothing good for mankind, then go home and burn all your favourite cds and albums. The fact is, a very high percentage of the best musicians, and other creative artists for that matter, use many drugs, weed being the most common.

I'm not promoting it, I don't actually smoke anymore as I started to get parnoid after years of smoking. As with most things, there are positives and negatives.

To the Topic Starter, my advice is "stop thinking and start feeling". Now this advice can be counter pruductive if you start thinking" how can I just feel it ". You really do just have to learn to let go of all expectations of yourself. Don't be hard on yourself, and don't let "rules" or other peoples expectations get in your way either.

Some of the best songs of all time were just 2 chords all the way through, but sometimes us guitar players get caught in this "songs with 2 chords are shit" mentality. Or "Songs that just use barre chords are shit". Drop all these mentalities as they are complete nonsense, and frankly the people who say these things don't write good songs. I can say that as a fact because if they did write good songs then they would understand that it doesn't matter how many chords are in it, or how simple or complex the song id. What does matter is what feelings and emotions are conveyed. Can you make someone tap there foot? Can you make them feel pain, sorrow, can you uplift them? That's what matters.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
jrcsgtpeppers

sounds like were in the same boat. i just so happened to write a new song though. i figured out, write music for you. do what you want to do, define who you are with your music, dont try to sound like anyone else. dont let any outside forces get in the way.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
xbitmetal

Weed might give you some inspiration.. who knows? Anyway I think you shouldn't force yourself to make music. When it's time to make music, you'll know it.
xbitmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Floss Ninja
UG Newbie

Have you ever considered starting with the drums?

I have written several songs by starting with an odd time signature, like 7/8, and then writing a beat, and then riffing to that beat until I have a groove...

If all your stuff starts to sound "samey" then you might just try something a little different.

Write the bass first maybe.
Floss Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
DanielShaw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floss Ninja
Have you ever considered starting with the drums?

I have written several songs by starting with an odd time signature, like 7/8, and then writing a beat, and then riffing to that beat until I have a groove...

If all your stuff starts to sound "samey" then you might just try something a little different.

Write the bass first maybe.

Sage advice.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
Poisonouspot

thanks for the advice
Poisonouspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
LZRocker
Jesus

I dunno about writing, but I know about weed.

While it doesn't make you more creative I don't believe, it definitely breaks those subconscious barriers that "Oh no, that's not how it's supposed to be done" so you fall upon things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
LZRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
conrad burdge

just stop caring.

be confident enough to take healthy breaks.

you'll be better when you start up again.
conrad burdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

I'm in a low myself , but I just don't buy the fact that good writing just comes to you like a dream or something. I think the art mostly comes from the relentless pursuit of the craft. Which means revision after revision after revision. So just write! even if it doesn't make sense write a page of drivel if you have to but write! I believe the same technique applies to writing music also, so play your ass off and listen to new artists. It is nice though when a lyric or guitar lick just seems to come from nowhere but that is a totally unreliable way to do anything. I dunno about you guys but I'm not going to wait on the tooth fairy to bring me my paycheck so why should music be any different?
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
relativity
International Badass

These are all great answers, though I think I can add something!

You may be thinking of it from a certain vantage point (ex: start with guitar). Whenever I take new perspectives, new songs come to me.

Listen to new genres entirely (world music, jazz, prog rock/metal) with the intention of listening to new music.

Oh, and write down most ideas you have, even if you don't like them. You may have gotten in the habit of pushing aside all the "bad" ideas, which has built a mental dam.

Finishing incomplete songs, I found works very well for me, since it opens up more brain space.

Hope this helps.
relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
ron666

Sounds like you have hit a "dry spell." The only way to get out of this is to give it a rest. Do something else for a while. Relax. Then come back in a month or so and try again. Sometimes you have to get away from something in order to recharge. If you keep focusing, then you will simply frustrate yourself.

So take a short break.

ron666
ron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
rocknrollstar
Debaser

I just recovered from a slump. Most people say take a break (and I'm not saying that's wrong) but I get pissed off with that and I start trying everything. I'm talking from to writing drum loops to taking my dictaphone in the bath and just screaming lines (a lot of songs came this way.)

Whilst a break is a good idea, if you were in a band that contractual obligations, you may not have the liberty. I say get a hook of some kind, either lyrical or musical and pound it home. Record it. Listen to it over and over. Also sometimes limits actually help. Try and force yourself to write in a certain key. Finish uncompleted material. I think the worst thing to do is stop. Find your limit, push until it makes you want to give up and end it all, then push even harder.

Just an alternative viewpoint for you.

Last edited by rocknrollstar : 03-26-2012 at 06:17 PM.
rocknrollstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: