Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
jdenmo

Arrow Time Distortion - psychedelic/progressive experimental rock - Pink Floyd/King Crimson

UPDATE 07/11/12: VERSION 2:
update:
version 2:

re-did drums, added a tremola intro, solo, and fixed the ending

the guitar levels were way to high so i lowered them and chopped some shit up. i still have to re-do the drums during the solo, find a way to lower the distortion a bit and re-record the solo (or just make a new solo altogether) because the ending where it transitions from the bridge to the ending is a mess

adding bass sometime next week when i buy an ibanez sg off my buddy. feedbacks appreciated

Haven't recorded that much the last few months because ive been busy and my recording equipment is pretty shit so it kills my motivation to try recording anything. mostly alternative /blues/hard rock/psychedelic I record using my iphone 4 voice memo

Equipment:

15 Watt Peavey VYPYR

2004 Red Fender Stratocaster

I didn't finish the ending so i just let it fade out cause this is just a rough version

im buying an ibanez sg bass soon so ill be able to add bass tracks. looking for a better mic setup at the moment

anyways, i know the distortion is really heavy and its quite offbeat but it was hard for me to adjust the timing cause i recorded it in only a few takes and havent added any overdubs yet. this is only half the song, im gonna see the feedback i get on it before i add the rest because im not recording much until i get proper equipment

heres my last song:

thanks! will c4c

Last edited by jdenmo : 11-08-2012 at 10:55 PM.
jdenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

Hey bud,

I'm going to have to critique this from a compositional standpoint because I don't have that much experience with recording using microphones. Like I said before, I do all my stuff direct input to my computer and program the drums with superior drummer. I can let you know that the guitar is too loud in the mix; it completely overpowers the drums and it's clipping a little bit, so I would turn down the gain on your mic or pull the mic away from the amp a bit.

As far as the composition goes, you've got a good skeleton here. I like the progression the song opens with, the harmonies remind me of earlier Radiohead, like The Bends-era Radiohead. Something like "My Iron Lung". This song needs to be fleshed out though man. The rhythm guitar and the drums aren't enough to hold my attention. I know you haven't done the overdubs yet but there's plenty of room for some spacy, trippy guitar over that and the harmonies you have chosen do imply trippy, effects-laden leads.

As far as the drums go, from what I could hear, they were a bit sparse and I only recall hearing a few parts of the kit. I can't play drums at all and as far as composing goes, drums are probably my weakest point, so I probably can't help you much here.

As far as bridge blues goes, I liked that a lot more. The guitar kept my interest a lot more and the drumming was a lot better on that one. I do feel like you could have transitioned into that bit at 1:06 a little more smoothly though. Other than that, good.
STONESHAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Marqway

as far as recording goes I've only just recently started recording though a software program so i could only tell you little

if your looking for Equipment. Save up is all I could say maybe get you a 20-30watt to start out man unless your looking for something more. an amp with reverb would help your sound I think n I hear tube amps are good.

as far as your playing man , you have good rhythm n with the song I can picture it in my head what your playing reminds me of Jack white alittle

anyway Stone made some good pointers, For your Volume I would try to find that balance with guitar,bass,drums etc. I myself have had trouble with this in the past but if you could like the guitar could set the tone of the volume , bass maybe abit lower (when u do get a bass) and drums maybe right up there with guitar and yea I would turn down the gain on that thing abit

your drums i cant comment on ur doing better then me with that , I have a little Zune Foot pedal that i mostly use for its drum machine, but when recording through my Sonar LE software its kind of useless cuz i've found that I can only record it over an amp and even then it sounds horrible so I have to find something that works. but yea uhm just save up man no worries. this may or not be "good news" but Black friday is right around the corner

Last edited by Marqway : 10-24-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Marqway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
jdenmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONESHAKER
Hey bud,

I'm going to have to critique this from a compositional standpoint because I don't have that much experience with recording using microphones. Like I said before, I do all my stuff direct input to my computer and program the drums with superior drummer. I can let you know that the guitar is too loud in the mix; it completely overpowers the drums and it's clipping a little bit, so I would turn down the gain on your mic or pull the mic away from the amp a bit.

As far as the composition goes, you've got a good skeleton here. I like the progression the song opens with, the harmonies remind me of earlier Radiohead, like The Bends-era Radiohead. Something like "My Iron Lung". This song needs to be fleshed out though man. The rhythm guitar and the drums aren't enough to hold my attention. I know you haven't done the overdubs yet but there's plenty of room for some spacy, trippy guitar over that and the harmonies you have chosen do imply trippy, effects-laden leads.

As far as the drums go, from what I could hear, they were a bit sparse and I only recall hearing a few parts of the kit. I can't play drums at all and as far as composing goes, drums are probably my weakest point, so I probably can't help you much here.

As far as bridge blues goes, I liked that a lot more. The guitar kept my interest a lot more and the drumming was a lot better on that one. I do feel like you could have transitioned into that bit at 1:06 a little more smoothly though. Other than that, good.

thanks man. this is the detailed response i was looking for, constructive criticism at its best. i record with an iphone 4 which is alot better then the standard $25 gaming mic i have, and when i recorded this i actually did put the mic right next to the amp instead of spacing it out, because it felt like the closer it was to me i could hear my pick plucking the strings on chords .etc like an acoustic and i didnt want that sound.

i did have part of a lead finished but i didnt attempt to overdub it just because i know that im severely limited as far as producing songs goes. aside from the mic, i dont have a drumset, i use drums in fruityloops and im very poor at using the program. i spent much more time on bridge blues as far as the editing and drumming goes. on this one i rushed it but it was alot different and the rhythm was all over the place.

im hoping to get a $99ish Shure SM57 soon to improve my recording sound durastically, and then maybe an amp for the ibanez sg2 im buying for $75. for now im just going to try plugging it in to my old crate amp (dont really care if it blows up) at very low levels for recording. as far as drumming goes, i really want to get a solid drum set but i just cant afford it right now. the highest my budget could be for one is probably 300 - 400 tops on a used one on kijiji (canadas ebay) because i think programming drumming really takes away from the heavy, raw sound i want (led zeppelin, tame impala, the who, .etc)

i didnt even realize i was using so little of the kit, thats how oblivious i am to drums haha but i know if i had a set i would rip it easy.

so basically

- put mic in better places than right next to amp
- tone down guitar levels, increase drum levels
- add a lead guitar & overdubs to make up for poor production
- better transitions; use more of the drum kit (or just get drumkit)
- add bass

good points, i appreciate the honesty. and yeah the transition on bridge blues is kindve ****ed because after i recorded the part it was a bit out of rhythm with the rest of the song and i never bothered re-recording it to fit. instead i overdubbed it alot with acoustic powerchords and lead (which made it a mess)

thanks though man

also, i knew i recognized that sound, i just couldnt remember where from. it definitely does sound like the bends/iron lung/just .etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqway
as far as recording goes I've only just recently started recording though a software program so i could only tell you little

if your looking for Equipment. Save up is all I could say maybe get you a 20-30watt to start out man unless your looking for something more. an amp with reverb would help your sound I think n I hear tube amps are good.

as far as your playing man , you have good rhythm n with the song I can picture it in my head what your playing reminds me of Jack white alittle

anyway Stone made some good pointers, For your Volume I would try to find that balance with guitar,bass,drums etc. I myself have had trouble with this in the past but if you could like the guitar could set the tone of the volume , bass maybe abit lower (when u do get a bass) and drums maybe right up there with guitar and yea I would turn down the gain on that thing abit

your drums i cant comment on ur doing better then me with that , I have a little Zune Foot pedal that i mostly use for its drum machine, but when recording through my Sonar LE software its kind of useless cuz i've found that I can only record it over an amp and even then it sounds horrible so I have to find something that works. but yea uhm just save up man no worries. this may or not be "good news" but Black friday is right around the corner

true man thanks for the advice. i do kindve riff like jack white, except im not a fan of his vocals in alot of his newer songs haha but i do only use 2 instruments like the white stripes, drums and guitar (which im gonna change hopefully soon)

im satisfied with the guitar amp i have now because i got it for a reallllly good deal, its worth like $160 and i got it for $40 brand new. im looking for a solid bass amp and drum set though. i use sound clips from FL 10 which is really difficult but id recommend looking into that because once you know how to use the program i assume its really easy and theres lots you can do. i prefer real drums but like you i dont have any so i just do what i gotta haha
Old 10-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
TUXGUITAR
TUXGUITAR

you definitely got some nice ideas. the recording could use some work but like you said you're working on it so thats great! guitar wise it's nice, the only thin i can see quick improvements on is your timing with your solos. Other than that keep practicing dude! you sound good now, you'll sound great in a while

perfect practice makes perfect man.
TUXGUITAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
zymn

Hmm I heard a few hiccups but overall you've got a nice thing going here. They sound a bit like the same thing over and over though. Might want to change it up while playing some. (:
zymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
jdenmo

thanks man im working on that right now. i have completely re-done most of the drums and added drum solos, drumfills and different beats. i also added a new intro, and am gonna record overdubs and the final riffs for the ending soon, then hopefully add bass some time this week
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
jdenmo

update:
version 2:

re-did drums, added a tremola intro, solo, and fixed the ending.

the guitar levels were way to high so i lowered them and chopped some shit up. i still have to re-do the drums during the solo, find a way to lower the distortion a bit and re-record the solo (or just make a new solo altogether) because the ending where it transitions from the bridge to the ending is a mess

adding bass sometime next week when i buy an ibanez sg off my buddy. feedbacks appreciated
Old 11-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
aaron aardvark

jdenmo,
I'm listening to the top song. I like some of the riffs, though the guitar playing could be tighter at times. Sometimes the drum beats are working well, and other times not as well. Keep at it. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1571779
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
Michael87

I wrote my comment and then I read you use iphone 4 for recording, so my advice won't be useful until you'll get some proper equipment, but I leave it like this and I hope it will help you some day in the future

I listened to "Time distortion" and "Bridge blues". Generally you've got nice ideas, but the drums need work, they lacking a lot. You could use some bass there too. The guitar tone is not bad, but I'd recommend to EQ guitar track better. I guess you could cut everything to 250 Hz (or less, start from 250 and then check lower values). You could also cut a bit at 800 Hz, it helped me a lot to get better sound and check these:

http://www.kvglabs.com/kermit/PDF/EQit.pdf

http://therecordingrevolution.com/2...r-mixes-better/

Those things helped me a lot too. Cutting everything from 12 kHz (or higher, or lesser) can be helpful too.

I would also recommend (if you don't want to record the second rhythm guitar track) to copy and past the track you've already got, then pan one on the left (something like 75-80%) and the second one the same way on the right (though you have to set 13 ms delay, so they wouldn't interfere with each other, I don't mean delay as an echo effect only that second track should start 13 ms later than the first one).

All in all keep playing
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
jdenmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael87
I wrote my comment and then I read you use iphone 4 for recording, so my advice won't be useful until you'll get some proper equipment, but I leave it like this and I hope it will help you some day in the future

I listened to "Time distortion" and "Bridge blues". Generally you've got nice ideas, but the drums need work, they lacking a lot. You could use some bass there too. The guitar tone is not bad, but I'd recommend to EQ guitar track better. I guess you could cut everything to 250 Hz (or less, start from 250 and then check lower values). You could also cut a bit at 800 Hz, it helped me a lot to get better sound and check these:

http://www.kvglabs.com/kermit/PDF/EQit.pdf

http://therecordingrevolution.com/2...r-mixes-better/

Those things helped me a lot too. Cutting everything from 12 kHz (or higher, or lesser) can be helpful too.

I would also recommend (if you don't want to record the second rhythm guitar track) to copy and past the track you've already got, then pan one on the left (something like 75-80%) and the second one the same way on the right (though you have to set 13 ms delay, so they wouldn't interfere with each other, I don't mean delay as an echo effect only that second track should start 13 ms later than the first one).

All in all keep playing

bit late in replying, but how does one paste one guitar track on the left? can you do this in FL studio 10 or sony vegas 9?

Rate This Thread: