Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
NelsonSFS

C4C- Post-Hardcore/Metalcore original from my band

Hey guys my band just released our pre prod demo of our song The Epiphany
check it out and tell me what you think!
We are a Metalcore/post-hardcore band from North NJ fresh on to the scene, our influences range from A Day To Remember to Of Mice & Men, The Devil Wears Prada, etc.
Go check out our facebook for updates, new music and more!

Our Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/SearchingforSolaceOfficial
Edit: ive been tweaking around and practicing my mixing heres a more recent clip any critic is greatly appreciated
https://soundcloud.com/nelson-marti...solace-queen-of
heres one with vocals
https://soundcloud.com/nelson-marti...or-solace-queen

Last edited by NelsonSFS : 01-10-2013 at 01:35 AM.
NelsonSFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
MaXiMuse
Has an X in his name

I don't listen to this style so I'm just going to give my opinion on how it sounds. And the electronic intro sounds good, big sounds and good use of the bit crusher.

If I'm honest I think the guitars in the intro are really not tight. It should be regular 16ths right? I think the rhythm guitar is rushing too much, the same goes for around 1:30. I also think the electronic break is really strange, I don't really get why it's there.

And are the drums programmed? Because they sound like it.

This is an electronic track I made, influenced by Trentemøller and Meshuggah
If you want C4C just give me a message!
MaXiMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
NelsonSFS

hey thanks for the honest critic. the guitars in retrospect are a bit off but then again its pre prod but i will take that into consideration when we re record. as for the electronic break, a transition was needed and I felt like i wanted to keep the electronic feel to the song, some dig it some don't its cool, and lastly the drums are programmed, i know its obvious lol ive gotten better at it since then, with fills and making it sound more organic, but thanks again i really appreciate your input,
Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
freighttrain
freighttrain

I can never figure what what any of the subgenres are so don't know if I listen to that style of music haha.

The intro sounded ok and was well done until the guitars came in, everytime the guitars are playing different parts over eachother they sound completely out of time.

I don't like that kind of vocal style at all so cannot comment on it.

The electro bit in the middle is out of place, it doesn't fit at all.

The drums sound programmed as MaXiMuse said.

The guitars sound out of key a lot as well.

I think with a bit of work and take on board the criticisms you have will receive and this could be reworked a little bit and will sound a lot better. Also make sure the guitarists practice this together a lot with a metronome to get it very tight.

My stuff is http://soundcloud.com/eddiechance.
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
freighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
crzywhiteboy
Too Cool To Post

I actually like that electro beat thing. But year what they ^^ said about the guitars.
crzywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
NelsonSFS

thanks im new to mixing and recording, so any input is greatly appreciated. I checked ur stuff Freightttrain and i must say even tho its not my usual music, i can dig it. i like the second track a lot more it seems to have more flow and interesting segments. the first track i feel it drags on a bit and is missing something either vox or some leads, but good work man keep it up!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
Tster
is totally awesome

Defiantly could be looked over - you're really not treading on any new ground though. Sorry for the crappy crit, in a bit of a rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Tster is AWESOME
♪♪
Tster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #8
freighttrain
freighttrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonSFS
I checked ur stuff Freightttrain and i must say even tho its not my usual music, i can dig it. i like the second track a lot more it seems to have more flow and interesting segments. the first track i feel it drags on a bit and is missing something either vox or some leads, but good work man keep it up!

Thanks. I agree the first track is missing something and it's definitely the vocals as I have the lyrics written but no singer and I can't sing lol.

The biggest issue with your track is the guitars in my opinion. Did you record the guitars at the same time or seperate? If you record each guitar seperate it will be easier to line then up so they are in time with each other, but the guitarists still need a lot of practice to get it as tight as possible.
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
freighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
TheBigProjekt

Just listened, and it's your pretty typical metalcore song, nothing too groundbreaking. I think I'd enjoy it more if the screams were a bit lower, the higher mid kind of sound feels a little forced I think? The song itself isn't bad, but I feel like a different scream (and real drums!) would make it sound a bit more enticing.
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

TheBigProjekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
timcrow420

Seems like most people on here who reply on peoples home records expect things to come out as million dollar studios, I for one thing it sounds great, its not the type of music I really listen to, some of the drums sound drowned out at times and the bass doesnt always come through, but all in all Id say its good enough to get people listening, since most people only listen to music and dont analyze it! Definitally would be good enough to release as a solo demo album. Good job man
timcrow420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #11
aaron aardvark

Nelson,
Intro synths are cool. Death metal vocals are not my thing, so I liked the melodic singing way better (good). Instrumentally (when everything is playing at once), things are a bit muddy....but you did say it is a demo. I like the synths at ~2:10. Ending seemed abrupt. I liked some of the guitar. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1571779
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #12
NelsonSFS

thanks guys for the input, ive been practicing and getting better at it hopefully our next release will surpass the quality of this track, ill deff post it here so u guys can critic some more
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
Commandantee

The drums have already been mentioned. Overall, this song feels like something that's been done a billion times before, maybe that's just me. The high vocals are really weak and need work, the lows are passable. Guitar work is alright, albeit quite chuggy at places. Some off notes on the cleans. Uh, the electronic part would've been cool if the song had gone on longer and it ended with it. I agree with the guy who said the productions a bit muddy, but top notch mixing isn't to be expected with something like this, so don't think about that too much. I think you're trying to fit too many different elements into one song, there's not enough repetition to make it memorable.
Commandantee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
Pond Scum
cheeto eater

Mix aside I enjoyed the hell out of the song, I like the synths and the vocals. The harmony vocals I enjoyed the most. I think this could be a reall killer song after some more work went into the mix. I think the core song as everything it needs.

Kicked ass...

Thanks for the crit!!!
Pond Scum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
NelsonSFS

hey guys thanks for the input heres another one of our songs tell me what you think so far!

Last edited by NelsonSFS : 11-19-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
Invisus
UG's Roope

If you recorded the guitars line in to guitar rig or something they would sound wayyyyy better. The electronic/dubstep intro sound decent, but the contrast in quality between that and the rest of the song kinda creates a rift between the two sections. Pretty sick album art though. Also where in NJ are you from, I'm in North/Central Jersey too lol.

Here's a song I just finished using the guitar rig vst I was talking about:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1573521
Invisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
NelsonSFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisus
If you recorded the guitars line in to guitar rig or something they would sound wayyyyy better. The electronic/dubstep intro sound decent, but the contrast in quality between that and the rest of the song kinda creates a rift between the two sections. Pretty sick album art though. Also where in NJ are you from, I'm in North/Central Jersey too lol.

Here's a song I just finished using the guitar rig vst I was talking about:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1573521

hey i actually use a line 6 ux2 with pod farm i just learned how to use impulses with it lol. im still trying to figure out a decent tone with it, and thanks i made the artwork myself and we are based in the essex county area btw ;P
Old 12-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
NelsonSFS

hey ive been making a few tweaks to my production heres a little clip of one of our new song tell me what u guys think! https://soundcloud.com/nelson-marti...solace-queen-of
Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
chrisatgrace
I've got two legs

I listened to the first track. I thought the mix of electronic and teh brutalz was cool. Some of the riffs sound a little sluggish/ could be cleaned up a little bit. Growling sounds pretty good, though I couldn't hear much of the lyrics. Singing was a little pitchy. Sounds like you guys have an awesome thing going though.
Crit me back? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru....php?p=30781344

then you'll like my band!

http://www.indecisivefew.com

...i still like big letters...
chrisatgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #20
dmitry.gubsky
Discipline me more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonSFS
hey guys thanks for the input heres another one of our songs tell me what you think so far!

At first, your song is not loud enough, I mean volume level. You should try to achieve better mix, because it sounds odd now. BTW, nice use of electronics, like it.
dmitry.gubsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: