Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 AM   #501
Bluesblitz
Resident COOTER

Aight, good gig story time!

In late June/Early July, I got contacted by an acquaintance over facebook asking if I was interested in being part of the house band for this production of Grease he was starring in, I obliged since I was looking for gigging experience and thought it would be fun. In a few weeks, they gave me the music book for guitar, and I began rehearsing through it, with some of the songs being pretty pleasant and others sounding incredibly corny, but I knew I had a job, so I continued working at it. Eventually, I entered into rehearsal alongside the musical director on Piano, and this chill Iranian guy named Navid on drums. My first day was a bit nerve wracking considering that I hadn't been able to learn some of the songs they had, that, and I forgot my music, luckily I remembered most all of the set, didn't have to play some songs, and the two of them were pretty forgiving. Despite the rehearsals being long and pretty boring at times, with a 30 minute drive to boot, I began to fall in with them really well and got pretty comfortable with the set, being able to play through it pretty smoothly by the time opening night came around, the only thing screwing me up was the doubled guitar chart in the book, which I realized I had been reading wrong the entire time, but none the less, we entered into the first and second night, the saturday matinee and the saturday evening performance, I made a few small mistakes, but so did the piano player, and he was the musical director! Another great thing though was the fact that we were off to the side, in the dark, meaning that we were practically invisible, this gave me no stress, and I never had to deal with stage fight or anxiety about playing, even if it was the biggest audience I've played for in my 2 years of guitar. Either way, we got a healthy amount of praise during intermission, with a number of appreciative family members of the actors. By the last performance, I was glad to be done with the whole production, and the 3 of us in the backing band had grown pretty friendly and supportive of one another, but yeah, all in all, it was a great bunch of shows to add to my gigging experience.

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Bluesblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #502
yoman297
how quik do i get ban

I remember back in February we had probably what could have been one of the worst gigs ever. I was in some shitty school band which fell apart after this performance (for graduation we were to play Rascal Flatts, so we just quit the whole thing)

Before the whole variety show I tested out my guitar, and I didn't have a stand for keeping it there. So I just threw it on the floor. Same with our bassist. Another girl (who was HOT) was performing on the same night, her guitar was out of tune and she asked me to help. Turns out her fifth string was a G# instead of an A.

Just before the big concert started we found out our drummer couldn't make it.

Problem was, he was half the talent in the band. The other half was the pianist/uke player. She was pretty much a virtuoso by the age of 14.

So we watched the concert and socialized a bit with the audience. Our part was after the intermission. Our teacher made us all soundcheck during the intermission. We thought it was going to be 20 minutes but it was 10.

We frantically moved the (electric) drumkit out, got our bassist to stop trying to pick up on girls, and soundchecked. The school amp was a near-bottom-of-the-line Marshall MG, which was still better than my Fender Frontman 15G. The bassist's amp was a big Peavy, which to this day I don't know whether it was a guitar amp or a bass amp. At the last second the teacher decided we would use a DI for my guitar.

It sounded like shit.

It was loud.

I stood up behind the stage (they wouldn't let us up), the bassist sat down in a chair, the uke player sat on a stool, and the vocals lined up.

We started off with some fast song with guitar adlibs everywhere. I actually had to keep the beat, which was hard. Our second song was The Lazy Song, but only the chorus because there's some bad shit in that song!!!

The third song was Hallelujah. I couldn't play it perfect before the performance, so I sat down and had a look at it inbetween the uke player switching to vocals for a solo. It was beautiful. My guitar sounded like a honky-tonk piano, but it was still beautiful.

The last song was YMCA. The bassist asked me for the chords before, and I thought we were playing in the key of A. Turns out the teacher switched the key one step higher before we played so it sounded like shit.

Amateur hour.jpg

We got off stage walking in applause, and I wasn't proud. I asked lots of people that I thought would criticize me without being sappy, and they all said I did great.

In the end I got a facebook request from the guitar girl, recognition for being somewhat attractive (don't know where that came from), and life went on the exact same way as it did before. We told the drummer the whole variety show was shit, and we bailed right after that.

That Marshall was broken anyway.
and a bunch of other things
yoman297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #503
Brian Krashpad

US

This story is about my band, Crash Pad, and our show last month on 13 July:

High drama, appropriately enough, at the Friday the 13th show. We were set to go on second, with our former bassist sitting in.

Got our amps backlined behind the openers, a hardcorish quintet from Cali called Twitch Angry (sample song title: "On The Rag"). I'm there, then rhythm guitarist, then bassist, then finally the drummer shows.

Only trouble is, bassist has yet to say anything to me, or help with "his" bass rig (I lent him mine, which I do for our regular bassist), or even bring his bass itself into the club (it made it in because the rhythm guitarist brought it). In fact come to think about it, he hasn't even come inside.

I see him outside, leaning on an old white Camaro, with a skinny country-looking chick in Daisy Dukes kinda in his grill.

About 10 minutes later my rhythm guitarist says "We need to talk."

Sh*t. That can't be good.

"Ronnie's too drunk to play. He can hardly stand. He stayed with us since practice two nights ago and got in at like 5 in the morning drunk also, when Siri [guitarist's baby mama] had to be at work at seven."

Sh*t. Not good. Our drummer gets all hyper and prima donna before a performance, and this is not gonna sit well.

Nevertheless, gotta be done.

So I told him.

"I'm not playing without a bassist. I'll pack up and leave right now. If I had known he was gonna pull this I wouldn't have bothered bring all this gear."

No sh*t, Sherlock? Guess the f*ck what? Me neither, and I brought not only my rig (3 guitars, 7-stand, go-box, 4x12 cab, 50W guitar head, wireless unit, volume pedal, etc.) but the bass rig (monster 8x10 Ampeg SVT cab and 200W head) too.

So, unless we get a bassist we're f*cked. I have NEVER, in 30 years of gigging, showed at a venue and then scratched. In fact the total number of times I've had to scratch even with plenty of notice is probably once or twice.

We do all originals, so there's no way one of the other band's bassists could fill in. It'd be a clusterf*ck.

This leaves our actual bassist. He couldn't make the show because he was downtown playing keys in front of several hundred (at least) people with his cover/show band. So, our record label guy drives me downtown, drops me off, and circles (due to all the people on the plaza, where our bassist's show band is playing, it's impossible to find parking downtown, without going into a paid garage), while I try to get the message to our bassist about our dire straits. (Both I and our record company guy have texted him, but of course he's not going to get those until after the set, if then.)

As I arrive, he's singing lead on a song, so I don't even make eye contact. I wander around the edges of the stage and to the board, looking if there's a visible set list, so I can figure where they are in their set.

No luck.

I run into a mutual acquaintance. "I didn't expect to see you here! I thought you had a show tonight?"

"Well, I'm not sure if I do or not."

She agrees to tell Joel, our bassist, about the sitch as soon as he finishes the set.

I wander back to the front of the stage. As the song ends, Joel looks up from his keyboard and sees me, with a surprised, befuddled look.

I make the universal hand sign for "crazy" (circling hand near head), then the gesture (pinky and thumb extended to resemble a telephone held to one's ear) for "call me." He nods, but I'm still not sure he's fully understood. And then their next song begins.

My work being done, I go back to the crowd's periphery at our agreed-upon pick-up point, and our label guy circles round, picks me up, and we drive back to the club.

Now we wait.

About 20 minutes later, a couple minutes past ten, I get a text "I can be there in about 30 minutes, have to break down."

OK, this might actually work. The opener has not gone on yet, but the stage manager has just said he needs to start at ten. I go outside and hang with the guys from the headliner, the Pinkerton Thugs. I am not sure if their bassist is merely friendly or is hitting on me. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Just before 10:30 our bassist rolls up. His show band had all been wearing black slacks and white dress shirts, but he'd worn a black T under the shirt. So all black will be "close enough for gub'mint work," as my dad would put it.

Within 5 we're on. Because I'd gone on the premise of the show being a 3-band bill, as of our previous practice (the second touring band having gone off the tour when its van exploded), our setlists were for a full 45, rather than the 30 we ended up with, so we have to excise numbers as we go. Fortunately this surprisingly works well and does not cause any undue delays between songs.

In fact, I hafta say, despite (or maybe because?) of all the drama, we kicked ass and took names.

The other local band, that followed us, was quite good. And the Pinkerton Thugs were really fantastic. I wish they could've played to a bigger crowd. They closed with a sublime cover of the Clash's "Straight To Hell."

Krash happy.

Finis.

The lot:

Man of the Match:

Man called Mitch:

Our diva:

Our protagonist:
Brian Krashpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #504
busstopninja

Well, it isn't exactly the story of a gig... I was playing "Lord Only Knows" by Beck in my school's spring show (sort of a talent show, but not really). None of my friends who played any instruments knew who Beck was nor were interested, so I got to play alone, playing guitar and vocals.
I'll start off by saying that I was playing a fairly large auditorium, and my amp was an un-mic'd 15 watt, 1x8 combo practice amp. And It goes downhill from here. The night before the show everybody got a practice of their piece. I was performing near the end, and before I could practice my piece, the kid in charge of the show had to leave- and he took his mic with him. So I had to do my practice take with just the guitar, and I had no idea how loud the mic would be. After I'm done, I pack my guitar away in my case and put it in a corner where it's safe.
The next night, I had a soccer match that ended halfway through the show, so I showed up like 15 minutes before I go on, dressed in soccer gear, sweaty, and muddy- I'm the GK so I do a lot of extra diving. I was disgusting. When I go to take out my guitar, I find the case open and empty. Frantically asking around, I found out the kid who is in charge took it out of the case and leaned in up against my amp, on a rug.
The fact that it isn't in a stand or case has got me nervous, as it's a pretty nice guitar. So I'm watching the few acts before me and I watch in horror as somebody jumps on the rug, which shifts, and pulls my guitar down with it. So my guitar's lying on the ground for the rest of the time 'till I go on, with people walking/running around it. Great.
Finally, I go onto the stage to play my piece to find that my cable had stripped from being flexed or stepped on or something- I could see both of the wires in it. I went ahead and start playing but my guitar was pretty quiet and kept cutting in and out because of the broken cable. When I started to sing, my voice blasted out of the PA and you can't hear the guitar anymore. I turned the knob on my guitar up to add some volume, and it fell off, rolled across the stage, and was gone. I was left trying to sing, play guitar, all while fumbling for the little pot shaft to do something about my guitar's volume. I'm still singing when the mic cuts out. So far, it was quite the disaster... so I slowly just faded out halfway through the song, switched to distortion, and turned my amp up. I proceeded to end my song my playing lots of loud, fast, high notes- takes little-to-no guitar skill but it sounded good and the audience seemed to like it.
Afterwords, everybody said they loved my song.
busstopninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 AM   #505
Bluesblitz
Resident COOTER

Mo' gig time! Did an open mic earlier this evening, so I'll give a brief rundown of some of the acts before mine: Lot's of singer/songwriters with acoustics doing indie/alternative stuff that you hear a lot were I live, but yeah, some were good, some I didn't like quite as much, none of them were any better or worse than each other fundamentally, just my taste. However, there was one good comedian who did some great commentary, but eventually, I went on. I played a medley of "Diamond Head" and "Apache" in the style of the Ventures, only real problem was my high E string going a bit flat, but I just stopped playing it after I realized it, but in all honesty, it went by pretty much without a hitch, two other axe slingers told me how they really liked my playing after, which boosted the confidence that I have so little of, lol. Afterwards, there was an acquaintance of mine who did a nice/funny rendition of the "Arthur" themesong, and a rapper and his buddy, who pretty much freestyled around "SATAN IS MY DADDY.SWAG" while wearing low riding jeans, no shirt, and tie-dye boxers, all very funny, plus there was a flawless juggler at one point, he was chill. Looking back on it, I've stopped stressing about my E string and the other 2 or so out of key phrases I might have played, and I think everything went over pretty darn nicely.

-Howlin' Wolf
Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #506
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

I've only done four real shows, so I'll just talk about them all:
My bands first gig this past July went off as fabulously as it could have. We were there 4 hours early and one of the bands dropped off the bill just in time for us to have to be there an hour later. There was an incredibly drunk man who appeared to want to have relations with the chair another guy was sitting in, so it's not like we had nothing to do. Our guitarist was puking in the bathroom and somehow we lost a microphone and my guitar stand (though our bass player recovered the stand). We were there first so we got to setup our gear exactly how we wanted and there was food from the wedding party before us so that was cool.

The actual set went off with only one flaw, we couldn't hear ourselves very well and the other guitarist came in to late on one riff, but that was it. We did our thing, got a nice pit going and made some money. All in all an excellent start!

Our second show was a battle of the bands that had a rapper with booty dancer (I couldn't complain) and a 12 year old and his dad who took 45 mins to setup and played 3 songs with a drum machine and quite frankly the most b-e-a-u-tiful rigs I've ever seen, Hughes and Kettner and the g-systems and the custom guitars and basses and the floobity bop. The had custom mic stands and flight cases...they did way too much for the event. Anyway, we won and we're going to the next round, though we've decided we don't really want to do it. We had the other bands crowds cheering! One band was from out of state and they were one of my favorite of the night (Adalia from Virgina) and one guitarist was absolutely perfect, The Dani Vargas Band.

Our 3rd show was not as good and nothing particularly noteworthy happened other than we got to hear groups like crimson arrow.

Our 4th and most recent show was this past Sunday with a fill in vocalist because ours was stuck in another state. It was awesome, our best show yet, but our main vocalist does not seem to thrilled with our solution. In fact the fill in came in the day of the show, made up the lyrics on the spot and did an exceptional job.

The only problems presented have been the other guitarists wireless set, It screeches and this last show, it ran out of batteries so he just used the shortest cable on the planet and he kept coming unplugged....so yeah...

We're still booked through the year, so we've got a lot more memories to be made!!
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>

Last edited by sonny bb : 09-04-2012 at 11:59 PM.
sonny bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #507
cheapr2keepr

OK, here's a story how to get hosed. Sorry, kinda long.

Our band had a split show with another rock band to play a Saturday night gig. It was their gig, but they didn't have 4 hours of material. Our singer used to jam with the leader of the other band, so she set it up. Band A would go on 9pm to 11pm, and we would do 11pm-1am, using their sound system and lights.

After promo'ing the event to all our friends and fans for a couple of weeks via word of mouth and FB, 3 days before the show we find out that Band A is pulling out of show due to disagreement with bar owner over money. We were now left with either bailing with Band A and hoping they could find a venue to play in 3 days, or trying to get the original venue to let us do the show by ourselves. We had by now notified friends/fans that the show was cancelled/postponed.

We got the owner to let us play, and he'd comp us beer. We own sound equipment and lights, and would provide it. Hey... it's just a hobby for us. We are supposed to go on at 9pm on a Saturday night, and do about 3 hours of material. Show back on, friends/fans notified.

10 hours before the show, we get a call that we will now have to bump to start at 11, and share time with a DJ and his hip hop party. We were irritated, but didn't want to cancel AGAIN to all our friends and fans who had already set aside that night to come out.

We go set up at bar, run through a low volume sound check, and amps/mains/monitors all work. All that's left is to tweak balance just before kicking into our first song.

Here's BIG problem number 1: The crowd is decidedly younger than we normally play for, and it is a techno/hip hop DJ and crowd full of bro's and ho's, complete with Affliction gear, fist pumping, and big baggy pants. We will have a TOUGH time winning over a hip hop crowd of 100+ while playing The Cult, Danzig, Metallica, Pantera, etc. covers along with an original or two. We better play flawless...

Problem 2: DJ party is in full swing. LOTS of people, lots of dancing, club is crazy, lots of booze flowing. They don't wind things down until 11:10, after we are told to shorten our first set to 5 songs. So now we are going on late with an abbreviated first set, drastically shifting gears from club hip hop music to hard rock covers.

Problem number 3 occurs: Our sound system has functioned FLAWLESSLY for months. Somehow one of our main speakers started dropping out and fizzing up when hit with higher sound levels. Our sound guy could not get it fixed, and the sound was AWFUL. We bailed after a total of 3 songs of crappy sound.

Total unmitigated disaster. Disappointment for our friends and fans who had waited through too much hip hop to hear us play.

Lessons learned:
1. Make sure you get a good feel for the "identity" of the venues you play at. Don't be so desperate that you make a bad decision to play someplace that isn't right for you.
2. We should have bailed the moment we were told to bump for a DJ party. What it turned out to be was a double booking like and airline does - Overbook your entertainment. If the DJ party was a flop, the owner still had us in the back pocket and only had to pay us beer. If the DJ party was a huge success (and I must say, it was), then the band becomes largely unimportant and unfortunately gets squeezed out into a smaller set, or perhaps none at all. We were pissed! We kinda got used because we were a fairly no risk venture for the club owner.
3. We had done several sound setup checks flawlessly before transporting the gear. We should have insisted on a full volume sound check, but thought we were ok and didn't want to interrupt bar activities.

Great learning experience, tho. It was one of those things that only the school of hard knocks teaches.
cheapr2keepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #508
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!

Hey guys, gather around for storytime!

So basically, this one guy in this one black metal band and his buddies that are about a ten hour drive away from my town, Kelowna decided to make a point of letting everyone know his opinion on our band. He really doesn't like us for whatever reason.
He posted on our page,(Not exactly, he deleted the comment after admitting defeat)
"I hope you come to CITY soon so I can shit on you and tear you apart." There was another line but I can't remember.
One of the big promoters in Kelowna who also is involved with the biggest metalfest this side of Canada saw this post and got pissed off at the guy from CITY. Big promoter guy said they would never play in Kelowna or anywhere near. His band wanted to play at the festival next year.

Long story short, don't fvck with other bands as it might get you offed of some bills.

I just wanted to share this so other people can find the hilarity and irony in it.
The names where withheld(albeit Kelowna, look right. No point in censoring that word.) so I don't cause any shit.
Now, remember this before you go publicly insulting any band on a Facebook page. Perhaps you will think twice.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #509
Bluesblitz
Resident COOTER

Another open mic story: This must have been early October when I went to my second open mic, but I decided to get more prepared and make a backing track in garage band on my laptop and bring it with my rig. I arrived kind of late, and the coordinator confirmed with me that I would be going next after the poet before me, so there was a gap between the previous performance and mine because I had to set up my amp and laptop. I played a little jam on the backing track, only problem being that the track glitched and got sort of fizzy/cut off, but I did an ad-hoc variation of "Rude Mood" by SRV, and finished my set. Overall it was a lot of fun, and It felt good being well received after, so all in all, it was a blast.

-Howlin' Wolf
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #510
Xaven

Recently, we had an open-mic night at my high school. I couldn't get a full band in time, so I was planning to go up alone. Just two days before, I had learned "Daydream Believer" by The Monkees, and figured I'd play it there. It was acoustic only, and my Norma FG-3, hardly stays in tune. After a two hour tuning session (it took THAT long), it sounded great. So, I head on down, and sign up for after intermission. During the intermission, I was making sure it was still in tune. My friend said she was going to sign up as the finale, and I offered my guitar as backup.

I go on up, and I say flat out to the audience: "I've never performed with my guitar in front of this many people, I just learned this song two days ago, and I can't sing to save my life. Davy Jones, please don't be offended."

I stared at the fretboard, and played. About halfway through, I started playing random chords to cover for the lack of piano, and finished to the only standing ovation the entire night.

For the finale, we did "Lean on Me", and I played guitar as promised. We had some others up there with us, and when my friend started on a solo, one of her friends told me to stop playing - my guitar was too loud. Me being me, I continued to play, only palm muting.

I thought for sure it was my worst performance, but the crowd says otherwise. Next one's in March, and if we can't get a band for then, I'm performing solo again.
Xaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #511
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaven
one of her friends told me to stop playing - my guitar was too loud. Me being me, I continued to play, only palm muting.

Well it's not your fault that the guitar was too loud, that's the sound guy. It was actually the right thing for you to do in that circumstance.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #512
Slashiepie
Banged

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit2006
Hey guys, gather around for storytime!

So basically, this one guy in this one black metal band and his buddies that are about a ten hour drive away from my town, Kelowna decided to make a point of letting everyone know his opinion on our band. He really doesn't like us for whatever reason.
He posted on our page,(Not exactly, he deleted the comment after admitting defeat)
"I hope you come to CITY soon so I can shit on you and tear you apart." There was another line but I can't remember.
One of the big promoters in Kelowna who also is involved with the biggest metalfest this side of Canada saw this post and got pissed off at the guy from CITY. Big promoter guy said they would never play in Kelowna or anywhere near. His band wanted to play at the festival next year.

Long story short, don't fvck with other bands as it might get you offed of some bills.

I just wanted to share this so other people can find the hilarity and irony in it.
The names where withheld(albeit Kelowna, look right. No point in censoring that word.) so I don't cause any shit.
Now, remember this before you go publicly insulting any band on a Facebook page. Perhaps you will think twice.

Just insult them anonymously with fake accounts under proxies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #513
Tombe
Post-Rocker

My most interesting gig recently was when a promoter that we'd done a few gigs for booked our band (a folk-rock 3-piece) on the bill of a punk and metal night in a venue that even by room-above-a-pub standards is grotty. For this reason, the other two didn't want to take the gig but I persuaded them to, so on my head would have been it had it gone badly.

And in a way, it did. Or lots of ways, actually. Our singer normally plays acoustic guitar but had recently decided to Go Electric and buy an Epiphone Casino, so we decided this would be as good a gig as any for our first ever electric set. We were assured that a backline would be provided, and once we turned up we saw that it was, in the form of two huge stacks made by Diezel or some other brand usually used by people who don't know the difference between gain and volume. Since we were on first, we soundchecked last on a bill of 6 bands. When we finally got up there it was 10 minutes before stage time so there was just time to make sure everything worked (it didn't - the speaker lead on the singer's amp was broken) then we had to launch straight into it.

At this point, the singer decided to help the situation by dropping her new and very beloved guitar. The point of impact was between the edge of the stage and the high E string, right next to the bridge, which of course snapped. There was definitely not time to do anything about it because we were being politely but firmly asked by the promoter to get on with it. This wasn't helped by our drummer doing what drummers always do behind their kit, which is banging very loudly on everything whilst you're trying to have a conversation right next to them. Because of our very loud drummer and the lack of any monitoring at all, about 5 seconds into the first song I realised I couldn't hear the singer's guitar at all so I had to just play along with the drummer and hope that it was in time.

What followed was both the loudest and most ramshackle gig we'd ever done. The mix of Telecaster and Casino through two big amps actually sounded pretty good after all the technical niggles, but between songs there was a lot of 'Can you play this with 5 strings?' 'Er... No' 'Right, what else can we play?' whilst a dumbfounded crowd of punks and metalheads looked on. There was also the very awkward moment when I realised I'd left my Ebow in my case, which was over by the sound desk, so I had to wade through the crowd to go and get it.

But we pulled it off - just about - and afterwards I was told that we sounded like The Velvet Underground. I'm yet to beat that one.

FUZZY FLATPICKER σ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.

Last edited by Tombe : 03-03-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Tombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #514
slap-a-bass
Slapper of the bass

First off, lovin the thread and the stories!

This is the story of my last band who just recently broke up, and lemme tell ya, it's been a learning experience.

It started about 3 years ago when i had just recently become re-acquainted with someone i went to elementary with. He was always playing the drums, but i didnt start bass until highschool so when we met up we realized that we need to jam. First and foremost one of the best drummers i've ever played with, schooled on anyone in this whole area, and he played my type of music, tool SOAD BTBAM sounding metal, thats what we were all about.

So we jammed for a couple months came up with some cool stuff and so the drummer brought a friend in on it to play guitar, he was eventually fired, not really on time to practice and recording nor our style, but he did rythym parts good enough while he was there. At that point i started to show them my songs that i had made previous to meeting up with said drummer and they totally digged it and we started rehearsing them.

At this point we start talking about the bands future, the sound, the direction, and the drummer told me he wants a star lead guitar player for arpeggio solos and such, the music i wrote didnt really have call for that but i kept the possibilities open for that too if it were to happen. Drummer also had some carpal tunnel and back problems so he told me that he wants to sing for the band because he doesnt want to further injure himself like he might have in his previous band on drums and also he loves to and knows he can. I was shocked when he said this i KNOW for a fact that he cant sing as well as he can play drums, but i stood by his decisions, while he took singing lessons, and he was always using his dvd instructionals to prepare his vox and stuff.

So then drummer knew a temporary person to fill the lead guitar spot in who also could record us, so he volunteered to take lead guitar parts and we eventually recorded with him, drummer doing drums and vox, our first rythym guitar player and me (those recordings are in my profile). So maybe a year goes by (still rehearsing my songs with a couple new ones) and we have not found our permanent lead guitarist, and we know we gatta do something so we really start cracking down on finding ourselves members. exdrummer-singer finally finds a pretty good drummer that finally sticks and feels like a good match (but still not as fluent as singer-turned-drummer, we had to babysit him through the songs) who brings his long time friend in on it to fill rythym guitar.

And finally i bring in the last member to complete the band until its break up, my friend "lead guitar player". He's no shredding monster but hes good for the part, especially since the bands direction has started to come out and he can definitely do the parts make em sound good he could even do backing vocals what else do you need? So right away we start practicing the songs, the lead parts definintely changed since the temporary guitarist and recording days, but not for the worse. It sounds great, and i am all but anxious to play a show. That's all i wanted, was to play one show.

We all knew his vocals weren't that great, but nobody really had the balls to say anything, at this point it was too late anyways, the lineup was final and he was trying really hard taking lessons practicing everyday, we could all admire and be motivated for that. The real problems of the band starts here, we could barely get a practice in a week, was a combination of schedules overlapping for work or other bands i dont know, there was always an excuse. Next thing was that the drummer rhythm player and singer-exdrummer wanted the band to be a collaborative effort, so we looked for ways to collaborate but couldn't really find any, i kept telling them lets just focus on the 5 songs and 2 covers that we have get em down play a show or 2 then we'll throw those aside and come up with 5 whole new songs together, but it never happened we never made it there. Anything collaborative we may have tried didnt sound all that great and it was just a confusing situation.

They never said it but they were obviously talking behind my back saying i have an ego and that the band has to be run my way or some bullshit when i explained to them how many times that we have to play a show theyre overe here thinking about god knows what saying shit like "if the band makes it on your road, your fiancee won't be a problem right?" to the rythym guitar play, they called lead guitar player cheap jsut because singer exdrummer filled 5 bucks in his gas twice to go to practice.

The final straw to end it all was when they told me and lead guitar player to come to practice that we have practice on that day so we go on time all excited to play and shit, we see the drums are completely dismantled in the garage and them waiting to talk to us. At this point nothing about this has crossed my mind, but as the events start to unfold i see exactly what is happening. Singerex says that he wants to kick leadguitarist out because hes not technically efficient, after what we had been through to find them, after we nicely filled up the empty spot in our band you wanna go and **** everything up so you can find your star shredding guitar player? And then he expected me to stay? We were shocked and lead guitarist even tried to get him to reconsider, so did i, everything that he said we had an answer for, it lasted like an hour of them just going back and forth, slowed down and got awkward cuz he wouldnt change his mind and by the end of it all rythym guitar player was on our side because nothing he said made sense. What a waste of time, you gatta do everything yourself in this world.

I realized a few days later he did all that because he was looking for a way out himself, that he knew he couldn't do it. He wants faster heavier music with more screamo vox now, well OBVIOUSLY you want that now because you just realized you cant sing >.<

thats it, i know its a long read but feels good to get it out man. I know to stay away from people like this now in my journey as a musician. There's no room for doubting yourself, and there is no holding back. If he was a true drummer he would drum until the day all his limbs fell right out of their sockets. Good day gentlemen

Last edited by slap-a-bass : 03-06-2013 at 06:31 PM.
slap-a-bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #515
petrucciator101

Lot's of great stories here guys!

I got a small one that just happened recently. I just ordered a moen gec9 a few days ago, went thru the chaos of buying some of those George l cables and wired everything up. I had a gig the next day so I totally locked myself in the studio "ignoring" my wife and son :P. I was pumped that I had my presets and everything, played the gig the next night, sounded great and was getting used to stepping on ONE click per sound....weird. So the next night I was heading to corpus Christi tx to play at a Harley Davidson event. Still excited about my new moen toy. Play the first set with ease, took a break and I come back and I noticed I can't switch patches on the moen. I panic a little and figure "ehh i'll just unplug it and plug it back in", I do that and NOTHING turns on. I look at the footswitch like someone just dropped a turd in my cereal. Breaks over and im on stage and the rest of the band is just starring at me asking whats wrong. Im unplugging cables left and right and my sax player comes up to me and is bugging me saying "dude you gotta try these chili cheese fries"... or something like that I don't remember, I snapped and said "DUDE hold on man im busy!" I really didn't know what to do, unplugged my amp and all the power cables and still nothing, everyone is waiting for us to play and ... ugh. I had to go straight into my amp with no channel switching, needles to say the gig went on fine but I was still mad cus I couldn't switch between dirty and clean.... major peeve of mine. On the way back home im in a total ass mood. Luckily I talked to the company and I can send it back for a replacement. So I sit here waiting for that til the time being.
petrucciator101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #516
b_nosy
b_nosy

Ok well this was at a party this other band was putting on for me on my birthday. It was at a friends house at around 12 o' clock.
well a lot of people showed up and my band was the second to last to play because we were starting to get pretty big around here (that band is in studio right now), But anyways all these slightly drunk people were coming up to us and sayign we were awesome and the usual drunk talk. anyway the guitarist from the next band went up to me and asked me if I could do vocals for his band when they play as there vocalist had just quit that night. I said yes and got ready to play again

Now that band that I was in, well none of us drank at all... until that night. Well before we got on stage the guitarist (from the band i was filling in for) Gave me a shot of vodka. my first drink of alcohol in my life!! Needless to say since it was my first.. it hit me pretty quick, and during the first song i accidently hit myself in the Face with the mic, after the first song with them i was passed a beer and drank about half of that before the second song started.

After the second song I finished my can and was passed another hah this process repeated itself and about aroud the 4th song was very very very drunk.. after the 5th song was over I was passed another shot of vodka and like an idiot.. I drank it.. well all i can say is that I remember the song starting, and once again hitting myself in the face and slipping on spilt beer.

After slipping I open my Eyes and find that I am laying on a couch with the sun shinning brightly in my face. I get up see there are a few other people still out of it and a few people up stairs still finishing off one of the kegs. One of those people was the guitarist from that band he saw me and laughed, asked if I even remember last night, of course I say I don't even remember getting off stage, he laughs more and hands me a cup.

Well since then I quit the band I was in, due to personal issues between me and the other lead guitarist (I did second guitar and screams), and joined the band I drank with, and well I learned not to drink to much while playing a gig haha or well not to drink before or during your set.
b_nosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #517
DCREEGS

Well I'm not sure if this counts, but.....I wanted to play in my last talent show of elementary school. So I got this trio together or me on guitar, a semi-close friend on drums and another friend on vocals. Not to brag, but practices were annoying considering I was superior at doing everyone's job (that sounded really awful but its true.) Then it turned out, the bad vocalist was a better drummer than our official drummer, who only made it to half the practices. Long story short, the day of the show is there. We planned to play a little of "Another Brick In The Wall pt. 2" to mess with the teachers. I was the only one who did it. So after "We don't need no education," I was like "Just kidding" and then launched into the intro the "Runaround Sue." We pretty much nailed it for having a crappy drummer, and crappy vocals. But it was fun anyways.
DCREEGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #518
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^^ Are you sure you're boyfriend/girlfriend? Just sounds like you made out with a drunk chick who punched you in the balls and passed out.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #519
Tombe
Post-Rocker

The other night I somehow got persuaded to join my mate's psych-rock band. On electric mandolin. Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?

Well, incredibly, nothing. It was a pretty high-stakes gig, a headline slot for a promoter that they'd never done a gig for before, in one of Brighton's most well-known venues (The Hope, for anyone in the know). And things were stacking up against me - I'd found time to jam once with my friend, who's the frontman, but not with the bassist or drummer. So I had nothing more than a vague idea of how the songs went, and I hadn't even played them with the full band. I had to get out of work early, and my boss is now getting pretty annoyed that the "Can I leave an hour early to get to soundcheck in time?" is now becoming a pretty much weekly occurrence.

Somehow, though, it all just came together. I found a surprisingly good tone running the Mandocaster through a Big Muff into a keyboard amp, and stomping on a phaser just sounded absolutely enormous, a really crazy sound that just seemed to keep on going up and up (I'd put it down to the keyboard amp not attenuating the super-high frequencies like a guitar amp does, but that's really boring...) which was a good sound for dramatic moments. The frontman had lamented to me that he's the only member of the band who ever moves - the bassist is brilliant, but not particularly animated, and the drummer is obviously stuck behind his kit. So I promised I'd get into it with him, which I did. For half an hour we played terrifically noisy psych-tinged rock and roll, leaping around, contorting, standing back-to-back and generally doing things you should expect grown men to be beyond. I also realised that the lynchpin of my very limited musical talent, which is that if I watch someone playing a song I can usually manage to join in by the end and have the whole thing down by the next run-through (minus any twiddly bits), was coming in handy because I actually seemed to know what I was doing. What I was doing was making a load of reverby, distorted noise on a mandolin but hey, it worked.

During the last song I was playing harmonica into a bullet mic and it's a two-chord bluesy number that had descended into a jam by the end. Completely independently of each other but at exactly the same time me and the frontman jumped off the stage and into the crowd. We spent about 2 seconds being professional and trading licks off each other before we just ended up jumping around, running into each other, tripping over leads and trying to push each other over. The song ended with the last chord being held for about 2 minutes - I'd done the theatrical collapse of exhaustion on the stage (I was actually pretty knackered by this point) then realised that the song was in no way over so I just cranked everything on the pedals and kicked the mandolin a few times.

I hadn't realised at the time but the gig was an audition. I passed with flying colours. It also taught me that it's great to just lose your inhibitions and have a laugh on stage sometimes, and that going out into the crowd really is great fun.

FUZZY FLATPICKER σ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Tombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #520
Mad-Mike_J83
Offset Infantry Division

This was in the band I'm in now, about 2-3 gigs ago....too awesome not to share...

We were playing a little local bar and grill that we frequently play.......

At this show, I"m playing 2 guitars
My EMG'd Jag-Stang with brand new strings
My Cool-Railed Jaguar with old worn out strings

So for drop-D songs, I use my Jaguar, drop tuning it does not throw the vibrato out of whack, but one thing does - breaking strings!

Now, I don't use the Trem Lock button on that guitar at all (a little metal bit inside the tailpiece that locks the trem from going back if a string breaks), it's setup to dive-bomb with that floating tremolo with as much downward range as possible, rendering the Trem Lock totally useless.

Anyway, we're just about up to the solo on one of the faster originals, and were just kicking ass that night, and just as the drum fill pre-solo kicks in BAM my D string broke!

Whammy bar in hand, I held the Jaguar's vibrato bar steady while I ripped my way through the solo so nobody would notice, then just as we hit the last verse, I quickly batted down the 6th string (dropped to D), and kicked on my Digitech Whammy in 5th's mode to ride through the rest of the song until I Could change over to my trusty Jag-Stang.

On the recording, can't even tell I broke a string, just a millisecond of a 6th string in D# before engaging the whammy and dropping it down simultaneously. Actually, the end of the song sounded kind of cool with that whammy 5ths thing going on.
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (Stock)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)

Lead Guitarist for Zombie Jihad
Mad-Mike_J83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: