Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
stepchildusmc

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III

i am very interested in the Les Paul Ultra III. the built in USB port should allow so many possibilities when plugged into my laptop and an external speaker system.
has anyone here bought/tried it? i would definitely like some input about it.
in theory, utilizing the Ultra III, a laptop, and a good PA system, gigging out with it should eliminate a lot of now un-necessary equipment. you can have multiple effects and a choice of many amps along with looping rythym and so much more.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
hminh87
Justin here!

You still need a good a pre-amp for the sound to be good. The amp simulation softwares available are still quite so-so based on what I tried. Plus you will need to have a good low-latency sound card to eliminate the lags.

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hminh87
You still need a good a pre-amp for the sound to be good. The amp simulation softwares available are still quite so-so based on what I tried. Plus you will need to have a good low-latency sound card to eliminate the lags.

I thought the Guitar Amp 5 or 6 was suppose to be very good.
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hminh87

Its all in the mixing that makes a VST sound great. You can have a Duel Recto as your amp, but its going to sound like shit if you don't know how to mic it.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
hminh87
Justin here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo
I thought the Guitar Amp 5 or 6 was suppose to be very good.

They're good for what they are but don't you expect a full-blown tube amp experience from them.

You should not weight too much on the USB cord on the deciding factor of this guitar. There are USB cable with built-in sound card specially made for guitars which works just as well. With this in mind you should go for a guitar which you feel most comfortable with.

Remember that your computer also has to have a sound card with low input latency or it will give you some lags. Softwares like GuitarAmp or Amplitude makes good use of the audio driver ASIO which requires hardware support from soundcard. ASIO4ALL is a modified software driver that works fine for non ASIO cards. While it cuts lag down significantly compared to DirectInput I still noticed a few ms of delays compared with my soundcard with hardware support for ASIO driver.

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

IMO the DAW's that are the best-sounding are the Overloud TH2 ones. They are fantastic.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
ne14t

Don't bother with using that guitar as a direct interface, like everyone has said it will honestly sound like poo. There are tons of easy and fairly cheap ways to do this especially if your already looking at using VST software, which if you get the good stuff is not bad at all but certainly doesn't match or beat the real deal.

I personally use an ART interface the TubeMP project series with USB, I grabbed it new for $99 and it's basically a standalone sound card for your computer so instead of putting a tremendous load on your PC's sound card which would in turn limit the amount of VST plugins you can use. Using an interface like this allows easy connect-ability to computers and generally they serve multiple functions. The TubeMP is a tube driven MIC pre-amp and a DI box for all sorts of instruments or line-level inputs.

A unit like this combined with a program like Guitar Rig 5 (I use this one) is a pretty powerful little unit, any guitar can be plugged in directly to the back of the unit or you could MIC up a cab, this is the cheapest model so it only has one MIC channel, or if you have an amp with a level out you could do what I mostly use mine for and plug you level input from the amp into this. I use a Tubemeister 5 with my TubeMP connection is a simple XLR from the amp to the TubeMP and then I can crank the gain and master of the TM5 and limit the audible volume of my overall signal at the monitors or headphones for completely silent use.

A bit long winded but yeah good info. The guitar is great otherwise I was really drawn to them because of the nanomag pickup; however after getting a Les Paul I have learned the body style doesn't fit my playing that much, wont sell mine though its a staple tone like a tele that all guitarists should have kicking around.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
stepchildusmc

i dont have crap for equipment so i figured this would be a good start. planning on getting a good electric after xmas. i know quite a bit about acoustics but squat about electrics.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: