Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #11101
codymrc
Reignofhell

I am not sure if this is common, But i know it isn't Serious.

Almost ALL of the patch jack inputs in the front of the guitar feel Loose/takes quite a lot of moving the patch cord to get sound, also my hi gain input is VERY crackly/loud feedback when i run the Overdrive Channel.

It is a used Amp that i purchased second-hand 4-5 months ago, the date of manufacturing is waay back in '05-06ish.

I'm not sure of how to fix this problem myself, as i have yet to try and fix it due to the worry of electrocuting myself/ruining the amp, but i really don't wanna pay $100 just to have some mook at my local guitar shop fix it in 10 minutes.

Advice/youtube video links appreciated. thanks
Jackson JS30KE Kelly
Washburn WV16G Flying V
Yamaha EG112C Strat-Style
Johnson DeQ 2 Distortion Pedal
Peavey ValveKing 1x12 50W Tube Combo
codymrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #11102
Raijouta
Actually called Dylan

You'll probably have to resolder the jacks. While you're at it, you might as well get the circuit mods done since you might have to pull the PCB to resolder those jacks properly anyway.

If you're going to take the amp in to be serviced since you cannot modify it yourself, you should just let them take care of things like the Mesa or JCM mod, or even installing a bias potentiometer, or adding an ohm switch for the speaker output, or any of the myriad other mods that involve slightly more 'advanced' modification than a dummy jack or a speaker swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??

Last edited by Raijouta : 11-13-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Raijouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #11103
downtuned123

i use a jackson flying v rand rhoads, peavy valveking head through a crate 4x12, but heres what im really trying to get at. i have the gain on 10, mids, bass, and treble around the middle position, and i run a boss hm-2 through the high gain on the valveking.....

YOU CANNOT GET A SICKER DISTORTION... EVER.

to get more in depth, i have the gain booster button pushed in (of course),

and i run my guitar through a boss ns suppressor, then suppressor through the hm2, then the hm2 into my head. it sounds nuts live. I play metal... in case you were wondering.

Last edited by downtuned123 : 11-13-2012 at 07:31 PM.
downtuned123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #11104
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtuned123
i use a jackson flying v rand rhoads, peavy valveking head through a crate 4x12, but heres what im really trying to get at. i have the gain on 10, mids, bass, and treble around the middle position, and i run a boss hm-2 through the high gain on the valveking.....

YOU CANNOT GET A SICKER DISTORTION... EVER.

to get more in depth, i have the gain booster button pushed in (of course),

and i run my guitar through a boss ns suppressor, then suppressor through the hm2, then the hm2 into my head. it sounds nuts live. I play metal... in case you were wondering.

If you are not diming the Mid and Low knobs on Boss HM2, you are doing it wrong. Swedish Deathmetal sound!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #11105
MaaZeus

Cab is in the house and I am not dissapointed, it sounds great even before breaking in so not in a hurry to change the speaker or anything. Also the amp itself is fantastic, with texture knob set to A (dont even dare to try AB before getting "master volume" pedal to FX loop). Of course first things I did after trying it out was insert the dummy jack and added patch cable.

It has all the gain I need when I turn it really high (maybe even dime it) and enable the gain boost, but I dont like the idea of needing to the gain THAT high and adding SS distortion on top of it (though I do have use for it. The sharpness it adds is great for black metal!) so I desperately need a good boost pedal.

Any suggestions? My Behringer isnt very good for doing clean boost. Tubescreamer (or Joyo made clone for cheap) is an obvious legendary choice, but are the other good alternatives? Possibly ones that could cook the preamps even harder than the good old Tubescreamer?

*edit* According to research of my own, it seems like Bad Monkey is the way to go.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 11-16-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #11106
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Bad Monkey bro.

turn that SS button off and boost the **** out of it wit teh monkey
Old 11-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #11107
evmac
Baroness Lover

I think my Gain boost option is broken because whenever I use it, the feedback is ungodly, like really high pitched screeching noises. Sall good tho since I don't ever need it.

Here's a new track from my band - Discovery and Compromise. We're fairly heavy and I just used my Valveking combo stock with a Bad Monkey. Let me know what you guys think about the thrash tone! I'm on the left side of the mix, and I play the fast lead riffs at the end. Other guitarist is a Vypyr Tube.

http://www.facebook.com/Thoroughbre...pp_178091127385
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #11108
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Bad Monkey bro.

turn that SS button off and boost the **** out of it wit teh monkey

Bad Monkey is in the house. And what an amazing piece of equipment it is! Now I can keep the gain boost off, gain 12 to 2 a clock and boost the bejeezus out of it with monkey. Sounds great!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503

Line6 Pod X3
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #11109
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

I love my Valveking. I had practice yesterday with my new project, a blues-rock power trio. Anyway with my Jay Turser Strat copy and a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 in the bridge, all I can say is "Wow." It has a great tone. We went through La Grange and when you really dig in it really growls. I want a Les Paul for a thicker tone now just to add versatility to my tone.
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
IronMaiden76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #11110
evmac
Baroness Lover

I used an Agile Al-3100 on the track above (which is a Les Paul copy) and man I thought it sounded amazing. The Alnico 5's worked really well, although it's not exactly a Les Paul tone (since BB's are lower output), it has a similar feel and I think it works really well with the Valveking.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #11111
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

I used to be a heavy rock/classic metal guy but for classic rock with a southern twist and a squeeze of bluesI never realized just how great the Valveking is. It's very Marshally. The dirty channel is modeled after a Marshall, no? I know the clean is a copy of the Fender. Now I need a proper guitar with humbuckers, none of my fat Strats this time I can imagine a Kramer might be good for that kinda of music seeing as EVH used one, though I might see if I can pick up an Epiphone SG or maybe a Les Paul... Decisions, decisions...
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Old 11-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #11112
SixStringSting

Hi guys,
What do you think of this speaker for a VK 100 cabinet 4X12? worth the price? http://www.sonigate.com/pt/product/...K100-12-100W-8R

Another question:
It works with 2X12? in a 4x12 cabinet ,what happen if i take off 2 speakers?
SixStringSting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #11113
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

If you only run 2 speakers as opposed to 4 the ohm rating would be different. I'm not too sure about that speaker though

Old 11-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #11114
evmac
Baroness Lover

Thinking about picking up some warehouse thirty speakers today to boost the mids of my VK. It is supposed to be a JCMish channel but I feel the stock speakers darken the tone too much.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #11115
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

I've heard good things about them. My friend has them in his cabinet, though he uses a homemade amp

Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #11116
MaaZeus

I think some tube is going bad in my amp. It has been working just fine until yesterday it started to have some hiss, almost like pink noise. It went away though. Today it did the same thing and there was some popping too and the noise is permanently back. Its not constant but it changes in volume.

Already tried tapping the tubes with a pen and none of them seem to be microphonic and judging by eye none of them look bad (silvery top is intact). But then again I am far from expert so I dont know what else to look at.

Previous owner had already changed the atleast the preamp tubes at some point (all JJ at the moment), but poweramp tubes are Rubies so there is a high change they are stock, am I right?

*edit* Decided to make a separate thread.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...75#post30657775

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 11-26-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #11117
mikeYekim
Curses & Cranberries!!

Has anyone tried the Mesa mod? I'm not very good with electronics... I wouldnt even know where to start but I want to do this mod sometime in the near future. I know the Valveking wiki tells you which parts to swap/remove but i dont know how to access those parts, or what that entails. Where do you buy caps and resistors? Is there some sort of tutorial with pics online that I could go by?

The Legion
mikeYekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #11118
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser

Take the info to your tech and let him do it! Sounds like you don't have the skills.
(2) VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...sic/play1083925BlueEyes Cr in theRain FndSS
Cap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #11119
Raijouta
Actually called Dylan

If you're not confident, definitely take it to a qualified amp technician.

I had the Mesa mod done and I love the results, although it's pretty high gain all the time now. I can get metal with the gain on 2 at times, which seems to be more and more an effect of technique. As you get better and better at playing, the less gain you need to really get the sound you want. I used to crank the gain to get Van Halen. I also find the EQ to be a lot more responsive after the Mesa mod, and the gain boost switch becomes more of a dark/bright switch, although it can be somewhat subtle unless your volume is pretty high up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Raijouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #11120
mikeYekim
Curses & Cranberries!!

I think I may do just that, I'm replacing the speaker with a Veteran 30 soon, I can't wait to hear the results

The Legion
mikeYekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: