Password
Search:

Old 10-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #3161
PonyFan #196150
"UG God"

Yes I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote:
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
FrenchyFungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #3162
PonyFan #914075
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodathton
you can't say something is impossible ,before you get to understand the truth of this world ,this universe,or this dimension,understand who we really are ,where we really come from,the Tao

it's impossible to understand all that, I reject the notion completely!
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #3163
PonyFan #1275556
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodathton
you can't say something is impossible ,before you get to understand the truth of this world ,this universe,or this dimension,understand who we really are ,where we really come from,the Tao

As a primate I disagree, there are a great many things that are impossible.

Slamming a revolving door, for example.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #3164
PonyFan #1745870
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
As a primate I disagree, there are a great many things that are impossible.

Slamming a revolving door, for example.

All revolving doors are horrible, unsightly, and the cause of many head injuries to small children and absent minded adults! They're evil!

There. I just slammed every revolving door in the world.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #3165
PonyFan #327431
Banned

i think all the rising atheism/agnosticism has got something to do with lying to kids about santa claus

i mean there's got to be some connection

Last edited by Arthur Curry : 10-14-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Arthur Curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #3166
PonyFan #196150
"UG God"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Curry
i think all the rising atheism/agnosticism has got something to do with lying to kids about santa claus

Are you suggesting that lying to kids about Santa Claus is a recent thing?

Quote:
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote:
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
FrenchyFungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #3167
PonyFan #589129
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Curry

I think it's more to do with the general cultural acceptence of the scientific method being a better way to aquire knowledge than the reading of ancient mythology.

Any form of deity is, by definition, a mythological being, because the standard definition of 'mythology' is a traditional story, usualy a sacred narrative and usually used to explain how the world or humankind came to be.

As Stephen Roberts once said
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

The reason why a religious person would dismiss other gods is because they consider them as mythological and therefore 'unreal'.

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 10-14-2012 at 07:34 AM.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #3168
PonyFan #914075
See, I Got News for You.

he's joking, guys
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

Quote:
I respect crunk.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #3169
PonyFan #1433012
Please, call me Pig.

Damnit, I hate talking to my Christian parents. Every single time I call, the conversation is going great until it's steered toward their faith. I think they've detected that I am not interested in it, so they've decided to talk about it even more, I guess to save me or something.

Many people here may not deal with christians as delusional as my parents. They believe that they are literally haunted by demons since my sister used to live there(she played with an ouija board at one point, which is apparently a gateway to Hell). They believe that, even though they are both suffering with serious medical conditions and have always had just a little more money than is required to survive, they are blessed by God. They literally have nothing more than someone on welfare, but they are blessed. Isn't that absurd?

And here's the kicker: my father is permanently disabled from debilitating injuries that he suffered over the course of 20+ years from HARD, MANUAL LABOR. He literally worked himself into permanent disability over the course of 20+ years. And somehow the fact that he gets barely enough money to survive from the government means that he's blessed. Never mind the fact that he has a permanent injury that will plague him for the rest of his life, which might actually be short pretty because of a serious heart condition which also plagues him.

Back to the haunting thing, both of them claim to see apparitions. They tell me stories of shadow figures and mysterious reflections in the mirror. They believe spirits talk to them in their sleep. Now, I'm not going to say this stuff is impossible, but it's really hard to take seriously given the complexities of the human mind. They've believed this stuff for many years, and supposedly it was going on when I was living there. The funny thing is that I don't remember anything like that. Their explanation for my lack of spiritual contact? That I am somehow less of a spiritual medium than they are.

Damn this shit drives me nuts. It's like talking to a 5 year old that wants to tell me about Santa Clause. All I can do is humor them. I can't say for sure how they would react if I were to tell them that I'm an atheist, but I'm guessing it would be even more unpleasant for me than it is now, unless I were to cut all ties with them.

This is just a rant, but I am wondering if anyone else has to deal with this? Or if you had to deal with it, what would you do? Not saying I want a solution for my problem, just curious.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #3170
PonyFan #1275556
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Explain to them that the Ouija board was invented, and still is patented, by Hasbro.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #3171
PonyFan #1023983
¬cool

I can't speak on their behalf, but let me try to give you some perspective.

They feel like they're blessed. Remind me why that's a bad thing? I don't currently believe in any God, but I have to admit, I envy those who can feel blessed even when life turns them in a negative direction. I think you're being harsh in that judgement, and should be happy that they're happy, given the situation. Dismissing their beliefs doesn't make you any better.

Now, as for them seeing aparitions, that's a whole new ball park.
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #3172
PonyFan #1433012
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham

They feel like they're blessed. Remind me why that's a bad thing? I don't currently believe in any God, but I have to admit, I envy those who can feel blessed even when life turns them in a negative direction. I think you're being harsh in that judgement, and should be happy that they're happy, given the situation. Dismissing their beliefs doesn't make you any better.

They believe that they are blessed, ie chosen by God to be better than other people, despite not having any actual blessings. The whole concept is ridiculous. It's like when people think their race is better than another race, even though they aren't actually better than anyone. It's delusional and childish, and I'm definitely allowed to have an opinion on such a ridiculous concept. However, I'm not trying to duke it out with them over it, so my objections do not hurt them.
Quote:
Explain to them that the Ouija board was invented, and still is patented, by Hasbro.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #3173
PonyFan #1745870
UG Nerd

Quote:

Oh shit! It really is!

And if ye put thy hand upon the cursed Ouija, then before you, Optimus Prime shall appear, and drag you to the deepest pit of hell!

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #3174
PonyFan #424770
Banned

Are they happy?
devourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #3175
PonyFan #1433012
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devourke
Are they happy?

Yeah.

But there are lots of happy people in the world with twisted views and beliefs. This idea that we can't question someone's flawed belief system if it makes them happy is strange to me.

And before someone else accuses me of being intolerant, you need to understand that their belief(that they are blessed) is basically asserting that they are better than those around them who they feel aren't blessed. And as I already outlined, they are obviously making such bold claims without reason.

If I said "I'm better than my neighbor because God said so", I'd probably be expected to prove why I can make such a ridiculous claim.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #3176
PonyFan #589129
Est. 1966.

Quote:

Agreed completely. Basicaly, they're optimists, 'glass half full' people, they may not be wealthy, they may only have just enough to get by on, but that's still a damn sight more than many people in the world have, I'd say they have every reason to feel blessed.
Quote:

Also agreed.
W4RP1G, you're never gonna change their religious views, and you obviously don't live there anymore so it isn't like you have to put up with it 24/7, just play along on the religion front, better that than falling out with them.

As for the apparitions? Go and see a priest. Seriously.
Don't mention that you're an atheist to him, just tell him what your parents have said and tell him you're concerned about it. He'll more than likely go and have a chat with them and do some blessings upon the house that will put their minds at ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Yeah.
But there are lots of happy people in the world with twisted views and beliefs. This idea that we can't question someone's flawed belief system if it makes them happy is strange to me.

Exactly how flawed is a belief that makes someone happy?
My own sister is VERY religious, but she's had more than her fair share of disaster, her first child was born very premature and sadly didn't survive very long, but I'll tell you what... I was DAMN glad she had her religion at the time because I'm pretty sure that's what got her through it.
Quote:
And before someone else accuses me of being intolerant, you need to understand that their belief(that they are blessed) is basically asserting that they are better than those around them who they feel aren't blessed. And as I already outlined, they are obviously making such bold claims without reason.

If I said "I'm better than my neighbor because God said so", I'd probably be expected to prove why I can make such a ridiculous claim.

The next time they assert that they are 'better than those around them who they feel aren't blessed', just quote Jesus to them.

'To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." ' (Luke 18:9-14)

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 10-15-2012 at 04:39 AM.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #3177
PonyFan #424770
Banned

Quote:
Yeah.

If they're blessed with happiness then they're already better off than a lot of people in this world.
devourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #3178
PonyFan #327431
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchyFungus
Are you suggesting that lying to kids about Santa Claus is a recent thing?

yeah i mean in the context of human history, and of christian history for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk
he's joking, guys

not joking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker Babbath
I think it's more to do with the general cultural acceptence of the scientific method being a better way to aquire knowledge than the reading of ancient mythology.

if our culture is so accepting of scientific method, why is it traditional to deceive young people?
Arthur Curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #3179
PonyFan #914075
See, I Got News for You.

you are too joking!
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

Quote:
I respect crunk.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #3180
PonyFan #472211
Larmarky Remark

Anyone see this little vid:

The basic idea is that religion has positive aspects of it that aren't inherently religious, they're just ideas that gain the most traction with people because of religion. An example he gives is that the sermon, a once a week speech on some aspect of life and how to better ourselves, is not something that the secular world really does.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: