Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
radiantmoon
UGs king kong slayer

String muting open strimgs

I saw free powers lesson on string muting and it was a great video, but it didn't cover open string muting. Is this a problem area for anyone on these forum? Say I wanted to play the open high e string, followed by the open g string, followed by the open d string for example, without the strings ringing over the top of one another. Another example would be playing the open d note followed by fretted notes on the high e string, what if I don't want the d note ringing out after it's played. I have been working on cleaning up my playing in a major way and have come to some of my own conclusions, but would be interested to hear how others go about muting, especially open strings.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
radiantmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
DylanHendrix
Acid King

For the first example it sounds like you would have to mute the strings with your fretting hand. Just dampen the strings with your fingers. For the second example I would mute with your picking hand, dampen the strings with the side of your hand near the bridge. I don't think their is a right or wrong way to mute open strings, you can use your fretting or picking hand, it all depends on the situation and specific song.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
yourguitarsage

a friend! I cover this specifically in a few videos. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...c.1.WcEhhK2siKw
yourguitarsage is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: