Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #10541
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

Re-reading Lord of the Rings. Haven't read it since it was read to me as a child by my dad. Man it's so good. I forgot how much I loved it.

Gridion Newsletter: http://issuu.com/mugc/docs/mugc_new...r_edition_three
jambi_mantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #10542
Dreadnought
Vengeance Weapon

Finished reading The Mission, The Men, and Me by Pete Blaber, and it was fantastic. Very frustratingly accurate
Old 09-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #10543
ehlert99

I just finished "A Dance with Dragons" and think everyone should at least attempt to read the book series "A song of ice and fire" by George RR Martin..

Tv series is amazing also, although it is slowly going away from some book plots.. hope not many though.
ehlert99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #10544
dubstar92
Freetarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuse-a-Cat
Heh, I'm used to really long series. I've read The Wheel of Time...

I'm on Wolves of the Calla atm. I thought I'd get through them a lot quicker since my new flat doesn't have internet yet, but I've ended up spending a lot of time watching Black Books, Yes Minister and Sharpe and so I haven't really sped up on the reading like I expected.

Haha Dark Towers took me forever. Worth it though. Wolves of Calla has an epic climax, I liked that one.

dubstar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #10545
wafflesyrup

Disappointed by the lack of Wheel of Time mentions. While I definitely need to expand into other writings my self, The Wheel Of Time is THE series! Screw all this 'check out how intelligent I am' crap. Robert Jordan truly created, not just a story, but a world with The Wheel of Time. You look forward to the characters not necessarily because of the plot they're involved in, but because they are people who you become familiar with, friend or otherwise.
wafflesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #10546
HalfCock2112

Hello my friends! Hope you all had a good weekend! Does anyone want Obama to turn white?
HalfCock2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #10547
Vitor_vdp
... likes Gentle Giant

Looking for a new book to read. Just finished The Book Thief, which was the best one I've read so far. Before that I read The Lord of the Rings, and though I liked it a lot, it was a bit of a heavy / slow read, so I'd rather avoid something like that for a while (I expect someone will suggest The Hobbit, but I've read it as well).

Other books I've read that I liked include The Other Hand, The Bell Jar, The Kite Runner and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Appreciate any suggestions.

http://soundcloud.com/shardstorm

The sound of harpsichords has never been so eloquently described:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
it's like a really shitty VSTi from 500 years ago

Last edited by Vitor_vdp : 09-24-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Vitor_vdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #10548
Harvey Swick
UGs Token Native American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor_vdp
Looking for a new book to read. Just finished The Book Thief, which was the best one I've read so far. Before that I read The Lord of the Rings, and though I liked it a lot, it was a bit of a heavy / slow read, so I'd rather avoid something like that for a while (I expect someone will suggest The Hobbit, but I've read it as well).

Other books I've read that I liked include The Other Hand, The Bell Jar, The Kite Runner and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Appreciate any suggestions.

try "the thief of always" by Clive barker. it is pegged as a childrens book but i enjoy it every time i read it, it is definitely a light read compared to "the hobbit".

RIP DT
Harvey Swick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #10549
gabcd86
isn't French.

Briefly tried Catcher in the Rye yesterday. Got about twenty pages in and gave up, found the narrator quite irritating. Moved straight onto The Sun Also Rises.

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better

UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #10550
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

I recommend "A Thousand Splendid Suns" to anyone interested in a fresh perspective on Afghanistan of the last 30 years.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #10551
ErikLensherr
blackflag pls

Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi, read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
I kissed a child, just so said child could know what kissing is.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #10552
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
On the third book of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy. Great series.

Guitar Build Fund: $I've lost count / ~$925.00

show
Seref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #10553
Conor360
To Live Is To Die

Just started reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Thoughts/comments on the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Conor360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #10554
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seref
On the third book of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy. Great series.

Yes, my only disappointment was the ending. But I won't give that away. He wrote a Steampunk book that's assumed to be a few hundred years after the end of the trilogy.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #10555
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
Just finished Mistborn, starting Alloy of Law.

The ending was equal parts brilliance and disappointment in my opinion, but I'll forgive it because Brandon Sanderson is a genius. The Hoid character, crossovers from one series into the next, all his original series taking place in the same universe with an interconnected mythology...

A Song of Ice and Fire is still my favorite fantasy series but if Sanderson pulls off his super-series "Cosmere" project then I think it will legitimately be the best bit of fantasy fiction ever made. I wouldn't normally jump all over an author's dick like that, but I get chills at thinking of the way his series are interconnected. Just knowing that [spoilerspoilerspoiler]Demoux and Hoid from Mistborn were in The Way of Kings, on a different world...[/spoilerspoilerspoiler] This guy is going places.

Guitar Build Fund: $I've lost count / ~$925.00

show

Last edited by Seref : 10-09-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Seref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #10556
TooktheAtrain
Banned

I read 'The perks of being a wallflower' (haven't seen the film, don't think I will.) and I have to say I'm a little disappointed.

I tried to like it, but the writing seemed juvenile throughout, and the protagonist cried too much for my liking. Also, it's pretty uneventful. Alone, that would be no criticism at all, because I really enjoyed Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day, and 'An Artist of the Floating World', both fairly uneventful and ponderous.

Maybe I didn't understand it properly. Also, I thought the references to other works were gratuitous, however I'm following them up and might find something interesting, so I'm grateful they're there.

I'm currently reading 'The Trial' for my fiction, and for nonfiction, 'The Invisible Gorilla, and other ways our intuitions deceive us'.

The latter is thoroughly fascinating, detailing how unreliable memories can be, and other perceptual filters we often experience.

The former is Kafka, and no more need be said.

Last edited by TooktheAtrain : 10-09-2012 at 08:12 PM.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #10557
iro-bot31
Jazz Hands

http://www.humblebundle.com/

I don't know if anyone's heard of the Humble Bundle, but they're running a pay-what-you-want promotion for a number of sci-fi/fantasy ebooks. I was wondering if anyone had read any of the works on the list:

Pirate Cinema (Cory Doctorow)
Pump Six and Other Stories (Paolo Bacigalupi)
Zoo City (Lauren Beukes)
Invasion: The Secret World Chronicle (Mercedes Lackey)
Stranger Things Happen (Kelly Link)
Magic for Beginners (Kelly Link)
Old Man's War (John Scalzi)
Signal to Noise (graphic novel) (Neil Gaiman)

The only one I've read is Old Man's War, which I really liked. I enjoyed American Gods so the Gaiman graphic novel intrigues me, and I've wanted to read some Bacigalupi for a while now. Any opinions?
iro-bot31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #10558
steve_muse
Never had this before

Recommend me some SF yo. I've only read The Dispossessed.
steve_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #10559
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw

Currently reading DFW's Broom of the System. It's great.
genghisgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #10560
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

I'm looking for a book of world folk tales. Something with a lot in there spanning the world. Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor360
Just started reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Thoughts/comments on the book?

It is pretty much perfect. I still have some of the little vignettes running through my head constantly. Like the Eric Clipperton one.
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: